PO: Pelican - Forever Becoming

Well now I feel like an idiot for buying the first "limited" version because the splatter seems to look cooler. Not buying another copy though, fuck that.

Such a random-ass way to handle this pre-order.  I'm on the fence about switching.  I think both variants will look nice, but the splatter has potential to be more interesting.  I'm considering writing them to cancel or swap variants, right now.

Guest Justin Maheiny

I ended up buying both variants. I can't wait for the /100 tri-color haze mix splatter die hard that they put up tomorrow morning.

haha totally.

I want both but I'm not giving into temptation and supporting this. And yes, I'm sure the splatter is a double lp. From Facebook "Southern Lord Recordings this is a 2 x LP as well!"

The Pelican facebook page posted yesterday "FYI half the preorder vinyl color is sold out, so move fast if you want one!!" acting as if this would be the only colored records available but knowing perfectly well they will just put up another "limited" color with the same # pressed immediately afterwards.

This should be no shock though. Southern Lord is always screwing over fans of their bands. How many times will Sleep's "Dopesmoker" be out of press only to be repressed on another one-time only color?

And on the opening page of Southern Lord's website the "store" icon for the Pelican "limited" vinyl release leads you to the $20 record.

Same exact record if you click on the "digital store" tab which is directly under the "store" tab is $23.00.

Their website has always been a complete mess though.

LOL at saying SL are "screwing over" fans by doing this. People that worry this much about colored variants should just quit buying records all together. I'm glad they keep pressing the Sleep record. Then no one has to pay insane amounts to own it. 

Well now I feel like an idiot for buying the first "limited" version because the splatter seems to look cooler. Not buying another copy though, fuck that.

yep.

I ended up buying both variants. I can't wait for the /100 tri-color haze mix splatter die hard that they put up tomorrow morning.

jeje...sarcasm at its finest re: the "/100"  ;)

Where are the details on this /100 at?

Secular Haze zinger...he should be working for SL :)

I'm staying with the Halloween motif, not worth the hassle. The track streaming today does sound promising--avoiding proverbial jibes at previous drumming issues or the last record.

Guest realtalk

The Pelican facebook page posted yesterday "FYI half the preorder vinyl color is sold out, so move fast if you want one!!" acting as if this would be the only colored records available but knowing perfectly well they will just put up another "limited" color with the same # pressed immediately afterwards.

Gullible. Lolz.

LOL at saying SL are "screwing over" fans by doing this. People that worry this much about colored variants should just quit buying records all together. I'm glad they keep pressing the Sleep record. Then no one has to pay insane amounts to own it.

It's all supporting a band you love and the label that pushes them forward!! But one or both, it's all support!! :)

Guest Justin Maheiny

You're right man. I'm gonna really rethink this whole collecting records thing.  It just never really felt right to me and, to be honest, I stress out waaaay to much over it.

But this right here, is why I post on forums.  To get life advice from people I've never met that feel the need to criticize other's comments and opinions as if that stranger behind the computer actually cares about what they think.  Clearly the self-esteem movement has served you well.  Have you thought about starting an advice column? I'm sure you already have a blog.

You'll probably be happy to know that you just earned yourself one "like" from me, Your internet reputation should send me a thank you card because I'm sure you care about that almost as much as I care about colored variants.

I look forward to reading your responses to any and all posts I make in the future.  Of course that's only if I decide to continue collecting records right?

You're right man. I'm gonna really rethink this whole collecting records thing.  It just never really felt right to me and, to be honest, I stress out waaaay to much over it.

But this right here, is why I post on forums.  To get life advice from people I've never met that feel the need to criticize other's comments and opinions as if that stranger behind the computer actually cares about what they think.  Clearly the self-esteem movement has served you well.  Have you thought about starting an advice column? I'm sure you already have a blog.

You'll probably be happy to know that you just earned yourself one "like" from me, Your internet reputation should send me a thank you card because I'm sure you care about that almost as much as I care about colored variants.

I look forward to reading your responses to any and all posts I make in the future.  Of course that's only if I decide to continue collecting records right?

My only response....hearty LOL

Oh, and sorry, I don't have a blog.

While overall, introducing a new "limited" variant a day or two after selling the first "limited" pressing isn't that big of a deal, it's the shady and nontransparent way of going about it that got to me. I'd be perfectly fine with it if they simply announced that they'll have 3 different exclusive pre-order variants, since they'd obviously sell out relatively quickly. I didn't feel there was any need to push the first variant like they did as if it was the only variant available. Pelican is a "popular" band and their music was practically made for vinyl. Of course it will sell.

I did feel a bit odd about limiting the first variant to 500.. shoulda known. I don't have the extra money to throw around, so as much as I want the splatter, I'll be sticking with my original order. 

Also, the $23 version from the digital store (bandcamp) includes a download code, while the $20 version doesn't. Also dumb, but I hope the band gets a chunk of the digital rev as well.

If you won't accept "screwing over," will you agree that they are at least "screwing with"? I like the initial version I ordered, and will be happy with it. But it would have been nice to know up front that there would be a splatter variant available, in case I liked that one better.

Sort of like the airlines----music labels should learn that it's bad business to "screw with" their most loyal customers.