PO: Pelican - Forever Becoming

See: Star Wars guy.

Yes! They should combine their innovative no-fucks-given marketing ideas, and renovate the way vinyl is ordered online.

"Select your preferred colorway from the dropdown menu. Please note, however, that we will send you whatever variant we prefer. Because fuck you. And if shipping seems to high at checkout, shoot us an e-mail. We will promptly respond and tell you to fuck yourself."

If you won't accept "screwing over," will you agree that they are at least "screwing with"? I like the initial version I ordered, and will be happy with it. But it would have been nice to know up front that there would be a splatter variant available, in case I liked that one better.

Sort of like the airlines----music labels should learn that it's bad business to "screw with" their most loyal customers.

I just don't see anything wrong with how SL went about this. I think people get too worked up over such trivial things about records. There's never been just one variant of any Pelican release (aside from maybe a single or EP). 

Guest Justin Maheiny

I just don't see anything wrong with how SL went about this. I think people get too worked up over such trivial things about records. There's never been just one variant of any Pelican release (aside from maybe a single or EP). 

You don't see anything wrong with Southern Lord having one of their bands post updates on facebook about their record sales like: "FYI half the preorder vinyl color is sold out, so move fast if you want one!!"

Then as soon as the "preorder vinyl color" is sold out, another one is released and fans post on Pelican's facebook page that it's screwed up to have to pay for shipping twice to get both copies, or that they like the 2nd set more, etc. and the band is pressured into responding with: "don't kill the messenger. We did not know there would be a second vinyl color pre order. If you have issues please contact the label directly".

Just seems kinda dick to me that the band doesn't even know how many of their records are being pressed or what format they'll be on.

I don't care that there's more than one variant of a record. But don't tell me there's only a limited number of Boris Pink lps on pink vinyl when they go up for pre-order only to find out that later "limited" means 3,000, every single one of them was on pink vinyl, and I could have supported a local store by buying one there. It's stuff like this that makes me think they are out to screw people.

You don't see anything wrong with Southern Lord having one of their bands post updates on facebook about their record sales like: "FYI half the preorder vinyl color is sold out, so move fast if you want one!!"

Then as soon as the "preorder vinyl color" is sold out, another one is released and fans post on Pelican's facebook page that it's screwed up to have to pay for shipping twice to get both copies, or that they like the 2nd set more, etc. and the band is pressured into responding with: "don't kill the messenger. We did not know there would be a second vinyl color pre order. If you have issues please contact the label directly".

Just seems kinda dick to me that the band doesn't even know how many of their records are being pressed or what format they'll be on.

I don't care that there's more than one variant of a record. But don't tell me there's only a limited number of Boris Pink lps on pink vinyl when they go up for pre-order only to find out that later "limited" means 3,000, every single one of them was on pink vinyl, and I could have supported a local store by buying one there. It's stuff like this that makes me think they are out to screw people.

Don't see anything wrong with the situation at all. They happen to be pretty nice and if it's that big of a deal, I bet they would switch colors for people that politely ask. They probably would combine shipping for people that want both as well. They definitely aren't out to "screw" their customers. 

Don't see anything wrong with the situation at all. They happen to be pretty nice and if it's that big of a deal, I bet they would switch colors for people that politely ask. They probably would combine shipping for people that want both as well. They definitely aren't out to "screw" their customers. 

I see what Justin is saying here, and I have to agree with him.

Basically they're misleading customers into thinking the first press is going to sell out when they pretty much know they still have a second colour available.

I suppose I'm just not on the same page as you. I was under the impression they pulled the initial 500 out from under everyone -- they even posted a message that specified when that would happen. Everything I've read - up to this point - would imply that they didn't even sell out of those initial 500 copies. And then suddenly putting up another 500, on a different variant? Immediately after? There's no way those were represses, you know? Those were clearly in a box somewhere, possibly labeled "2nd batch: don't sell for 48 hours".

At the end of the day, it's all going to sound the same, sure. And of course it'll be possible to swap variants with a bit of e-mail badgering. That's not the end of the world, of course. But to say that SL is just as upfront or thorough with their POs as any of my aforementioned labels... that just seems asinine to me.

I just truly see nothing wrong with how they handled this. Also, I never said the next batch was a repress. I knew from the start that there wouldn't be only 500 of something Pelican variant related based on all their other releases. I don't see why people are upset over 500 more copies on a different color out there for others to get. I see that as a good thing. I like how they kept pumping more represses of Sleep - Dopesmoker since a bunch of people missed out on the first few batches.

And maybe, just maybe those splatter copies were going to be used as tour copies but since SL sold through so quick on the first batch, plans changed. 

In the end, I just find it baffling that people get so up in arms and worried about their record no longer being "extra limited/exclusive." 

I get what you're saying and where you're coming from. (And by no means am I trying to argue or change your perspective. I'm just providing my own here.) Don't get me wrong -- I'm all about represses and more copies being made available for the public. Accessibility is a wondrous thing in the vinyl game. But that's not really what everyone is "upset" about, here, I think. At least not for the majority of us. A lot of folks couldn't care less about the rarity, and are more concerned with aesthetically alluring wax to accompany their listening experience. And as such, the splatter variant is admittedly fancier than the initial copies up for order.

People are miffed because both options weren't offered from the get-go, when they really should've been. And who knows? - maybe you're right, and those splatter copies really are tour variants that the label had to dig into. But I highly doubt it, personally.

At the end of the day, I'd be happy with the initial copy I ordered. I may see about adding a splatter or swapping it out via e-mail, but I have a sneaking suspicion they won't be getting back to me. They're wringing out the variant collectors and hardcore Pelican fans, by doubling up on the shipping and tax fees. That's what it feels like to me, anyway.

Because snot-nosed crybabies quite often have respectful discussions of wavering opinions?

^This.  granted, the discussion was a little idiotic at first, but derek and nothingnatural exchanged some pretty decent points regarding this release.

Personally, I don't see much of a problem with this release so far.  I'm really surprised people thought the first variant would be the only non-standard version.  500 is low for this.  I figured several colors would be released, given how recent Pelican albums have been issued.  I don't care for either pastel variant so far.  Hoping for a standard black.

^This.  granted, the discussion was a little idiotic at first, but derek and nothingnatural exchanged some pretty decent points regarding this release.

Personally, I don't see much of a problem with this release so far.  I'm really surprised people thought the first variant would be the only non-standard version.  500 is low for this.  I figured several colors would be released, given how recent Pelican albums have been issued.  I don't care for either pastel variant so far.  Hoping for a standard black.

I'm sure you won't have to hope too hard for that one.