Universal Vinyl Reissue Crowdfunding Project

This.

The more say I have in the process the better as far as I'm concerned.

This is all just a sneaky way for Universal to maximize their profits without taking any financial risk.  They're pretty much figuring out what record they can sell the most, stick an hefty price tag based on "exclusivity" and the promise of getting "art prints" or other useless things to justify the price.

So its like most major label vinyl releases, except they aren't committing to producing a LP if its not gonna sell. Sounds like a fine business strategy.

And really the only downsides are 1) you may pay a bit more for a record than what a normal record could cost 2) The record doesn't get the funding and doesn't get produced. 

Its pretty smart on Universals part actually. I hope it happens.

Ok yes. This is shitty on the part of a multi billion dollar business, but they are a business and crowd funding is a good way to calculate risk. They didn't get to be a multi billion dollar business by being stupid. If you read through the threads for oop or first time pressings by small labels banking on the "MTV generation's" nostalgia, the hardest part is getting the label that owns the rights to commit to a pressing because they want guaranteed units. This basically illustrates that fear but also illustrates that the format is making a significant comeback and as usual the major labels are late to the party.

So while it sucks that companies that don't need the money are using a crowd funding business model, that's all it is- a low risk business model. What REALLY sucks is that these small boutique labels may not get as many of these "nostalgia" releases anymore and the time, effort, and overall quality that goes into this kind of pressing/packaging will be lost to the power of the bottom line. They will also probably still cost at least as much as an SRC or ETR release, for example, however instead of paying mostly for steep licensing fees, above and beyond pressing/packaging, and a bit for the limited nature of the units, we will be paying almost exclusively for exclusivity. In conclusion, *fart noise*

This is all just a sneaky way for Universal to maximize their profits without taking any financial risk.  They're pretty much figuring out what record they can sell the most, stick an hefty price tag based on "exclusivity" and the promise of getting "art prints" or other useless things to justify the price.

Hey man they'll have quality art prints, you know like they did for What it is to Burn and Artist in the Ambulance  :lol:

Word is bond, unless I see a legal document that says they will remix the audio from the multi-instrument files or source master tape...

I guess question is, is there anything in their catalog that needs to repressed?

Because I don't really need another Nirvana represses

Personally, there's a couple of Weezer/Rivers Cuomo albums that were never pressed that I am dying to have.

Jimmy Eat World's Futures, Static Prevails, Stay on my side tonight are all Universal as well.

Oh yeah, don't forget about TDAGARIM...

Not only do I own about 75% of the releases asked about on the survey, but they're distinctly ones that I never paid more than a few dollars for at record stores. You can basically find all of them crowding the clearance and dollar bins of records stores across America. What a waste of materials if any of that stuff gets reissued.

I actually like this model, my concern is more with Universal's track record with vinyl. They have a spotty history when it comes to doing proper remasters and quality checks on their releases.

Still, there are some albums that may not even be on their radars that could garner a good bit of money via this platform. Just a few off the top of my head:

Jimmy Eat World (Futures and EP's)

Matthew Good/Matthew Good Band

Kanye West (Graduation)

Frank Ocean (Channel Orange)

The Killers (Hot Fuss)

Ellie Goulding (Lights)

Finch (Say Hello to Sunshine)

And that's totally okay, seriously.  It's not sneaky at all.  I want to tell them exactly what I want.  If they jack the price, I won't buy it, simple as that.

I actually like this model, my concern is more with Universal's track record with vinyl. They have a spotty history when it comes to doing proper remasters and quality checks on their releases.

Still, there are some albums that may not even be on their radars that could garner a good bit of money via this platform. Just a few off the top of my head:

Jimmy Eat World (Futures and EP's)

Matthew Good/Matthew Good Band

Kanye West (Graduation)

Frank Ocean (Channel Orange)

The Killers (Hot Fuss)

Ellie Goulding (Lights)

Finch (Say Hello to Sunshine)

Futures is coming next year, from what I heard.