PO: Russian Circles - Memorial (Media Mail back on Hello $5.50)

///// TRANSLUCENT STEEL GREY /////

I know a few of us are looking for the translucent grey version of Memorial, still.  There's a seller listing one on Discogs for $35 or so.  His name is MUNSTERAMA, and his listing can be found here.  After contacting the seller, I discovered that his copy is sealed and he literally has no idea what color it is.  He's just listing it under a random variant on Discogs, I guess.

Figured you guys would like to know.

///// TRANSLUCENT STEEL GREY /////

I know a few of us are looking for the translucent grey version of Memorial, still.  There's a seller listing one on Discogs for $35 or so.  His name is MUNSTERAMA, and his listing can be found here.  After contacting the seller, I discovered that his copy is sealed and he literally has no idea what color it is.  He's just listing it under a random variant on Discogs, I guess.

Figured you guys would like to know.

Wow, that one never even hit my watch list. Thanks for the heads up though. I

have contacted 3 or 4 sellers who listed under Translucent Gray, who all took the listings down as they did not know what variant it was or checked and it was black.

The listing before the most recent was a pip - made him an offer, like 2 Euro less just to see - and he said 1. It is too much trouble to lower the price because I have to cancel and relist (no you don't, you just edit) 2. "I have the only one listed, so there" ie I'm a Flipper and those 2 Euros are my ego boost for the day.

All of us have bought things we ended up not liking and need to sell, but clearly not the case above.

But this is life with variant-itis. So be it.

I will say I surprisingly had a few friends there who were less than impressed.

Wait, what?  How?

Back in 2012 I talked a friend into attending one of their shows.  He hadn't heard any of their material outside of spinning Station a few times.  And after the show concluded, he claimed he was very pleased with their performance, and insisted that they put on a hell of a show.  Which they completely did.  Band simply kills it.  Not sure what your friends were expecting or hoping for.

Some said it was too long and boring. It did take them a while to start and took a while between a few songs. I mean it happens but the band was awesome. Can't please everybody.

I did however wish for more Enter songs in the set...but regardless I celebrate their entire catalog. Went home and ordered Empros. Someone sell me or trade me a Station LP.  

Wait, what?  How?

Back in 2012 I talked a friend into attending one of their shows.  He hadn't heard any of their material outside of spinning Station a few times.  And after the show concluded, he claimed he was very pleased with their performance, and insisted that they put on a hell of a show.  Which they completely did.  Band simply kills it.  Not sure what your friends were expecting or hoping for.

There are people, Derek, out there in the world.... they don't understand music without vocals. Hell, they don't even understand music with vocals if it doesn't fit the typical radio friendly paradigm of traditional Rock/Pop/Hip-Hop/R&B. My girlfriends siblings listened to less than half of "Kerosene Girl" and couldn't fuckin' deal with it. Couldn't even accept it. Granted they were listening to songs through the shit hole speaker of an iPhone but still. I know far too many of this type of people.

Some said it was too long and boring. It did take them a while to start and took a while between a few songs. I mean it happens but the band was awesome. Can't please everybody.

I did however wish for more Enter songs in the set...but regardless I celebrate their entire catalog. Went home and ordered Empros. Someone sell me or trade me a Station LP.  

I feel like the sort of people who wouldn't enjoy a RC show are the same kind who can't acknowledge instrumental groups as "a real band" due to the lack of vocals.  A handful of their songs are lengthy, and no doubt far more enjoyable once you're familiar with them... but unless you've got a seriously narrow attention span, I don't understand how you couldn't at least be entertained by their musicianship.

There are people, Derek, out there in the world.... they don't understand music without vocals. Hell, they don't even understand music with vocals if it doesn't fit the typical radio friendly paradigm of traditional Rock/Pop/Hip-Hop/R&B. My girlfriends siblings listened to less than half of "Kerosene Girl" and couldn't fuckin' deal with it. Couldn't even accept it. Granted they were listening to songs through the shit hole speaker of an iPhone but still. I know far too many of this type of people.

Oh okay.  You posted this halfway through my response to the quote above, so that makes sense.

You're essentially telling me that victimofadriveby needs better concert buddies.

I feel like the sort of people who wouldn't enjoy a RC show are the same kind who can't acknowledge instrumental groups as "a real band" due to the lack of vocals.  A handful of their songs are lengthy, and no doubt far more enjoyable once you're familiar with them... but unless you've got a seriously narrow attention span, I don't understand how you couldn't at least be entertained by their musicianship.

Oh okay.  You posted this halfway through my response to the quote above, so that makes sense.

You're essentially telling me that victimofadriveby needs better concert buddies.

And that I also do as well.... ;)

Haha! Seriously. I can't stand the narrow-mindedness. My gf's sister was like mocking the song with some sort of horrendous croaky faux-Black Metal voice. I was like "you clearly didn't hear the song at all through your phone. His voice, never for one second, sounded anything like what you're doing right now."

Her brain could not process what was actually happening.

Wait wait I only said some not all! My wife thoroughly enjoyed it as well as a few other friends. I still love those who don't understand it...even with their short attention spans!   ;)

And that I also do as well.... ;)

Haha! Seriously. I can't stand the narrow-mindedness. My gf's sister was like mocking the song with some sort of horrendous croaky faux-Black Metal voice. I was like "you clearly didn't hear the song at all through your phone. His voice, never for one second, sounded anything like what you're doing right now."

Her brain could not process what was actually happening.

I won't derail this thread into a Young Widows discussion, but... yeah.  While they're not the most accessible band out there, to say that the vocal delivery is black-metal esque is pretty far off.  It's been a painful reality, but I've come to accept that many of my friends and loved ones simply can't music to save their life.

But pertaining to the band at hand... there are people like my dad who are completely unaware that "post-metal" is even a genre.  He listens to classic rock exclusively, but he can still appreciate the play-style and technicality that goes into this band's performance, and their ability to write engaging music.  I believe, 100%, that he wouldn't find himself bored at a Russian Circles show at any given point.

Wait wait I only said some not all! My wife thoroughly enjoyed it as well as a few other friends. I still love those who don't understand it...even with their short attention spans!   ;)

Your wife is a keeper.  Glad to hear you weren't the only person at the show who had a good time.

I'm a huge Pelican guy. Having Memorial drop before Forever Becoming was like a bday on Christmas. But I'll be damned if this wasn't one of the top instrumentals of the year for me.

Seriously.  I think I've come to play and enjoy Memorial more, but having both bands release an album around the same time-frame was incredible.  I always use their names in the same sentence when discussing post-metal and stellar riffs.  I feel really grateful and even a bit spoiled to receive a full LP from both of them last year.

I've come to accept that many of my friends and loved ones simply can't music to save their life.

Its lonely here, isn't it?

I've influenced my brother a lot toward all this obscure but great under the radio radar gold but other than that, most of the people I associate with are completely clueless. I know not everything is for everyone but it doesn't make sense that certain friends of mine won't touch some bands I like with a ten foot pole even though they sound like they're heavily influenced by some of their favorite popular or classic bands.