Why do YOU collect Vinyl?

to answer this question, i'll have to ask myself circa 1980:

"Why are you calling it "vinyl"? Well, anyway, I always buy records because if I only bought the cassette, I could only listen to it on tape! so i'll just buy the record and tape it! Now i can listen to it on my walkman and my record player! I'm sure any other format in the future will always be cheap and easy to fabricate from a record. Hey, wait! Are The Police still around?"

Like the OP i just love all things music and collect anything to do with independent music , the weirder the better . I own around 2000 records and the first year or so i collected them for the art's sake and didn't listen to them much but now i enjoy the way they sound better than Cds ( i refuse to take part in mp3) and love all the options and the covers and vinyl are a thing of beauty if done right as seen in the new Teenage bottlerocket boxset . It sucks as the nearest record store is 2 hours away and i agree to collect records you can't like having money as you can easily spend a grand a month if you buy what you want which is impossible for me 6 months out of the year as my job that really brings in the money is seasonal .

I collect vinyl for many of the same reasons you've mentioned.  I've always been a die hard for the physical copies of an album, because the artwork is a part of an album, so having something that you can do more to than a cd is very appealing.  The biggest reason I collect vinyl though, is to collect reminders of my life, each record has a small story, whether it's one of my favorite records of all time, or I just got it at a show, or I just found it on a good day.  My collection is a part of me.

I collect vinyl for many of the same reasons you've mentioned.  I've always been a die hard for the physical copies of an album, because the artwork is a part of an album, so having something that you can do more to than a cd is very appealing.  The biggest reason I collect vinyl though, is to collect reminders of my life, each record has a small story, whether it's one of my favorite records of all time, or I just got it at a show, or I just found it on a good day.  My collection is a part of me.

This.