PO: Polar Bear Club - Death Chorus

IanRees

I actually really like the new song.....

He's a bit more nasally, but not unbearable. Also since the vocals are relatively untouched aside from some reverb, and he's a REALLY good vocalist, it makes it that much cooler and more impressive when he hits the highs. 

I hated Young New England but I think the raw sound works much better for him.

But even without vocals, it's a really good song.

He changed his vocals and they changed their style slightly....therefore it sucks and is disappointing. :rolleyes:

Whatevs. People are entitled to their opinions, but that's just the impression that I get. I did get the Saves The Day vibe at the beginning of the song but not so much later on. I do like it, but I think it drags a little bit with the repeated lyrics over the last minute of the song. Other than that, pretty good.

He changed his vocals and they changed their style slightly....therefore it sucks and is disappointing. :rolleyes:

Whatevs. People are entitled to their opinions, but that's just the impression that I get. I did get the Saves The Day vibe at the beginning of the song but not so much later on. I do like it, but I think it drags a little bit with the repeated lyrics over the last minute of the song. Other than that, pretty good.

I mean... it doesn't necessarily suck, but when you've come to expect a certain sound from a band and their new material is a complete departure, I don't think it's unfair to be disappointed.

Do i think the new stuff sucks?  No.  Do I enjoy it anywhere near as much as Chasing Hamburg or Clash Battle?  Nope.  Loved dude's voice on the previous records.  The new style just isn't doing it for me.

I mean... it doesn't necessarily suck, but when you've come to expect a certain sound from a band and their new material is a complete departure, I don't think it's unfair to be disappointed.

Do i think the new stuff sucks?  No.  Do I enjoy it anywhere near as much as Chasing Hamburg or Clash Battle?  Nope.  Loved dude's voice on the previous records.  The new style just isn't doing it for me.

Fair enough. That understandable. I like more fleshed out comments like that rather than just saying you're simply disappointed. I too like their previous three albums because of his vocal flare. However, I have heard that, like other vocalists, he needed to change his vocal style to save his vocal cords from being destroyed. Regardless of whether that is the case or not, I do like it when bands switch things up a bit and try to expand upon their sound or simply try something new. It may not be as good as previous albums, but I try not to expect bands to continue in a certain direction and that way I am not disappointed when something like this happens and I simply enjoy it for what it is even if I don't enjoy it as much as previous works.

I don have a problem with a band changing their style. I just dont think they executed this new style very well. Hopefully their live show wont suffer. Seeing them in December.

Their live show is still flawless. My girlfriend didn't know the three bands on the TBS tour and she loves Polar Bear Club now.

I dig the new stuff a lot. I'm all for Jimmy showing off more of a vocal range. I think the band and Will both killed it from what I heard so far. What grinds my gears is that with Rise, in order to get the most rare variant or 7 inch you have to order their most expensive bundles. Kinda bums me out that their exploiting the whole rarity of a record to sell more expensive bundles. 

Just wanted to add a few things in here.

Rise is picking the worst singles for this record. It is hurting the hype. The most recent single is a five minute album closer, and not their best.

I would have picked SIX different songs that are way better than the ones featured thus far. That said, my AP review was 3.5/5, not as glowing overall as it could have been.

There's a contest to win a test press and guitar for Death Chorus:

http://www.altpress.com/contests/view/polar_bear_clubs_death_chorus_guitar_giveaway

I am originally from Rochester, NY and was spoiled with the fact of seeing PBC on a regular basis, and they are easily one of my favorite bands. I will always support them, but I am nervous that tonight when I see them with TBS  I am going to be slightly let down with their new change in style and his vocal change.