Guest deathbydrums

I dig his songs, but when I saw him here, he would tell people to "shh" when he was singing. Then he would say, "Shut the fuck up" if they didn't be quiet.

I'm okay with that. Some music is made for dancing, some for shouting along to, some for a backdrop while you hang with your buds, and some for shutting the fuck up. His music is "shut the fuck up" music.

i dont know how anyone could possibly know whether it meant last June, this June, or June 2026

It's been on that page since last January or February, so I was assuming that they meant June 2013, as I can't imagine that they were announcing a pressing a year+ in advance.  But given the inconsistency of Caldo Verde vinyl releases, I guess anything is possible.

It's been on that page since last January or February, so I was assuming that they meant June 2013, as I can't imagine that they were announcing a pressing a year+ in advance.  But given the inconsistency of Caldo Verde vinyl releases, I guess anything is possible.

Well they announced the Christmas album over a year in advance so maybe they were.

EDIT: Also, I like the fact that there's a catch-all thread for Sun Kil Moon.

I dig his songs, but when I saw him here, he would tell people to "shh" when he was singing. Then he would say, "Shut the fuck up" if they didn't be quiet.

I saw him at Troubador a few years ago. I was standing in the back near the bar and I could not hear him at all. I understand he plays very quiet and intimate shows, but if you're not within spitting distance of him, you won't have a good time. 

Guest deleted

^^^

I'm sure it depends on the venue and PA set up. He's usually amplified so its not like its just acoustic guitar and voice... you don't usually need to be right up front.

One show I was at a girl in the FRONT ROW was turned around, not looking and just gabbing, taking photos. Koz gave her a look or two and tried to ignore her but pretty quickly told her to shut the fuck up. It was pretty harsh and she left right away (without her friends) but at the same time it was called for... she was distracting to even me as a viewer so I'm sure as a performer it would be annoying as hell.

Lesson: If you're going to gab, etc. at more acoustic or intimate shows pick your time and place.

When I saw Mark a couple months ago he pointed out that there was a single empty seat in the front row. He told us how much it bugged him and asked if anyone wanted to move up and take it. One guy yelled yes and Mark immediately turned him down saying he wanted a woman to take the seat because it was a sausage fest for the first couple rows. He got an attractive woman to move up and take the seat. The concert rolled on and was beautiful. After the show, Mark gave the girl his number. Haha.

Guest deleted

Benji CD description:

Limited edition 2CD version includes 5-track bonus disc* Mark Kozelek is back with a new Sun Kil Moon album featuring Sonic Youth's Steve Shelley, Jen Wood (who has worked with the Postal Service), Will Oldham, and Owen Ashworth (formerly known as Casiotone for the Painfully Alone, now of Advance Base).

The only one I can't listen to is Dogs, it's just TOO open.

But that's why Mark's stuff gets hype... he's unabashedly honest and open and his songwriting isn't twisted to rhyme or be poppy it's like diary entries set to music. It makes you blush and your skin crawl a little bit sometimes because it hits home. I like it, but you've gotta be in the right mood.

I've listened to it a few times and I like it a lot.  It didn't blow me away like Perils from the Sea or Like Rats did, but I think this one will take some time to sink in.  I've also been at work both times, so it hasn't had my complete attention.  Carissa, Richard Ramirez and Micheline are the immediate standouts for me.  I love the narratives he constructs within his songs, each one is like a short story.

i really wasn't psyched for this record after Perils.  i thought that Perils was overall disappointing considering the amount of hype it got (and deserved prior to release), and thought this was gonna be another flop.  Among The Leaves was amazing, though.  Benji follows suit in progression of MK.  let's hope this makes it to vinyl soon.

HUGE Koz fan here and let me start with this: He has been DONE since April in my opinion (with slight exception to Perils). This is not to say that ATL and AFP had their gems, but as a whole his new records have been unbearable. How many songs to we need to hear about how your back hurts and how exceptionally talented you are?

Please go back to the days of Old Ramon and Ghosts, play either of those against Benji and you cannot argue

Benji is 1/10 guys, let's be real here