PO: Fuzz [Ty Segall] (Deluxe ltd 250, clear & light blue available)

dreamwolf

Personally, when I pay $50 for a record, part of what I pay for is the exclusivity of owning a limited pressing. With that in mind, I'm disappointed. I know a lot of VC'ers differ from my opinion when it comes to limited vinyl, but I feel with that hefty price tag, they should have left it as it and not pressed more deluxe editions. I'm not looking to flip it, I'm just looking to hold it in my hands, spin the record, and know I have something special. Maybe it doesn't make any sense, but then again I paid $50 for music I could have easily stolen off of the web for nothing, so making sense may not be my thing.

True, they could've done the 750 Deluxe run at around 30$ and still profit handsomely I bet.

The standard edition is 10$ not bad for what I've seen for cassette collectors.

There's no reason for a standard cassette to be $10. I could understand if it was $10 shipped but they tack on another $5 to ship a cassette (tapes can ship First Class for around $2). I wanted to grab the Sleep - Holy Mountain tape a while back but there's no way I'm paying that much for a tape. I'm not trying to bitch or anything but certain labels are being ridiculous when it comes to cassettes.

There's no reason for a standard cassette to be $10. I could understand if it was $10 shipped but they tack on another $5 to ship a cassette (tapes can ship First Class for around $2). I wanted to grab the Sleep - Holy Mountain tape a while back but there's no way I'm paying that much for a tape. I'm not trying to bitch or anything but certain labels are being ridiculous when it comes to cassettes.

I agree 15$ is pricey. Crappy economy we live in, take into account some people have to put food on their tables whether it's selling coffee or records I guess. Plus it's not like it's Universal Music Group or Warner Bro's releasing a mass of these at a time. I guess that's one way to see it. 

I agree 15$ is pricey. Crappy economy we live in, take into account some people have to put food on their tables whether it's selling coffee or records I guess. Plus it's not like it's Universal Music Group or Warner Bro's releasing a mass of these at a time. I guess that's one way to see it. 

I can see what you're getting at. It's the fact it's a tape that they're charging that much for. They are beyond cheap to make. I have been involved with a fair amount of tape releases myself so seeing standard tapes for $15 shipped is just nuts these days. They have a huge profit margin on those. I'll be the first to admit that I overpay for records all the time (I'm a huge Melvins fan) but standard tapes being that high is just dumb.

I feel like maybe if they'd kept the initial pressing to 500 and given the band 100 less to sell on tour then things might have worked out a little more evenly for the obvious online demand. I'm still beyond psyched to receive the LP in its sweet fuzzy sleeve but it's a slight bummer to know that both standard coloured editions are now more limited than the most expensive option. 

Yeah, I just read this and am pretty fired up about how they are running things over at ITR.  I havent seen this before, listing an awesome "limited" version of the vinyl at a pretty hefty price and then having an additional 250 pressed because it did well?  Maybe if it was a different pressing or anything was different with it really.  Are they going to be dropping the price overall, or are they being completely greedy?

The thing that really gets me is how they handled this drop.  The whole thing seems like false advertising to a person who hasnt looked into it.  From an initial look the normal person would think that the deluxe version was limited to 250, right?  Oh wait now its 500 total, lovely how that came out after everyone bought there copy from ITR.  Wait now its 750.

I dont think that Third Man or anyone else out there that sells limited pressings would EVER go back and say "well since this vinyl sold really fast and did well, I think we should press more vinyl for it."  So like a year down the road if there are a ton of people requesting this "Deluxe" version, ITR are you going to release even more.

I bet once its all said and done, this will be an edition of 2500, just saying.....

250 x 50 = 12,500

500 x 50 = 25,000

750 x 50 = 37,500

10,000 x 50 = 500,000

The possibilities are limitless, I think that ITR would prefer the latter.

Sorry everyone, just kind of grumpy over this.  I was originally very excited about this release because I thought it was special and now I dont know if I even want to justify the $$.....

Yeah, I just read this and am pretty fired up about how they are running things over at ITR.  I havent seen this before, listing an awesome "limited" version of the vinyl at a pretty hefty price and then having an additional 250 pressed because it did well?  Maybe if it was a different pressing or anything was different with it really.  Are they going to be dropping the price overall, or are they being completely greedy?

The thing that really gets me is how they handled this drop.  The whole thing seems like false advertising to a person who hasnt looked into it.  From an initial look the normal person would think that the deluxe version was limited to 250, right?  Oh wait now its 500 total, lovely how that came out after everyone bought there copy from ITR.  Wait now its 750.

I dont think that Third Man or anyone else out there that sells limited pressings would EVER go back and say "well since this vinyl sold really fast and did well, I think we should press more vinyl for it."  So like a year down the road if there are a ton of people requesting this "Deluxe" version, ITR are you going to release even more.

I bet once its all said and done, this will be an edition of 2500, just saying.....

250 x 50 = 12,500

500 x 50 = 25,000

750 x 50 = 37,500

10,000 x 50 = 500,000

Sorry everyone, just kind of grumpy over this.  I was originally very excited about this release because I thought it was special and now I dont know if I even want to justify the $$.....

If you're that unhappy about it, then you should write to ITR and cancel your order for the deluxe edition. I'm sure somebody else will buy your copy.

It's ridiculous how people are getting up in arms about this. I love how people have some absurd expectations about how labels are supposed to conduct themselves regarding pressing records.

They shouldn't press more because more people want it. I want to be special and have something NOBODY else has!!

Or from the Scott Pilgrim thread:

They can't do another red vinyl pressing! That goes against the rules!

If they want to press more copies, then let them press more copies. If you don't like it, don't buy it. All of this should be about the music. If you like the music buy it. If you're just buying the record because it's a limited edition, you're doing it wrong.

Yeah, I just read this and am pretty fired up about how they are running things over at ITR. I havent seen this before, listing an awesome "limited" version of the vinyl at a pretty hefty price and then having an additional 250 pressed because it did well? Maybe if it was a different pressing or anything was different with it really. Are they going to be dropping the price overall, or are they being completely greedy?

The thing that really gets me is how they handled this drop. The whole thing seems like false advertising to a person who hasnt looked into it. From an initial look the normal person would think that the deluxe version was limited to 250, right? Oh wait now its 500 total, lovely how that came out after everyone bought there copy from ITR. Wait now its 750.

I dont think that Third Man or anyone else out there that sells limited pressings would EVER go back and say "well since this vinyl sold really fast and did well, I think we should press more vinyl for it." So like a year down the road if there are a ton of people requesting this "Deluxe" version, ITR are you going to release even more.

250 x 50 = 12,500

500 x 50 = 25,000

750 x 50 = 37,500

10,000 x 50 = 500,000

Sorry everyone, just kind of grumpy over this. I was originally very excited about this release because I thought it was special and now I dont know if I even want to justify the $$.....

I bought the deluxe and really don't have a problem. So more people who really want this can get it and an amazing label who sells things for great prices and generally tries to keep everything in print will make some extra money? Sounds like a win/win. So a moderately small band and label have a chance to make a few extra bucks, good.

In The Red Recordings Russ Tipple and Marty Gregory This record was priced at $50 not because we only made a really small number but because they are ridiculously expensive to make. There's hardly any profit in it - we did it because they look damn cool. I'm sorry that it makes you feel less exclusive or that the rarity of your item has been diminished. We've been overwhelmed with email from people upset they missed it so we figured another small run was in order. At only 750 I think it'll still retains it's eBay value for you. 

/end thread

My thoughts:

Why not just press more copies...on a different color vinyl?

Then those that bought it because it was rare/to flip/ or to catch them all still have originals that are the actual amount that the company said they were going to release.  Those that want one just to have one can buy the new color and since they just want one why would a new color bother them at all. Those that are completist have a new version to buy and the company can make more money by selling them this new version.

If any company thinks there is any chance they may want to make more of a release in the future....just don't give out the release numbers.  Say its limited but don't be specific.  Once you state a number then sell more you are just lying to your customers.  If you say its limited print all you want; it will still be limited to however many you make (or limited to the ammount of vinyl that exists on earth.)

People that are complaining about the complainers....really?  Different people buy/collect things for different reasons.  Can't we all just get along?  Is it wrong for someone to want to sell something some times?  Is it wrong to keep a rare record in your collection and never let anyone else have a chance at it? 

Everyone has different opinions and we don't all have to have the same thoughts; thats a good thing!

So this is the bus I'm on. 

-The more the merrier! I think a ton of Ty Segall fans should have a fair chance at the deluxe edition. So two things, ITRR shouldn't have invited a select few to know when it was being released! (Because believe me, he himself e-mailed me to tell me it was being released that Sunday and he told me night but I found that it was available afternoon PST)

-And the advertising was just horrible created a hype atmosphere of buy it now or it's gone forever. When a label posts out of /250 that makes people panic and not think about the costs. It's understandable that the Deluxe costs more to make and they don't profit as much off of it. But now the Deluxe special edition is less rare than the "other" limited Blue copy!

So yes, the more the merrier but just horrible horrible initial marketing. 

100% agree with Parker, manicdogbert74 and the statement from ITR. People need to stop being so nuts over how "exclusive" their record is. The people that worry about that shit are the ones that never play the damn thing in the first place. The eBay comment from ITR was spot on.

I will say that I buy limited editions myself but I welcome more being pressed as it just means more for people that missed out.

Guest deathbydrums

Posted this below in the "Scammed Again By Bullshit Claims of Ltd Pressings" thread a few years ago:

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/64718-scammed-again-by-bullshit-claims-of-ltd-pressings

Back to the topic...

When dealing with the public, a policy of "no surprises" is always best (in the long run, anyways... short term/immediate sales likely spike when "surprises" are involved and this is where the shadiness, resentment and claims of scam begin). I DO feel that some labels/record sellers knowingly benefit and boost sales from intentional vagueness in wording.

These two points are what cause people's "bullshit claims of limited pressings":
1. Record labels/sellers know that people jump on limited edition stuff... the more limited, the faster they jump.
2. Record buyers know that if you want limited edition stuff you must purchase it quickly.

In addition to good literacy skills and clear wording, how difficult is full disclosure and transparency? How long does it take to write any one of these?:
-this is a repress
-this is the # repress
-total edition of ____, this many of each color
-this will/will not be repressed

Let's hear of more examples... this is what the post is supposed to be about and this is perhaps one of the very "limited" ways we can expose these claims and express our displeasure. I chose to not expose any claims that I feel are bullshit despite the fact that I feel there are more than a few. Instead, I would like to say that customers DO greatly appreciate transparency. Some record sellers could learn a lot from the likes of Top Shelf, Denovali and many others. Most of 'em are good, in fact!

THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE LABELS WHO ARE OPEN AND HONEST!

FUCK ALL Y'ALL WITH THE MISLEADING TACTICS.

THERE SHOULD BE A LAW AGAINST THIS KIND OF THING!  haha.

Can't help but feel there wouldn't be this kind of outrage if the deluxe version was $40 as opposed to $50. A single LP for $50 just seems greedy; pressing more copies and keeping the crazy price only compounds that. In The Red can do whatever they want, but this all feels a little shady, and as someone who has pressed a bunch of records in the past, I find it tough to accept that there's "hardly any profit" in a $50 record, no matter how fancy the jacket.

I ordered the deluxe version as soon as it went up, and I had/have no intentions of trying to flip it. It irked me that they misrepresented the quantity from the start, but I'm not canceling my order because I very much want the record, even at that insane price point. That said, I'll have to think hard about dealing with In The Red again.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to deal with ITR again.  outside of their first 200-300 on color this is really the only variant thing they've done and I doubt they will do anything like this again due to all the complaining.  They have been pretty clear cut about everything and it is hard to beat this:

PRICES (postage paid):
7" $6
12" $15
CDs $10
double LPs $18
T- shirts $12