Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I don't think the prices for STB have gone up a ton, as they were always on the high side. I looked back at some of my receipts and the Curse the Son obi was 26.99, so up a buck. My diehard Geezer was $40. The inched up prices could just be due to increasing costs. I think it's more that the music quality has gone way down. Also, a diehard that comes with a tape is completely unappealing to someone who currently does not own a tape player. With the rising prices of MANY records I think more of us are just buying less. These days it's exciting to find limited records that are still around $15.

True. It's not so much that I hope it'll make him see that his prices are "way out of line" (I don't necessarily think that.) But more I'm hoping that he'll be a little more discerning about which bands he signs. The last few new bands he's brought on seem to be in a similar vein, and it's not a sound I really care for.

There is probably a thread for this and when I start a new one someone will be able to dig it up, as usual. Anyway, this is an interesting article that relates to our current discussions about vinyl prices and how we are heading towards a slide. http://www.stereogum.com/1889324/weve-passed-peak-vinyl-here-comes-the-collapse/franchises/but-whos-buying/

[Randy] Boyd at Cobraside Distribution works with 300 to 400 stores nationwide and says his sales are down 20 percent to 30 percent from last year. “The buying public is rebelling at the new, higher prices,” he says. “I think over the last 12 months we’re trying to sell into a headwind. When the vinyl resurgence started 10 years ago, new vinyl was $16 and so was a CD. Now the CD is $10-$12 and the vinyl is $30. Many people aren’t that committed to vinyl.”

In this technology world we live in where everyone can hunt for deals im not sure how these labels thought they could command these prices. Wait 3-6 months, sometimes less, and you can find alot of these over inflated prices down to what it should be 10-20 bucks for a record.

it is also a bad sign for smaller labels when you can get the releases for less through a place like amazon than you can direct from the label. How many times have we all said oh ill just wait till its on amazon. I bought the new melvins reissues for like 5 bucks cheaper than they were through third man and had free prime shipping to get them to me so i probably saved like 25 bucks between the 3... Things dont add up...

Any time I'm buying reissues of older stuff I wait for Amazon for the most part (sub-pop reissues excluded. gotta get that loser edish.) because it ends up being cheaper. Which makes me part of the problem of smaller record stores going out of business, but I have a finite amount of money.

That said, I rarely buy reissues from major labels anyway because originals often end up being less expensive.

The whole record scene has gotten way out of hand with pricing lately though. 

When prices began to surge, I took it as a response to discouraging the secondary market, which I was ok with when it was smaller labels putting out very limited runs. With great care put into the details of the packaging. In many cases, you were paying more for a little extra something that felt special. But over time, larger labels started adopting this strategy, but without the attention to detail. They would put out bundles with tees, totes, or just make the vinyl a different color. Ultimately, this is how a market becomes over saturated (not to mention all the unnecessary represses of widely available titles.) If the bubble does burst, I think there will be 2 distinct repercussions aside from more record stores going out of business.

1. The secondary market will collapse. Most likely, you'll be able to find some of those rare gems you passed on for closer to fair market value. 

2. No more Die-Hards. Or should I say way less fan fare for people who like "special" records.

The second one worries me more than the benefits of the first. I realize "most" artists make more money from shows than from album sales, so it's hard for me to justify this from a musicians perspective, so I will only give my perspective, as a fan and a collector. Warning, incoming opinion: Good design can save records. Labels that continue to offer special editions that are distinguishable from a standard release are going to come out of this fine (I'm looking at you, Blood Music.) The cliché of "vote with your wallet" has come and many of us opting for standard releases from Amazon, or even settling for digital because there is no justifiable reason to spend double on a record that's blue. I could go on, but this is getting a bit long in the tooth. Sorry for the rant, please note this has been opinion, based on my bias as a collector for 30+ years. I will buy records until I'm dead. Death to false metal.

1 hour ago, jack8urt0n said:

When prices began to surge, I took it as a response to discouraging the secondary market, which I was ok with when it was smaller labels putting out very limited runs. With great care put into the details of the packaging. In many cases, you were paying more for a little extra something that felt special. But over time, larger labels started adopting this strategy, but without the attention to detail. They would put out bundles with tees, totes, or just make the vinyl a different color. Ultimately, this is how a market becomes over saturated (not to mention all the unnecessary represses of widely available titles.) If the bubble does burst, I think there will be 2 distinct repercussions aside from more record stores going out of business.

1. The secondary market will collapse. Most likely, you'll be able to find some of those rare gems you passed on for closer to fair market value. 

2. No more Die-Hards. Or should I say way less fan fare for people who like "special" records.

The second one worries me more than the benefits of the first. I realize "most" artists make more money from shows than from album sales, so it's hard for me to justify this from a musicians perspective, so I will only give my perspective, as a fan and a collector. Warning, incoming opinion: Good design can save records. Labels that continue to offer special editions that are distinguishable from a standard release are going to come out of this fine (I'm looking at you, Blood Music.) The cliché of "vote with your wallet" has come and many of us opting for standard releases from Amazon, or even settling for digital because there is no justifiable reason to spend double on a record that's blue. I could go on, but this is getting a bit long in the tooth. Sorry for the rant, please note this has been opinion, based on my bias as a collector for 30+ years. I will buy records until I'm dead. Death to false metal.

I pretty much agree with all of that. If you are going to charge the increased price you have to  offer a quality product. When you charge 23 dollars plus shipping for a single LP with a flimsy cover and no insert (looking at you riding easy) you are going to lose customers, regardless of the band. 

I feel this genre always has its high costs (especially with so many releases as an import) so i doubt we will ever see them bottom out like crazy. If only it was like noise and experimental stuff is now where you can get stuff for pennies on the dollar compared to what they were going for 3-5 yeara ago.  Records i sold for 20-30 bucks back then im rebuying some i regretted unloading for like 3-5 bucks.

i Just always wonder why more artists in this space tend to go for an import label, especially if they are located in the US

also call me crazy but i tend to want to own a record and care less about its limitedness.  I like how relapse will only charge a buck or two more if you want to get the most limited version they have, probably just to cover the extra cost of the one off color pressing. When a label like deathwish releases variants they do it the right way, same cost for all. Let the secondary market decide what a pressing is worth, not the label. When you do 15 colors of the same record and charge varying prices based on pressing but offer nothing extra of real value its going to just drive people away. 

Edited by Twistedshabazz

2 minutes ago, Twistedshabazz said:

I pretty much agree with all of that. If you are going to charge the increased price you have to  offer a quality product. When you charge 23 dollars plus shipping for a single LP with a flimsy cover and no insert (looking at you riding easy) you are going to lose customers, regardless of the band. 

I feel this genre always has its high costs (especially with so many releases as an import) so i doubt we will ever see them bottom out like crazy. If only it was like noise and experimental stuff is now where you can get stuff for pennies on the dollar compared to what they were going for 3-5 yeara ago.  Records i sold for 20-30 bucks back then im rebuying some i regretted unloading for like 3-5 bucks.

i Just always wonder why more artists in this space tend to go for an import label, especially if they are located in the US

As far as RE goes (and I hate sticking up for them) they've at least started doing the $15 black single LPs (granted with like $7 shipping, which is absurd)

Boise and drone stuff is consistently in the bargain bins out here for $1-5.

35 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

As far as RE goes (and I hate sticking up for them) they've at least started doing the $15 black single LPs (granted with like $7 shipping, which is absurd)

And then you have a band like this who manages to have insane packaging, limited, colored vinyl, and somehow manage to sell it for $12.

Spirits

I agree with everything that has been discussed. I am especially annoyed that it seems you have to buy a bunch of other shit just to get the most limited record(diehard). I'm a listener first, but also a collector, so I do care about such stupid things as most limited. It's not always a deciding factor, but many times it is. I want the record and maybe a cool variant cover, not all the other crap that is forced in the purchase. I am starting to just be happy with downloads. I will never stop buying records, but I am going to be buying less and less if this keeps happening. Maybe we'll have to start Download Collective?

On July 25, 2016 at 4:47 PM, lexicondevil said:
1 hour ago, lexicondevil said:

Khemmis is going to have a new album coming out on 20 buck. Don't know when the PO will be up, but a Text Wizards alert would be appreciated. Here is their last record.

I'm down for wizard alert on this. That khamis album rips, I'm sure the new one will too

1 hour ago, Santa Bateman said:

Anyone buy witchskull

I can't memmer if I've heard them or not

The critters from poke have overtaken my life

I think a large percentage of us were turned off by the singer.

i had a Snorlax run away on me a minute ago and got really bummed about it.

(Fixed)

So just came across this band, fairly new, called Duel, the vinyl came out in Feb. 70's ish stoner with a horror theme. I dig and you may also. (Used the search function and didn't see anything about them here)

http://youtu.be/gAzXYWN3u60

Edited by KingTacoMunster