Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

Aw guys!  I'm well familiar with the song, just never sprung for the vinyl.  4 flips for one song sounds real arduous when you're following the smoke to a riff filled land.

I ordered it and Death - Leprosy.  Can I be back in the club!?

Here's my top 14 metal jams for 2014, in no particular order:

1. Cannabis Corpse - From Wisdom To Baked

2. Druglord - Enter Venus

3. Ghoul - Hang Ten

4. Monolord - Empress Rising (probably #1)

5. Bongripper - Miserable

6. Sea of Bones - The Earth Wants Us Dead

7. Bastard Sapling - Instinct Is Forever

8. Inter Arma - The Cavern

9. Electric Wizard - Time To Die

10. Oozing Wound - Earth Suck

11. Thou - The Sacrifice

12. Salem's Pot/Windhand split

13. Well - Samsara

14. Geezer - Gage

I also really loved the reissues/represses of Electric Wizard, Weedeater, Ghoul, Entombed, and Dystopia.

Been completely out of the loop with a lot of stoner/doom/sludge this year. I just find a lot of it to be pretty sub-par. I didn't like the new EW and off the top of my head I can't quite recall much else that was "heavy" and great from this year. YOB definitely, one of the highlights, but yeah, not a lot else. I think that playing in a doom/downer band can kind of do that though. If I'm playing doom a lot then I don't necessarily want to listen to it so much.

One incredibly heavy and brilliant album I wish had a vinyl release was Bottom - You'r Next. It's on Spotify but I'd love a physical release.

Aw guys!  I'm well familiar with the song, just never sprung for the vinyl.  4 flips for one song sounds real arduous when you're following the smoke to a riff filled land.

I ordered it and Death - Leprosy.  Can I be back in the club!?

Here's my top 14 metal jams for 2014, in no particular order:

1. Cannabis Corpse - From Wisdom To Baked

2. Druglord - Enter Venus

3. Ghoul - Hang Ten

4. Monolord - Empress Rising (probably #1)

5. Bongripper - Miserable

6. Sea of Bones - The Earth Wants Us Dead

7. Bastard Sapling - Instinct Is Forever

8. Inter Arma - The Cavern

9. Electric Wizard - Time To Die

10. Oozing Wound - Earth Suck

11. Thou - The Sacrifice

12. Salem's Pot/Windhand split

13. Well - Samsara

14. Geezer - Gage

I also really loved the reissues/represses of Electric Wizard, Weedeater, Ghoul, Entombed, and Dystopia.

Awesome list! However, I don't want to see like i'm nitpicking, but Sea of Bones was a 2013 release. Also, rank these in order so that way when I can assign a point total to each release for the thread's cumulative top 14.

Any album not released in 2014 does not count for the top 14 list. If the vinyl came out this year, but the release came out in a previous  year I would say it doesn't count(Sea of Bones and Goya fall into this). Is everyone ok with this? Also, if an album was reissued this year should we include it? These lists are not restricted to stoner/sludge/doom, but I would assume the majority of what we post will be from those genres. Any suggestions or whatnot would be appreciated. Thanks.

I will probably be crucified for this, but I prefer to listen to Dopesmoker on CD.  Having to flip the LP, and change to the 2nd LP really kills the vibe for me. 

As far as best of 2014, nothing really stands out to me this year.  Perhaps Bongripper's Miserable.  WoFat's The Conjuring was ok. 

I will probably be crucified for this, but I prefer to listen to Dopesmoker on CD.  Having to flip the LP, and change to the 2nd LP really kills the vibe for me. 

As far as best of 2014, nothing really stands out to me this year.  Perhaps Bongripper's Miserable.  WoFat's The Conjuring was ok. 

Julian Cope states this on Head Heritage as well. I agree I think. Plus it just gives me a reason to own Jerusalem on CD.

Any album not released in 2014 does not count for the top 14 list. If the vinyl came out this year, but the release came out in a previous year I would say it doesn't count(Sea of Bones and Goya fall into this). Is everyone ok with this? Also, if an album was reissued this year should we include it? These lists are not restricted to stoner/sludge/doom, but I would assume the majority of what we post will be from those genres. Any suggestions or whatnot would be appreciated. Thanks.

No reissues, I don't think they should count.

Any album not released in 2014 does not count for the top 14 list. If the vinyl came out this year, but the release came out in a previous year I would say it doesn't count(Sea of Bones and Goya fall into this). Is everyone ok with this? Also, if an album was reissued this year should we include it? These lists are not restricted to stoner/sludge/doom, but I would assume the majority of what we post will be from those genres. Any suggestions or whatnot would be appreciated. Thanks.

No reissues, I don't think they should count.

Just got both summoner records. And holy shit, the splatter color for atlantian is one of the best looking records I own.

The gold makes the splatters look like they're floating off the surface of the record. Unreal.

I can't geta good photo though!!

Yeah, all those Summoner records are pressed phenomenally and look great! I lucked out and scored a blue/orange/white smash for Atlantian and love it so much. I would go home and listen to it, but I have like 3 other new records I have to listen to before I can jump back into my back catalogue.

Working list so far. (I almost want to put that Taylor Swift album on here...but I don't want anyone to lose their shit ;))

Windhand/Salem's Pot split.

Electric Citizen - Sateen

DOOM and Bishop Nehru - NehruvianDOOM (not doom metal...but still. Good stuff.)

Earth - Primitive and Deadly

Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon

The Well - Samsara

Druglord - Enter Venus

Curse the Son - Psychache

Electric Wizard - Time to Die

Crypt Trip - Crypt Trip

Spooky Black - Black Silk

Phantogram - Voices

Also, I don't think I'm going to be able to do the reissues. Too many good ones this year.

Yeah, all those Summoner records are pressed phenomenally and look great! I lucked out and scored a blue/orange/white smash for Atlantian and love it so much. I would go home and listen to it, but I have like 3 other new records I have to listen to before I can jump back into my back catalogue.

I would love to do a day of the week where we all play the same record, kick back, drink a beer, and discuss the awesomeness. Almost like a book club, digitized, and replace the books with doom records. This is OUR small talk thread, and it rocks! Also, I am drinking gin and it always makes me socialize and be creative, so If I am being stupid just let me know...kindly :(

Edit: Jon Cream Face, I feel like we think A LOT a like. Mainly when you used the word catalogue. I just got done using that word in the Daisy repress thread never see many people use it an you did! You, Jared, and I would make one hell of a trifecta!

Second edit: Not separating us three from the rest of the group, I feel mighty common to Metal Mike too! Everyone in here is awesome, some people just click though.

I would love to do a day of the week where we all play the same record, kick back, drink a beer, and discuss the awesomeness. Almost like a book club, digitized, and replace the books with doom records. This is OUR small talk thread, and it rocks! Also, I am drinking gin and it always makes me socialize and be creative, so If I am being stupid just let me know...kindly :(

As a fellow gin aficionado (n.b. I invented that term and if you ever use it, you owe me $1.), I support this idea.

Not to sure how difficult it would be able to coordinate with the difference in time zones/spouses, but if I could, I would.

As a fellow gin aficionado (n.b. I invented that term and if you ever use it, you owe me $1.), I support this idea.

Not to sure how difficult it would be able to coordinate with the difference in time zones/spouses, but if I could, I would.

God, everyone in this thread is the shit. I'll paypal you a dollar a week, unless we form a gin aficionado union??? If we can work out a good central time like 8est, 11pst. I think it would be all good. My spouse is usually at work until 10 or 12 pm est. So no holds barred!