The Beer Thread

You should try Anchor's 2013 Christmas Ale.  It tastes like what I hoped the Chocolate Cherry Stout would taste like.  Dark with a hint of real cherry flavor. Very festive. No cough syrup.

christmas_ale_2013.png

I'll add that to the list to pick up next time I hit the liquor store.  Thanks for the advice!

Just finished a big paper, celebrating with a Breakfast Stout.  Damn does it taste good to be done.  I graduate on the 20th.  Celebrating that with some Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA.  I think my brother and I are going to exchange cases of beer for Christmas.  He's into IPA's, what should I get him?

Just finished a big paper, celebrating with a Breakfast Stout.  Damn does it taste good to be done.  I graduate on the 20th.  Celebrating that with some Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA.  I think my brother and I are going to exchange cases of beer for Christmas.  He's into IPA's, what should I get him?

I love IPAs. Stone makes a few that are really good.  Their standard one is a classic and considered one of the best out there.  They've got another one though that tastes like your just eating hops.  It's incredible.  I forget what it's called though.

Their Enjoy By is really good too.

resin-glass1.jpg

troegsperpetual_412407.jpg

tipa.png

can't go wrong w/ those 3.

I'll see if I can get Troegs, because I haven't seen any of the other brewers at my local distro. I think I've only seen Mad Elf there though, but maybe there'll be a Christmas miracle haha

word. Perpetual is a year round now so you should be able to snag that. And (while they hate to admit it) Sixpoint contract brews almost all of their beer in PA, so it should be available there. Schlafly I'm not too sure about, but if you're close enough to MD, i know all 3 breweries are available there.

I had a Mr. Beer for years that I started out with.  I eventually graduated to a better kit.  I had a lot of fun brewing with it.  You won't have as much control over your product as with the better kits, but its a good one to start with as the initial investment is low.

Beer of the night: Flying Dog Raging Bitch Belgian Style IPA.  Great aroma, nice color, tastes crisp and a good bite with the hops.  Would definitely drink this again.

I like most of the Flying Dog beer I've had.  The fact that Ralph Steadman does the artwork is icing on the cake.

Had a Bell's Cherry Stout this evening. Seems to be a lot of conflicting reviews floating around, a lot of people complain of too much cherry and tartness/sour yet mine was practically a thick chocolate stout with an ever so slight tartness on the end with no taste of cherry whatsoever. Still thoroughly enjoyed it, but I might need to find a few different bottles and see what's up with the batches…I like a bit of cherry sourness. 

So my wife and I went on an adventure to find this beer shop called The Art of Beer a little ways away from us.  It was pretty freaking awesome in the first 5 minutes of going into this tiny store(but had a huge selection) we were trying beer for free.  We ended up trying Hop Hedge(IPA) from Dechutes, Cherry Truffle Abduction(Double Stout)  and Derketo (Belgian IPA) from Pipeworks.  Then we continued to look around and talk and finally made our purchase:

IMAG0489_zps8ols08gt.jpg

Pretty excited since its my brothers birthday tomorrow.  Here's the list if you can't make it out:

1. Troublesome - Off Color Brewing (Chicago)

2. Harvest - Southern Tier (NY)

3. 2xMas - Southern Tier (NY)

4. Gnomegang - Ommegang (NY)

5. Witte - Ommegang (NY)

6. Ebel's Weiss - Two Brothers (Outside Chicago,IL)

7. The Abyss - Dechutes (Oregon)

8. Daytime Ale - Lagunitas (CA)

9. The Hairy Eyeball Ale - Lagunitas (CA)

10. Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas (CA)

Pretty excited to try it all. Sorry for the long post.