The Beer Thread

I had Lagunitas Fusion 18 (10% Imperial IPA) earlier today, it was excellent. Incredible floral aroma, not overly sweet and it finished a little bitter. That brewery pumps out such good beer.

I had it at a Lagunitas night and thought it was good but a little thin maybe. Hid the 10% really well though!

Small Town Brewery, Wauconda, IL - Not Your Father's Root Beer - 10%ABV

http://www.smalltownbrewery.com

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24798/86622/?ba=cnbrown313

Stuff was amazing, couldn't even taste the alcohol. On tap only in a few restaurants and bars in Chicago. They'll be at the Lincoln Park Whole Foods on Thursday 12/12 doing tastings and selling limited quantities.

I went on a bit of a beer buying binge this weekend.  Got the following:

Founders Backwoods Bastard Scotch Ale

Founders Breakfast Stout

Founders Rubaeus Raspberry Ale

Atwater Vanilla Java Porter 

Atwater Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale
Shorts Seasonal Sampler
Shorts Bludgeon Yer Eye India Black Ale

Shorts Huma Lupa Licious IPA

Arcadia Shipwreck Porter
Frankenmuth Brewery's Christmas Ale

It was quite a haul.  So many awesome breweries in Michigan.  

Founders Breakfast Stout

Shorts Seasonal Sampler

Arcadia Shipwreck Porter

You should definitely report back about this lot. I've only had the Breakfast Stout out of that list and I was a big fan. 

You should definitely report back about this lot. I've only had the Breakfast Stout out of that list and I was a big fan. 

The Atwater Vanilla Java Porter is great.  It's one of my go-to beers.  I grabbed five sixers of it. :D   I also love the Shorts Huma Lupa Licious, which is another one that's in the regular rotation.  

I will definitely report back.  The Arcadia Shipwreck Porter is bourbon-barrel aged.  Looking forward to all of them. :D

Small Town Brewery, Wauconda, IL - Not Your Father's Root Beer - 10%ABV

http://www.smalltownbrewery.com

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24798/86622/?ba=cnbrown313

Stuff was amazing, couldn't even taste the alcohol. On tap only in a few restaurants and bars in Chicago. They'll be at the Lincoln Park Whole Foods on Thursday 12/12 doing tastings and selling limited quantities.

Sounds pretty cool, just looked and a bunch of places really close by have it, even some that I frequent every now and then.  Might have to check it out one of these times I'm out.

Picked up a 4 pack of Bourbon County Stout, 4 pack of the Barleywine, 2 bottles Coffee, and the Backyard Rye. Still searching for more....

Nice! I only picked up the Stout - money was a bit tight. Out here we only got the standard and the Barleywine, so I didn't have many options either way. Given how late I made it to the liquor store, I was happy enough with just that! Apparently Total Wine was flying through their cases.

Probably gonna have one or two in the next few weeks, and cellar the others until next year's release.

Nice! I only picked up the Stout - money was a bit tight. Out here we only got the standard and the Barleywine, so I didn't have many options either way. Given how late I made it to the liquor store, I was happy enough with just that! Apparently Total Wine was flying through their cases.

Probably gonna have one or two in the next few weeks, and cellar the others until next year's release.

Ended up finding three more four packs of the regular BCS and one more bottle of barleywine. All the stores had such limited quantity of the variants and were sold out almost immediately. Will definitely sit on most of the regular, still have 7 bottles of the 2012 aging. Awesome that you were able to find some!

Ended up finding three more four packs of the regular BCS and one more bottle of barleywine. All the stores had such limited quantity of the variants and were sold out almost immediately. Will definitely sit on most of the regular, still have 7 bottles of the 2012 aging. Awesome that you were able to find some!

That's pretty awesome. I've been trying to get my hands on some from past years, though I haven't had much luck. (Managed to find it at Whole Foods once, randomly!)

I'm definitely thinking of calling around locally and seeing if anybody has the barleywine left. The more I read online, the more intrigued I am.

any chance you got some of the coconut this year? i have 2009-2013 of the regular squirreled away, and would be down for trading. I also have a couple bottles of King Henry, but those might be a bit harder to come off of. 

any chance you got some of the coconut this year? i have 2009-2013 of the regular squirreled away, and would be down for trading. I also have a couple bottles of King Henry, but those might be a bit harder to come off of. 

I do not have the coconut, that was a Chicago only release I do believe. Would love to try King Henry…

by the way, while all of you are thinking about beer, check out

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/360144380/haw-river-farmhouse-ales-craft-brewing-in-rural-nc

Really great people making insanely good beer, and in my mind, doing the whole kickstarter thing the right way. The brewery itself is already funded through other means, and slated to open soon. They decided to use kickstarter to do/buy some really neat/environmentally friendly things that a  small, start-up brewery would normally have to overlook. 

Plus, that video is ridiculous, and who doesn't love a ridiculous video?

Because you guys hyped them up so much, I had my sisters boyfriends pick me up a 6 pack of the Founders Backwoods Bastard Scotch Ale and a 4 pack of the Founders Breakfast stout from the bar he works at! He's gonna send them home with my sister this weekend. I can't wait to try em!

Nice.  I started with the Backwoods Bastard last night and it is incredible.  I will give a more in-depth overview of it later but I am regretting only picking up two four-packs.  I will be grabbing more when I am back in MI next Friday.

Also, you can't go wrong with the Breakfast Stout.  It is one of my favorite beers. 

Today is the 80th anniversary of prohibition being lifted. So tonight I am going to go celebrate with some local craft beer and fancy pants grilled cheese. It's going to be a good night!

I read this as no pants at first. You should include no pants in your night.

I will follow suit with beer celebrations. Maybe pop open my Prairie finally. with no pants.

Founders Breakfast Stout

Shorts Seasonal Sampler

Arcadia Shipwreck Porter

Had Breakfast Stout at one of my buddy's gigs at some bar in Trenton just over a year ago and haven't seen it since.  Bartender told me it's easily his favorite beer, so naturally I had to try it and I'm glad I did.  Anyone find it in the Philly area?