Do any of you actually listen to the music you buy?

Guest crazybeats

Guest rotatethissonicboo

You're pretty stupid if you don't get that I'm using sarcasm to point out the flaw in your logic. Your point that "people who buy colored records instead of ones that sound good" hinges on people being able to choose between the two. And no one has ever had that option.

How 'bout this option:

Not buying the vinyl because it sounds like shit.  Oh but you have to buy it. Why?  Dumbass.

in some cases, maybe. but given the choice between different variants, who wouldn't go for the most limited? 

flipping is going to be a part of any hobby involving limited/collectible items.

Yeah and you're right. I often will go for the most limited variant, if it's there. Why not, right? But, It's fairly common around here for records to be purchased because they look cool. Only to be resold or traded once they actually hear the music and they don't like it. I obviously don't have that much interest in the subject because I haven't made a crazy ass thread like this guy, but I do believe that the argument is out there to be had. 

It also can hurt the customers, bigger labels upping their prices and making more than enough variants because they know that kids will buy it, or maybe all 3-5 variants. I guess it's all about what really motivates you to buy records. For me, its the fucking music, color, pressing, limited whatever the fuck doesn't matter for me. When I'm searching for a record, I just hope its still in press, not that a certain variant is available. 

Yeah and you're right. I often will go for the most limited variant, if it's there. Why not, right? But, It's fairly common around here for records to be purchased because they look cool. Only to be resold or traded once they actually hear the music and they don't like it. I obviously don't have that much interest in the subject because I haven't made a crazy ass thread like this guy, but I do believe that the argument is out there to be had. 

It also can hurt the customers, bigger labels upping their prices and making more than enough variants because they know that kids will buy it, or maybe all 3-5 variants. I guess it's all about what really motivates you to buy records. For me, its the fucking music, color, pressing, limited whatever the fuck doesn't matter for me. When I'm searching for a record, I just hope its still in press, not that a certain variant is available. 

good points

Why do people collect coins if they're not going to spend them?

Why do people collect stamps if they are not going to mail things with them?

Why do people collect antique firearms if they aren't going to shoot them?

Why do people collect keychains from states they visit without using them to carry keys?

Why do people collect Pokemon cards without actually playing the game?

Why do people collect coffee mugs if they're not going to drink coffee out of all of them?

Why do people collect quilts if they don't sleep under all of them?

Why do people collect vases if they don't put flowers in them?

And most importantly.... why do you give a shit?

Why do people collect keychains from states they visit without using them to carry keys?

Why do people collect coffee mugs if they're not going to drink coffee out of all of them?

I listen to all those things

Guest rotatethissonicboo

I collect music.

You collect round pieces of coloured plastic.

LOL. Dumbass.

Guest rotatethissonicboo

When I'm walking through a record store, how can I tell if a record sounds like shit?

It's called research.  Try it sometime.

I think this is true of most of the people who frequent this website. Love of the music got us here and it keeps us here. Of course there are people who buy variants and low pressing records solely because of their rarity and collector's appeal but I'd argue the vast majority of us buy the record for the music and all the cool looking colours and variant flair is just a bonus. If there's an album I like with several variants, I'll buy which one I think looks the coolest, if there's only black, I'll buy that. OP (a troll, I know) acts like people wouldn't buy a repress of a long OOP album if it wasn't limited and didn't have cool variants, which is totally untrue.

Guest crazybeats

That isn't true though, you pay for those cool looking colours and varients. They aren't added bonuses, they add more $$$ to the cost of the record.

Guest rotatethissonicboo

Let me just google this real quick because i collect music and not round pieces of plastic. Sealed or not i have magic x-ray vision!!

LOL dumbass

Are you unaware of the concept of mastering and pressing quality? All this can be researched.  You are stupid.

I think this is true of most of the people who frequent this website. Love of the music got us here and it keeps us here. Of course there are people who buy variants and low pressing records solely because of their rarity and collector's appeal but I'd argue the vast majority of us buy the record for the music and all the cool looking colours and variant flair is just a bonus. If there's an album I like with several variants, I'll buy which one I think looks the coolest, if there's only black, I'll buy that. OP (a troll, I know) acts like people wouldn't buy a repress of a long OOP album if it wasn't limited and didn't have cool variants, which is totally untrue.

You bring up some good points, its appreciated. 

I still think I see more impulse buying based on other factors, besides the music itself more often than not. And, thats ok, it's really none of my business what people do with their money. But in return, you will have some labels test the water with higher prices. I'd like to use No Sleep Records as an example but I'm not 100% certain on the time frame. I believe it was around last year sometime that their 7"s went from $5 to $6. I'm not a huge No Sleep buyer so it doesn't really affect me, but the few that I've purchased I've always wondered what am I getting for the extra $1 and when is the next price hike.