Do any of you actually listen to the music you buy?

Guest crazybeats

Dumbasses here don't even know what Vinyl Mastering is. Jesus Christ.

LOL "XRAY vision". How stupid can you people be?

For intelligent conversation, visit this board:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/forums/music-corner.2/

Bye.

If you consider your style of conversation "intelligent" then I think I'll pass.

That was so very very entertaining to read.

Who gives a shit what people buy?

If i want 10 different variations of the same record, fuck you, I'll do it.

I listen to all my records, rare or not. Do i enjoy owning a limited pressing? Sure, it adds to

the collecting aspect. I just cannot for the life of me understand what would make a person

this mad about what other people do with their money.

Are the record labels doing it to make more, absolutely, But again who cares, if the consumer is happy about it

then its a win, win situation.

I just don't get why you care....

tumblr_mqdcq6VK8U1qgb3kio1_400.gif

Guest crazybeats

Well what do you think it costs for them to get those 7" records made? How much do these other labels pay for each 12" album? Let's talk about that for a second. When we see talk of 1000 records and so many are black and so many red and so many mixed and they have the nice jacket. How much do you think they pay to get that made? What is the cost of one record? I remember back in 2007 I was told by someone who worked in wholesale that Universal Music distribution sold 12" singles at a wholesale cost of $1.50. It never went any lower. Now back then, I don't care what the record sales show.......vinyl was big. Labels churned them out every few weeks and that was just the promos, that wasn't the retail versions and it was an amazing time for a music fan  but my point is they obviously got better rates due to the volume they were producing and Universal did that for many many many labels. But what always got me was they were in charge of a lot of albums too and I always wondered what the cost of the albums were wholesale. If they were doing 12" singles for $1.50...they must have made a decent profit on that $1.50 to begin with, regardless of what the person at the other end was selling them for.

I imagine with a lot of these limited releases we see now, it seems to be a lot of reissues of old albums and yes there are soundtrack labels in on the fun too. What a goldmine that is but that is a topic for another day, IMO they make a very very good profit on selling just limited numbers, 500 here, 1000 there, 250 random colours. They make good money and that's what you're paying for. You're not buying the music because you like the music and you get a cool poster and a cool colour and maybe a heavy jacket to keep it. You're paying extra TO RECIEVE that colour and the poster and the heavyweight jacket. It's not a privilege.

You bring up some good points, its appreciated. 

I still think I see more impulse buying based on other factors, besides the music itself more often than not. And, thats ok, it's really none of my business what people do with their money. But in return, you will have some labels test the water with higher prices. I'd like to use No Sleep Records as an example but I'm not 100% certain on the time frame. I believe it was around last year sometime that their 7"s went from $5 to $6. I'm not a huge No Sleep buyer so it doesn't really affect me, but the few that I've purchased I've always wondered what am I getting for the extra $1 and when is the next price hike. 

No Sleep (and most record labels that populate the threads here) is a small business that has rapidly grown far beyond what I would think they ever imagined in the past few years and they likely have so many little increased costs for things like marketing, more pressing #s, more varied pressings, more bands signed etc, etc. Of course I'd love to pay as little as possible for something I buy as a consumer but at the end of the day record labels are a business and you bet your ass they are going to charge whatever they can to maximize their profits. They have to support themselves, their families, their employees, their bands, pay their taxes and have enough to live a comfortable life without worry.

Well what do you think it costs for them to get those 7" records made? How much do these other labels pay for each 12" album? Let's talk about that for a second. When we see talk of 1000 records and so many are black and so many red and so many mixed and they have the nice jacket. How much do you think they pay to get that made? What is the cost of one record? I remember back in 2007 I was told by someone who worked in wholesale that Universal Music distribution sold 12" singles at a wholesale cost of $1.50. It never went any lower. Now back then, I don't care what the record sales show.......vinyl was big. Labels churned them out every few weeks and that was just the promos, that wasn't the retail versions and it was an amazing time for a music fan  but my point is they obviously got better rates due to the volume they were producing and Universal did that for many many many labels. But what always got me was they were in charge of a lot of albums too and I always wondered what the cost of the albums were wholesale. If they were doing 12" singles for $1.50...they must have made a decent profit on that $1.50 to begin with, regardless of what the person at the other end was selling them for.

I imagine with a lot of these limited releases we see now, it seems to be a lot of reissues of old albums and yes there are soundtrack labels in on the fun too. What a goldmine that is but that is a topic for another day, IMO they make a very very good profit on selling just limited numbers, 500 here, 1000 there, 250 random colours. They make good money and that's what you're paying for. You're not buying the music because you like the music and you get a cool poster and a cool colour and maybe a heavy jacket to keep it. You're paying extra TO RECIEVE that colour and the poster and the heavyweight jacket. It's not a privilege.

tumblr_mugupuHnhg1sqh1v1o1_500.jpg

Guest crazybeats

That was so very very entertaining to read.

Who gives a shit what people buy?

If i want 10 different variations of the same record, fuck you, I'll do it.

I listen to all my records, rare or not. Do i enjoy owning a limited pressing? Sure, it adds to

the collecting aspect. I just cannot for the life of me understand what would make a person

this mad about what other people do with their money.

Are the record labels doing it to make more, absolutely, But again who cares, if the consumer is happy about it

then its a win, win situation.

I just don't get why you care....

tumblr_mqdcq6VK8U1qgb3kio1_400.gif

The reason I care about it is because it's assholes like you with no life buying every record going that takes the chance away from a genuine fan. I could be here all night showing Ebay auctions, Discogs listings of vinyl, recently released as in this year, maybe last year, that are selling for far more than they were ever sold at and there is people right now considering buying them because people like you took that chance away from them, not because you needed them, there's no need for anyone to own 10 copies of the same thing. You take the good away from it. You ruin it for other people who would have quite happily paid the original retail price.

And what a shame that that's all vinyl is now. Sales are the highest ever in what, 20 years? Don't get me wrong the selection is absolute shit. Take me back to 2008 anyday of the week but I'm glad people are buying it again even if it is a load of garbage and you know what the sad thing is? It's still niche. It's being treated like a gimmick. Ok record sales might have been shit in 2008 but at least when you went into a record store the prices were cheap and you had a half decent selection, now it's all overpriced and you're lucky to get anything you want pressed on wax. And I blame the labels before i blame people like you because they force people like you, people that buy into the hype, into paying for these records in advance in order to get the numbers down and by the time it's released well it's near enough sold out anyway so it's time to move onto the next release.

Albums, and promotional singles are completely different things. You seem to lump them together. A label WILL NOT TRY TO RECOUP MONEY ON A PROMOTIONAL PRODUCT. That's why it's called a promo, that's why they sell it cheap or give it away for free. So you then go and hopefully BUY the full length product.

See, with horrible music like eminem. It's usually one song, and 3 remixes for a single. Recording costs of that song is lumped in to the album. Meaning no real recording costs. Then the 3 shitty remixes of the actual horrible song is by 3 untalented no name dj's that would do anything to get their name out there. Like donating their time to do godawful remixes of said horrible song. It's a promotional tool for themselves. No real cost there either.

So in that $1.50 wholesale price you quoted. It's would be a material cost only. No/little profit involved for the company that initially sells or gives them away.

And this, is why this entire thread is so fucking stupid. You got your frilly knickers all twisted up in your sandy vag, over you not knowing how anything actually works. But insisted that the entire fucking world was wrong. And you, the imbecile was right.

Kudos you fucking asshat. You made me write a goddamn essay to highlight your fuckwittedness

If you'd had taken the time to look at my collection in my sig, youd have seen i maybe have a duplicate of 1 record?

Things go up in price, for a lot of reasons, do i want to spend less on record, sure i do.

I do not buy into any hype, If a record gets pressed that i'd like, i buy it, if the options are black /10,000 or

red /100, why would i not grab the red?

Its a matter of preference, and even if someone collects every different variant, thats on them .

If it inflates the prices of record, shitty, but oh well.

Olsvik put it best ;

"I think this is true of most of the people who frequent this website. Love of the music got us here and it keeps us here. Of course there are people who buy variants and low pressing records solely because of their rarity and collector's appeal but I'd argue the vast majority of us buy the record for the music and all the cool looking colours and variant flair is just a bonus. If there's an album I like with several variants, I'll buy which one I think looks the coolest, if there's only black, I'll buy that. OP (a troll, I know) acts like people wouldn't buy a repress of a long OOP album if it wasn't limited and didn't have cool variants, which is totally untrue."

If I were I mod, I would make everyone's posts in here just says "FARTS" over and over again and it wouldn't change anything about what has actually transpired here.

Smart vinyl people care about SOUND QUALITY. 

VC community wouldn't understand.  Majority here are morons who like colors. LOL.

Hey, I noticed I got the fired-up red variant of this post.

Any idea what quantity were posted and what it's worth?

Thanks!