Loud surface noise between songs on a new, sealed record?

What would cause this, especially on a new sealed record? This static, loud surface noise only is heard near the end of tracks and between songs on the B-side of a record I just purchased new. Looking at it under the light I see some minor imperfections, but nothing else that would cause this issue. I guess it's not a huge deal since I only notice it between songs, but I wonder if that's only because the music drowns it out.

If anyone is wondering it's a reissue of The Vandals - The Quickening that I bought off Interpunk. I noticed they didn't even get the track listing right on the sleeve, so maybe this issue was done poorly?  I dunno. Makes me mad. I just had to return a copy of that 20th anniversary edition of "In Utero" because there was a huge scratch on one side of a sealed new record.

Ha. Ok kids.

I took the first step you guys suggested and removed it from the sealed package. Wow! What a difference that made! But it seems there is STILL some surface noise on the B side of the record between songs! Imagine that!

I would have posted the whole setup and all, but I doubt it's the issue as it's only one side of one record. I've never had any other issue with any other record. And to be sure I played a bunch of other LP's afterwards just to be sure. The A-side sounds perfectly fine.

Wait, are you referring to me as a troll? I hope not. I didn't realize being new and asking a question that might seem silly to alot of people constituted being a troll.

I figured maybe someone could give me a technical reason why this would occur, or maybe tell me that this was a bad pressing of the album or something I didn't know.

If not, sorry. It's just annoying when half the replies to something I'm actually having a problem with are jokes or sarcastic comments.

Yup, used my Discwasher pad and some cleaning fluid I picked up the other day. Same issues still there.

Eh, ignore the haters man.

As for cleaning, avoid those Discwasher brushes like the plague.

Back in the day, I ruined several rare records with one of those things.

They don't really clean anything. They just move the dirt around and cloud up the vinyl.

Sadly, you have to save your money and invest in a vaccum record cleaning machine, like a VPI or a Nitty Gritty.

If you are "serious" about your collection, it is worth selling a few of your rare titles in order to preserve the rest of your collection.

I have had many noisy records clean up after a spin on my VPI machine, with the right cleaning fluid.

But on the other hand, my Simply Vinyl press of REM "Fables of the Reconstruction" that I paid $30 for, had annoying surface noise on one side, and I bought it new. A VPI cleaning did not remove the noise.

So you might just have a bad pressing, sadly.

Good luck :)

Appreciate the reply man.

I'll keep that in mind about the washer. I played it again and it didn't bother me as much, but I'm guessing it was to do with the pressing maybe. I may take it to a shop too as I know a couple that have a cleaning setup and everything. I had another Vandals record I got off ebay that had clearly been found in a Salvation Army bin that they cleaned up pretty well.

Again, thanks for the help!

Can we start a forum called, "I just bought my first record and I'm playing it on my new Crosley that I bought at Target and I have a retarded question about how it sounds?"

If so, this question belongs there.

I've had 3 Founders - Backwoods Bastards.  Please disregard this in the morning.  :huh:

The fact people are assuming this guy is a n00b with a Crosley because he bought a record and it has surface noise is bullshit.  I have a decent table with a decent cart and guess what?  Sometimes you get a badly stamped record.  Sometimes you get a whole bad pressing.  Sometimes there is dirt and crap in the grooves when you take it out.  The guy was asking if anyone else had the same issue with that record.  Give the guy a break.

The fact people are assuming this guy is a n00b with a Crosley because he bought a record and it has surface noise is bullshit.  I have a decent table with a decent cart and guess what?  Sometimes you get a badly stamped record.  Sometimes you get a whole bad pressing.  Sometimes there is dirt and crap in the grooves when you take it out.  The guy was asking if anyone else had the same issue with that record.  Give the guy a break.

I'd like to honestly say thank you for that reply. I'm certainly new to collecting vinyl (been at it about a year and a half now) and I don't know everything. I was curious, as xxmartinxx said, as to if maybe this record had a history with a bad pressing or something. I didn't know if maybe there is something more at work that would cause this issue on just one record.

I figure maybe there really is just alot of crud in there from handeled at the plant or maybe the pressing sucks.

And I already ditched the ION for a Technics 1200, which I love. The rest of my setup sucks at the moment though.

Anyway, thanks to those who have given real help and not snide remarks.