PO NOW! Manchester Orchestra "Cope" and Headlining Tour with B&C, Kevin Devine

RadDonut

Got the box yesterday.  #69 (like yer mom).

Nitpicky criticism - no identification on the side of the box.  Maybe they expect this to be prominently displayed in most collections, but pretty much every other box I have like this has the name of the album and artist on the side of the box so you can see it when its filed in the collection.  I doubt I'll forget what it is, but it would have been nice to include, I think.

This box and the 7s are damn well designed. My issue is that two listens in I'm not really digging an album I thought I'd love. Listen #3 is on now. I feel like I've heard it all before or something. Hoping something clicks.

The album's very samey to me - not a lot of sound variation. I wonder if Andy's other groups are diluting (or compartmentalizing) MO in a way. RAGC is his acoustic project. Bad Books is his pop project. MO is his rock project, whereas on I'm like a Virgin and Mean Everything, those albums had all those kinds of songs on them.

This box and the 7s are damn well designed. My issue is that two listens in I'm not really digging an album I thought I'd love. Listen #3 is on now. I feel like I've heard it all before or something. Hoping something clicks.

This definitely took a few listens for me to start wading through the sameness. After I got over it, I realized that this will probably be in my top ten for the year. I haven't been a huge MO fan in the past either. 

This album took me a few listens to really get what they were trying to do. It also helped seeing them live and hearing Andy talk about it in interviews and stuff. The album is fairly same-y, but I think that's somewhat what they were going for, just an album that kicks you in the teeth from start to finish. He said that every one of their albums is very different, and that he wanted this album to be the one that sorta showed what they could do as far as making just a really loud rock record, and that the next album will likely be very different.

But if you decide you don't like it, I'd be happy to buy that patch off your hands for my Whiskey Crew vest. :D I haven't gotten mine yet. Don't think I made it in the first 100.

As far as his other projects having a negative effect on MO, I don't think that's it. I think Bad Books may have played a roll this time around, but as a whole, I think Andy will still write whatever he thinks will fit the album he's wanting to make. RAGC and (I think) Bad Books were alive and well when Simple Math came out, but it was acoustic and poppy songs on it.

I miss the energy of METN but think Cope's actual music is fantastic start to finish. Definitely a focus on a certain "sound" throughout the album. The guitar/bass combo is heavy in your face but at the same has a little of the grooviness QOTSA is famous for. The self-titled track is actually one of my favorite songs out of their discography.

Simple math on the other hand...just couldn't get into it. 

I miss the energy of METN but think Cope's actual music is fantastic start to finish. Definitely a focus on a certain "sound" throughout the album. The guitar/bass combo is heavy in your face but at the same has a little of the grooviness QOTSA is famous for. The self-titled track is actually one of my favorite songs out of their discography.

Simple math on the other hand...just couldn't get into it. 

Interestingly they name checked QOTSA in an interview and an inspiration for the album.

I can see how Simple Math is a grower but I love it. I just cant listen to it often because its just so emotionally brutal

Kind of a weird question. I'm going to the Boston show tomorrow. Does anyone know if they accept Paypal at their merch table?

Not sure about MO, but I know Kevin did. So there's a good chance MO does too.

EDIT: He accepted credit cards, not sure about PP. My bad.

Also, fuck that guy. He doesn't even know what number it is. I hope someone buys it and it doesn't end up having the patch and he gets fucked. Thought I really hope no one is dumb enough to pay like almost 8x the original price.