Monthly Record Swap 2014?

lets spitball some ideas. i think it would be cool to do, you'd get a record from your wantlist to your door once a month. i guess sort of similar to secret santa, except a record a month, different people each month would be matched up (each pairing announced at the first of the month). We would go off of df wantlists for what we'd get. just an idea! 

I'm not going to attack Derrick or his idea, because it is kind of a cool concept.  Unfortunately, it's just not practical - for me, at least - for the reasons listed above.  In addition, does anyone else dislike the idea of "borrowing" a record?  Unless it's a release that's exclusive to wax, I don't really see the point.  If I really dig a release based on a leak or the MP3 album, I'll buy a copy.  And if it's underwhelming or I don't think the price is justified, I don't buy it.  That's all there really is to it.

I guess it'd be cool to "check out" the gatefold and presentation of a record you're after... but knowing you have to send it back?  I don't know.  And like a few people have mentioned, you'd be putting an immense amount of trust into someone you [likely] don't know too terribly well, assuming you're sending out a $100+ record.  It could be stolen, damaged by poor handling, or lost in transit.  Just seems like a lot of risk to take, I guess.

A better idea would be to keep the concept, but perhaps lessen the stakes.  Maybe a group of "verified" (read: legit) VC users could pool together a collection of records that aren't worth as much in value, but are still certainly worth checking out and sharing.  God knows I own a fair share of common variants that I'd much rather lend out than the more rare ones.  You could list everyone's contributions publicly, and have people select releases or specify genres that they're into... or you could keep it a total mystery, so no one knows what they'd be receiving.  I'd be much more willing to offer up a $15 record for something like that.

But at the end of the day, when you consider the cost of shipping, packaging materials, and uncontrolled variables... I still don't think I'd opt for it.  It would seem way easier to Google or Torrent a recommendation - digitally and instantly - than to wait for a physical copy to check out.  But maybe that's just me.

I was under the impression this was more buying or giving each other records as opposed to lending or borrowing due to the secret santa comparison. Essentially "renting" a record netflix style does not seem like a good time. but the way I saw it is that derrick and I get teamed up in January, we each buy each other a record (or give from our own collection) based off of our wantlist, and then in February permafaust and I get paired up and do the same.

The reasons wrong with this are the reasons mentioned.

1. Most want lists are pricey as shit

2. If you wanted it, and it's available for someone else to buy easily and fairly cheaply, chances are it doesn't warrant being on your want list and you're probably going to buy it soon anyway.

If this is indeed a buy for each other and not trade with each other idea, I think a better way to go about it is based off of tradelists. DerekTM has every Godspeed album on his tradelist but Allelujah! (just an example). Pretty easy to find and doesn't really deserve a spot on a wantlist, but it adds to Derek's collection which he would most likely enjoy and makes the process a little more thoughtful and personal.

I may be completely missing the point of this idea?

Either way, I'm probably out due to lack of packing materials and overall procrastination, but I'd totally peep in here to see who got what if it went down.

I was under the impression this was more buying or giving each other records as opposed to lending or borrowing due to the secret santa comparison. Essentially "renting" a record netflix style does not seem like a good time. but the way I saw it is that derrick and I get teamed up in January, we each buy each other a record (or give from our own collection) based off of our wantlist, and then in February permafaust and I get paired up and do the same.

The reasons wrong with this are the reasons mentioned.

1. Most want lists are pricey as shit

2. If you wanted it, and it's available for someone else to buy easily and fairly cheaply, chances are it doesn't warrant being on your want list and you're probably going to buy it soon anyway.

If this is indeed a buy for each other and not trade with each other idea, I think a better way to go about it is based off of tradelists. DerekTM has every Godspeed album on his tradelist but Allelujah! (just an example). Pretty easy to find and doesn't really deserve a spot on a wantlist, but it adds to Derek's collection which he would most likely enjoy and makes the process a little more thoughtful and personal.

I may be completely missing the point of this idea?

Either way, I'm probably out due to lack of packing materials and overall procrastination, but I'd totally peep in here to see who got what if it went down.

I'd like to clarify that I may be an idiot, and - upon revisiting all of the previous posts - have determined that I have no idea why I gathered it'd be a "rent" type of service.  I don't think anyone implied that it would be, and I'm genuinely puzzled why I interpreted that to be the case.  In which case, you can more or less negate all of the points I had made previously, ha.  Whoops.  The fault is my own on that one.

Regarding your points, though, which I think are very valid -- I'd like to point out that I seem to always have a handful of very affordable, "in stock" wants, at any given time.  Stuff that's somewhere between $15 and $20 PPD, and isn't going anywhere fast.  I treat myself to one of them if I'm in a rut or have a bit of extra cash.  I know most people focus on "white whales" and elusive records when building a want list, but I'd say it's possible to have a handful of common items in one.

Also, great call on the Godspeed / tradelist example.  I do indeed own a copy of 'Allelujah, but you really did pick a perfect band / scenario for me.

dreamover hates everything i do, its nothing new haha. and i dont know about everyone else but i have a bunch of readily available records on my wantlist that i just either cant justify getting because im lazy or just slip my mind a lot of the time. not everyone's wantlist consists of 100$+ records.

Regarding your points, though, which I think are very valid -- I'd like to point out that I seem to always have a handful of very affordable, "in stock" wants, at any given time.  Stuff that's somewhere between $15 and $20 PPD, and isn't going anywhere fast. 

i dont know about everyone else but i have a bunch of readily available records on my wantlist that i just either cant justify getting because im lazy or just slip my mind a lot of the time. not everyone's wantlist consists of 100$+ records.

I guess I was just basing my point off of wantlist signatures seen throughout the boards.

I actually keep a notebook of my wants which are mostly readily available and affordable because they "slip my mind" too.

Guest Justin Maheiny

Derrick. Imagine if we combine your idea with my idea. Genius! You get a random person to send a record to but said record must be purchased online while shitfaced and mailed directly to the recipient. Will pretty much be a complete surprise for everyone involved. I mean you could get some $5.00 Neil Diamond Sweet Caroline picture disc(my last wasted purchase) or something actually worth owning. It's kinda like the lottery but everyone wins.

If nothing else, thanks for giving me a reason to take a picture of my Neil Diamond record.

Untitled_1.jpg

dreamover hates everything i do, its nothing new haha. and i dont know about everyone else but i have a bunch of readily available records on my wantlist that i just either cant justify getting because im lazy or just slip my mind a lot of the time. not everyone's wantlist consists of 100$+ records.

Oh Derrick, I don't hate you. I promise I'd reply the same to your posts no matter who is posting. It's nothing personal, I honestly don't know if you're fucking with us half the time. You really say the darnedest things.

Cheers

Guest Justin Maheiny

Always wondered what Neil was doing there. 

lol

I think that's the required crotch thrust with simultaneous double hand karate chop towards the genitals one must do while performing the BUM! BUM! BUM! part of Sweet Caroline. Or at least that's how I do it at the karaoke bar.