Silversun Pickups - The Singles Collection

Are you saying that NOTW managed to directly interfere with your ability to enjoy their previous records?

Yes and no. When a band comes out with an album that I hate, I tend to stop listening to that band in favor of other bands that release music that I actually enjoy. That doesn't mean that I can't go back and listen to Carnavas, which is one of my favorite albums ever, and enjoy it, but I sure don't listen to it as much as I did pre-Neck of the Woods.

I have faith that it will be a cool set. They have been pretty good with vinyl packaging so far.

I would have to agree with that. My wife got me the limited edition release of Neck Of The Woods. Had tons of exclusive things inside like personal photos and handwritten lyrics. I would have to say that their creativity will most likely spill over to this release as well.

I love this band, but I'm not so much of a collector. The only way they can get me to buy this is if they do something really interesting and different with the presentation. Otherwise not much of a point having these over the full albums, in my opinion. Although I am really digging Cannibal. Wish they were selling just that 7" alone.

i understand most aspects of record collecting (i mean, i collect records), but i'm not sure i will ever understand the idea of rooting for a label to make a pointless release just so i have something to buy. am i crazy?

Except for two songs, I have all of these on great sounding vinyl in the order they were intended. I'd much rather just get a 7" of the new songs.

Completely disagree. I think it's cool just like their other albums. You don't want to hear the exact same album over and over again do you? To each their own I guess

No, it's funny you said that because I was going to mention in my original post that that's probably the first time I've disagreed with a band's progression. I just really liked their ethereal and airy side much more than what Neck of the Woods had to offer. It's not bad by any means, but those first two albums struck a chord with me. Regardless, SSPU will probably always be one of my favorite bands. 

From LA Times:

"The Singles Collection" will feature six 7-inch records with 12 of the band's formal singles (or just 11 if you opt for the digital version). The collection spans selections from the debut EP, 2005's local favorite "Pikul," up through its three full-length LP's, including 2012's "Neck of the Woods."

The final slab of wax will include two unreleased tracks -- a "Swoon" era B-side "Devil's Cup" and a brand new track, "Cannibal," that the band is streaming on its site (listen below).

The vinyl set will be available Feb. 25 on the band's longtime label, the L.A. indie Dangerbird. In the meantime, it's a fine occasion to go dig up your CD copy of "Pikul" and recall the killing you'd have made if you'd have put Silversun Pickups at the top of your next-international-platinum-act-from-L.A. rock band betting pool back then."

It's up now for pre-order:

http://silversunpickups.com/

$65 Box Set & Extras: INCLUDES: Autographed Vinyl Box Set, Custom 7” vinyl adapter, Exclusive T-shirt, 11x17” Poster, instant MP3 download of "Cannibal"

$45 Box Set only: INCLUDES: Vinyl Box Set, Custom 7” vinyl adapter, instant MP3 download of "Cannibal"

Wonder who did the photography. It reminds me of Antony Crook, but more on (below) ground level and confrontational.

Gotta stick with my guns, like I figured I would, and not get this. I really think Silversun Pickups' songs are open-ended enough and the band is inventive enough that they could have made an interesting reinterpretation album of "singles."

went with this. their signatures and a t-shirt i'll never wear sure isn't worth $35-40. 

Word. I would usually just sell the shirt and poster to even it out and keep the cool stuff but I dont think I could get back $35 from it. I'm trying to be responsible and stop buying the most expensive version of things. Its a bitch. :/