New to Vinyl Records, looking for info on my dads old collection.

Hey everyone my names Spencer, I recently dug out a whole plastic storage box of Vinyl records my father collected over the years. Ive been listening to some on my fathers record player too. He has records from Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Bruce Springsteen, The Who, The Rolling stone, and many others from that era. Some of the albums contain poster's, and other things for example; I have a Dark side of the Moon by Pink Floyd record thats basically brand new in the sleeve with two posters and a card that havent even been unfolded. I can take pictures if someone would be willing to help me see if theres any rarities, or desirable contents within this collection. Theres just so many records I have no idea where to start.

Discogs... for sure. There are catalog numbers on the disc and jacket spine that will help you narrow down the pressing version. Even more would be the numbers etched into the record near the label. That is called the Matrix and that will help find the exact pressing. That is very important when trying to find out the value of classic rock as your average Rolling Stones album has been pressed 20+ times.

You can expect to find most classic rock will value in the $10-$50 range in the condition and complete as you say. On Discogs once you find, lets ay that pressing of Darkside of the Moon... click on the For Sale and scroll down till you find a listing for someone selling it in the same condition with the same inserts and figure that is the top going rate for that album.

It gets easier as you look more. and I think that card you speak of is a sticker

These old records, you definitely want to do your homework on. A slight variation, misprint, etc can really change the value. While most are probably common, a few dollars, to 10 dollars, it doesn't hurt to look. I have a large collection of 60's garage type stuff, and discogs isn't always up to date with older vinyl, but still a valuable resource. 

For example, a mono vs. stereo will sometimes dramatically change the value, or a label like where London is printed. It's weird. Like everyone said, do your homework. If anything, it can really can you a great deal of knowledge and learn a little something about records, bands, etc. Good luck! 

Here is a record I snagged for a dollar at a record store. 

http://www.popsike.com/The-Toads-Self-Title-Rare-1964-Surf-Garage-New-Jersey-Morpheus/300900082923.html

Most people are helpful here! I am fairly new, but have many positives already. Glad I finally saw the light. 

These old records, you definitely want to do your homework on. A slight variation, misprint, etc can really change the value. While most are probably common, a few dollars, to 10 dollars, it doesn't hurt to look. I have a large collection of 60's garage type stuff, and discogs isn't always up to date with older vinyl, but still a valuable resource. 

For example, a mono vs. stereo will sometimes dramatically change the value, or a label like where London is printed. It's weird. Like everyone said, do your homework. If anything, it can really can you a great deal of knowledge and learn a little something about records, bands, etc. Good luck! 

Here is a record I snagged for a dollar at a record store. 

http://www.popsike.com/The-Toads-Self-Title-Rare-1964-Surf-Garage-New-Jersey-Morpheus/300900082923.html 

Yes, definitely do your research. I actually just cataloged my whole collection on Discogs to make sure I had a complete list, and found out that I do have some nice first presses and cool variations. It can never hurt to check, and make sure you do it thoroughly - look for the serial on the spine, and on the label, and it may even be printed somewhere on the jacket. You may have found a copy where somebody swapped out the record into a cleaner looking jacket from a later press, which can hurt the value.

Anyway, your chances are good that you'll find something worth something, especially that Dark Side of the Moon. If it's an early pressing, with all the stuff still in the sleeve, you can get a good price for it. Most people selling vinyl out of their garage don't know what they have.

Good luck!

And ajhall04: Cool find! And you sold it for $275? Great profit.

Yes, definitely do your research. I actually just cataloged my whole collection on Discogs to make sure I had a complete list, and found out that I do have some nice first presses and cool variations. It can never hurt to check, and make sure you do it thoroughly - look for the serial on the spine, and on the label, and it may even be printed somewhere on the jacket. You may have found a copy where somebody swapped out the record into a cleaner looking jacket from a later press, which can hurt the value.

Anyway, your chances are good that you'll find something worth something, especially that Dark Side of the Moon. If it's an early pressing, with all the stuff still in the sleeve, you can get a good price for it. Most people selling vinyl out of their garage don't know what they have.

Good luck!

And ajhall04: Cool find! And you sold it for $275? Great profit.

It actually went to an amazing home. A surf collector overseas has probably one of the best surf collections in the world. He didn't have that. I'm not into surf all that much, so I was able to purchase some things I had my eye on (Zombies, The Horde, Seeds, etc). 

tumblr_lwg6i8oZFq1qzjix8.gif

http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon/131329687?ev=bp_rel_det

cheapest COMPLETE VG+ first pressing US Dark Side of the Moon on Discogs is $45... but... in this forum the only albums worth money are Brand New and Kanye West

http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon/131329687?ev=bp_rel_det

cheapest COMPLETE VG+ first pressing US Dark Side of the Moon on Discogs is $45... but... in this forum the only albums worth money are Brand New and Kanye West

There's a big difference between the one record he mentioned, and your claim of "most classic rock".

If you could get $5 each, I'd jump on that. Just because brick and mortar record stores sell these albums for $8-$12 doesn't mean you're going to get that on ebay. Most likely these albums are of the widely available sort and you won't be Scrooge McDucking your way through a vault of gold coins at the end of this.

Also, this board has either really mellowed out over the passed couple of weeks or this thread is about to become a shit-show.

popsike.com is a decent place to browse through as well. A good deal of people freak out when they find a "big name" album like darkside.. but since vinyl was the medium at the time, and the record sold a bajillion copies.. the majority of them are dollar bin items. But theres always those early presses, weird import versions etc..