PO: Nas - Illmatic XX

Nas has announced that his seminal debut album, Illmatic, will be released as a special 20th Anniversary Edition, titled Illmatic XX, on April 15th by SONY Legacy. This exclusive collection will feature several rare remixes, unreleased demos and freestyles to commemorate the anniversary. 2CD set and 1LP vinyl via http://www.amazon.com/Illmatic-XX-Nas/dp/B00I6B2J36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391554857&sr=8-1&keywords=nas+illmatic+xx+vinyl . Nas has also announced that he will be touring the U.S. and performing the groundbreaking Illmatic from front to back to celebrate the release. The tour will kick off with special performances  this spring at both the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts as well as this year’s Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival. Further details surrounding the tour will be released in the coming weeks.  

“With Illmatic, I didn't think about it. I just did it. I believe everybody has good instincts. Now I’m a man from that past and I'm supremely grateful. There's a Nigerian proverb ‘What is past is prologue’.  I'm here today because of Illmatic.” - Nas  

Tracklisting: Disc 1: Remastered original album

1. The Genesis  

2. N.Y. State Of Mind  

3. Life's A Bitch  

4. The World Is Yours  

5. Halftime  

6. Memory Lane (Sittin' In Da Park)  

7. One Love

8. One Time 4 Your Mind

9. Represent

10. It Ain't Hard To Tell    

Disc 2: Demos, Remixes & Live Radio

1. I'm A Villain (previously unreleased)

2. The Stretch Armstrong and Bobbito Show on WKCR October 28, 1993 (previously unreleased freestyle)

3. Halftime (Butcher Remix)

4. It Ain't Hard To Tell (Remix)(promo single)

5. One Love (LG Main Mix)

6. Life’s A Bitch (Arsenal Mix)(promo single)

7. One Love (One L Main Mix)

8. The World Is Yours (Tip Mix)

9. It Ain't Hard To Tell (The Stink Mix)(UK single)

10. It Ain't Hard To Tell (The Laidback Remix)(UK single)  

In conjunction with the release, Time Is Illmatic – a feature length documentary film that examines the album – will be released in 2014. The movie, from first-time filmmakers One9 (director/producer) and Erik Parker (writer/produer), delves into the making of Illmatic; the social conditions that created it; and the music legacy passed down from Nas’ Mississippi-born father and celebrated jazz musician, Olu Dara. Time Is Illmatic is supported by The Ford Foundations’ Just Films and Tribeca All Access. More information will be released on the film in the coming months.  For more information go to www.TimeIsIllmatic.com.

I can't see buying this again, but it is undoubtedly in my top 5 hip-hop albums of all time. I'm super stoked on that tour. I already had the pleasure of seeing a bunch of my other favorite albums front to back at Rock The Bells 2012 (L.A.), so knocking another one off the list would be incredible. That doc might be cool too. Now can we finally get that fucking Nas + Premo full-length already? I'm gonna be on fucking oxygen support by the time they get around to it.

I can't see buying this again, but it is undoubtedly in my top 5 hip-hop albums of all time. I'm super stoked on that tour. I already had the pleasure of seeing a bunch of my other favorite albums front to back at Rock The Bells 2012 (L.A.), so knocking another one off the list would be incredible. That doc might be cool too. Now can we finally get that fucking Nas + Premo full-length already? I'm gonna be on fucking oxygen support by the time they get around to it.

Same boat here. One of my favourite albums of all-time but I already have this on wax and I'll be content with the original 10 tracks.

I went to Rock the Bells in 2010. I think Nas was the only hip-hop act missing that year, woulda been amazing to see him, so I think this tour is definitely something to be excited for and something worth trying to get to! Thanks for posting.

This is my favourite hip hop album of all time.. So this is definitely one of the few records I don't mind buying multiple times. I have the original release, the 10th anniversary release, and I'll be adding the 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th etc anniversary releases to the collection

Won't that be the day, when we see the 50th anniversary release of a seminal rap classic?!

Dear God that cover is TERRIBLE.

The repress has been available forever. For a while you could grab it for $8. There's also a European repress that's slightly more expensive.... Not sure if there's any difference in SQ between the two.

Both have the original orange-ish/brown cover, rather than the 10th anniversary B&W cover.

Apparently some people don't understand the word "remastered".

Especially when it comes to vinyl, a "remastered vinyl reissue" in the 2000s rarely translates to "the best sound quality to date." Just ask the 45 RPM Metallica reissues (OOF).

Just to put this in perspective: The recent 2XLP reissue of Temple Of The Dog from 1991 was a big improvement, mainly because they expanded the record to a double and gave the grooves more space. Conversely, the recent "XX remaster" of Rage Against The Machine from 1992 was a disaster, and you'd be much better off hunting down the original all-analog pressing (or the MOV reissue from the same master). So even when we're talking about a record from the early 90s, no one really knows if the remaster is gonna be an improvement or a huge disappointment.

The difference between Illmatic and the records listed above, though, is that this record has been in print for a long time... and at MUCH cheaper prices than $30. So this newest version isn't filling any particular void in the marketplace (unlike the recent reissue of Ready To Die) because you can still get this...

http://www.amazon.com/Illmatic-Vinyl-Nas/dp/B00004WX4X

So basically, you're paying more than double for a puke-inducing cover and an uncertain remastering job.