Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

Wife made this last night: http://www.thevegancrew.com/?p=8156

Creamy Tuscan White Bean Soup. It was pretty great. It is almost a little too creamy, we had to add some extra stock. I'd cut the cashews down a bit next time. I also did my cashews with stock instead of water and as with nearly all vegan blog recipes, you need more salt.

Thanks for posting this recipe, I made it for dinner tonight and really enjoyed it!

Personally, the soy arguments are complete and udder (lol) bull shit ( cow puns ).  Like everything else, eat it in moderation.  I've cut it from my diet completely and saw no change, and I ate lots and lots of it and saw no change.  It's just meat industry propaganda - followed by people who think it's crazy to give up eating meat, since it's the whole circle of life, survival of the fittest bullshit.

Personally, the soy arguments are complete and udder (lol) bull shit ( cow puns ).  Like everything else, eat it in moderation.  I've cut it from my diet completely and saw no change, and I ate lots and lots of it and saw no change.  It's just meat industry propaganda - followed by people who think it's crazy to give up eating meat, since it's the whole circle of life, survival of the fittest bullshit.

i heard soy gives you boobs

I just tried this vegan recipe last night. It was awesome!!! It's a cheesy alfredo pasta if anyone is interested:

http://luminousvegans.com/2013/10/10/cheesy-vegan-alfredo-peas-kale/

That looks delicious!  I burned myself out on pasta last year, but once I get the hankering for it again I'll probably make this.

Also, they started selling these at Whole Foods

http://www.amazon.com/Imagine-Foods-Almond-Dream-Multi-pack/dp/B00JHGVPN4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397568047&sr=8-3&keywords=almond+dream+latte

They make me really happy.  They are the same price online as in the store ( 2 bucks each ) and taste pretty fucking good.  I compared caffeine content, calories, and sugar to the non-vegan alternatives and these seem healthier with more caffeine.  I compared to the starbucks frapps though.

We make cashew cream all the time, do you have a Vitamix? Speaking of which, has anyone ever add probiotics or cultures to their cashew cream?

I've made the alfredo recipe before, it was good but I feel like I would have done something a little differently. What it was escapes me now, doesn't help you guys much. 

Also, they started selling these at Whole Foods

http://www.amazon.com/Imagine-Foods-Almond-Dream-Multi-pack/dp/B00JHGVPN4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397568047&sr=8-3&keywords=almond+dream+latte

They make me really happy.  They are the same price online as in the store ( 2 bucks each ) and taste pretty fucking good.  I compared caffeine content, calories, and sugar to the non-vegan alternatives and these seem healthier with more caffeine.  I compared to the starbucks frapps though.

they just started selling this at my local grocery store. (jewel). it's incredible. tastes just like those starbucks frappuccinos. tried the vanilla but just picked up mocha. 

http://almondbreeze.com/?navid=552&pid=555

Tonight I made a great veggie sandwich/burger. Costco sells these Malibu garden burgers that are so delicious, basically like patties made of hashbrowns/corn/peppers/ just good stuff, and I put it on a croissant with homegrown avocado and tomatoes, balsamic mayonnaise, ketchup, and soysauce. 

I made this a few nights ago http://ohsheglows.com/2011/12/13/naughty-nice-vegan-enchilada-casserole/ It might be one of the best things I've ever made, it was REALLY damn good.  I might cut the recipe in half next time, because I'll be eating it for the next week.  Would be super easy to make gluten free with a GF pasta and I'm guessing nutritional yeast could be subbed for Daiya (which I'm going to try next time).

That looks awesome.  Also, Daiya is GF and SF ( soy free ), which is good.  Nutritional Yeast alone doesn't seem to cut it for me.

Tonight I've decided I wanna make stuffed peppers with a cheesy bean and rice, topped with sour cream!  Usually I use big bell peppers, but I think I wanna experiment with poblanos.

That looks awesome.  Also, Daiya is GF and SF ( soy free ), which is good.  Nutritional Yeast alone doesn't seem to cut it for me.

I like nutritional yeast, but it doesn't always work as a good cheese substitute.  I've used it in things I've baked before and been really happy with it, but if it's something where you need a melty 'cheese' it doesn't work at all.

e2a23cbec6a111e3bc9d0002c9db0cdc_8.jpg

I stirfried refried beans, tomatoes, onions, hot green chiles and seasonings, added rice at the last minute, and stuffed into these peppers. Some have daiya cheese in them, and the middle one was all cheese.

Dollop of tofutti sour cream on top.  They rule.  I need to cook the peppers longer/hotter though, 25 min at 375 isn't enough :(

I stirfried refried beans, tomatoes, onions, hot green chiles and seasonings, added rice at the last minute, and stuffed into these peppers. Some have daiya cheese in them, and the middle one was all cheese.

Dollop of tofutti sour cream on top.  They rule.  I need to cook the peppers longer/hotter though, 25 min at 375 isn't enough :(

Yeah, roasting peppers takes a while!  I want to say closer to 45 minutes to an hour is right, but I can't quite remember.  They look good though!

So I read through this thread and saw a lot of recipes I want to try. I made the switch to vegetarian at the beginning of the year. I had done it before for about two years then just stopped. This time my mom agreed to go meatless more often which is helpful since we eat together.

My favorite things are smoothies and hummus. I make my own hummus and add in different ingredients for flavor.

As far as packaged foods, I really enjoy GoPicnic. I hadn't seen it brought up before. Not all of their meals are veg*n but some are. They are packed full of protein and fairly healthy. Target has them in Texas and slowly the rest of the retailers are getting them.

Also Toffuti QTs are amazing! We have been buying those for several years. Definitely the best when it comes to ice cream.

I'm really interested in those black bean brownies. I might have both ingredients in the house and will try them this week for sure. Protein and chocolate!

My favorite things are smoothies and hummus. I make my own hummus and add in different ingredients for flavor.

I can't remember if I posted this or not, but this is my go to hummus recipe.  I usually go heavy on the chipotle peppers and increase the lemon juice a bit.  Probably takes me more time to collect all the ingredients than it does to actually make, super quick and easy overall though.

http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/chipotle-hummus/

• 5 weeks later...