The "that song's a cover?!" thread

I could stick with the clash and admit that it was years before I figured out "I fought the law" was a cover

I'm with you on that, I thought it was a Clash song for a good couple years before I found out it wasn't.  But then again, that was before I really got into "oldies" rock 'n' roll and discovered how many bands were doing old songs as covers.

I always feel a need to point out that that "all I wanna do is boom boom boom and take ya money" (blanking on the name) is a sample of "straight to hell" by the clash but they don't really care

yea, every time I hear MIA - Paper planes, I also tell people they got it from the Clash, and the result is the same, no one cares.

I recently learned that "1985" by Bowling For Soup was a cover.

Not technically.... the lead singer's from both bands collaborated and wrote it together. Yes, with intentions for it to be on SR-71's new album. However, SR-71 had problems with getting distribution in the US, so their version/album was only released in like Australia or some shit. So, both dudes agreed Bowling For Soup should record it and put it on their new album for release in America. I think when you helped write the song you can't really call it a cover.

I remember reading that BFS heard SR-71's version and asked for permission to record the cover. The only reason Jaret has a writing credit is because he changed some of the lyrics.

eh, different articles. could be. i read about this several years ago. could've been false/could be remembering wrong.

i do know mitch and jaret are tight and thats not how whatever i read came across.