Along the same lines, after the shootout scene where Cohle and Ginger get picked up by Marty and Marty speeds off.

A cop car drives right by them, that cop doesn't think anything of it and just keeps on driving?

By hoping the fence before they got picked up they weren't really in the escape from the scene route.

They said there was one way in and one way out.

Along the same lines, after the shootout scene where Cohle and Ginger get picked up by Marty and Marty speeds off.

A cop car drives right by them, that cop doesn't think anything of it and just keeps on driving?

Pretty sure a cop on the way to a shootout doesn't care about a standard caprice classic blowing a stop sign to get away.

I strongly don't think that anything supernatural will happen.

I think the deer and father-in-law points are interesting.

One thing to keep in mind also, from a legal standpoint as soon as he opened a can of beer during that interrogation.. anything he said would be inadmissible in a court.

Surprised the detectives allowed it if they really think it is him.

Good call, I didn't even think of that.

Out of all the things I've read online, the one thing I can't stop thinking about is how when Rust asks Marty if he's ever hunted before while they're tracking Ledeoux, he answers that he's killed a 10 point buck recently.

The antlers that are on the girl from the first episode are from a 10 point buck.

This exactly. All my money's on Marty.

I've been thinking the same thing since the beginning of the 5th episode.

The daughter's drawings, her dolls being set up exactly the same way that Rust set up his cut out beer can statuettes, the way Marty rushes out and kills Ledoux's dude before he can see his face and say something, the way he wanted to call backup before they got up to the house and then insists on them doing it themselves without backup once they get to the house....

Many clues.

Edit: Also when talking to lawnmower man, (who is the spaghetti monster), Marty stays in the car (doesn't want any part in talking to him), and before Rust can go check out the school (owned by the Tuttle governor) he calls Rust and tells him they have an urgent call. But, we don't hear anything on the radio. Rust finally goes back to the school and finds the drawings and blair witch proj. sticks.

Marty has been letting Rust take the lead the whole time because Marty doesn't want to help him solve the case.  In many places, Marty has actually tried to subtly or not so subtly push Rust away from the facts.

The daughter's drawings, her dolls being set up exactly the same way that Rust set up his cut out beer can statuettes, the way Marty rushes out and kills Ledoux's dude before he can see his face and say something, the way he wanted to call backup before they got up to the house and then insists on them doing it themselves without backup once they get to the house....

Many clues.

Edit: Also when talking to lawnmower man, (who is the spaghetti monster), Marty stays in the car (doesn't want any part in talking to him), and before Rust can go check out the school (owned by the Tuttle governor) he calls Rust and tells him they have an urgent call. But, we don't hear anything on the radio. Rust finally goes back to the school and finds the drawings and blair witch proj. sticks.

Marty has been letting Rust take the lead the whole time because Marty doesn't want to help him solve the case.  In many places, Marty has actually tried to subtly or not so subtly push Rust away from the facts.

Yep, all spot on.  Also can't tell if he really has a conscience or if he just really wants his wife/family back with all those times he keeps saying "I'm all fucked up/in a bad place/etc"  Also Maggie agreeing with him, saying he used to be a good man.

There are only 5 episodes? I think grandaddy looked like a diddler. Anyone think the Yellow King is the preacher involved with the task force?

No I think right now all of the evidence is on Marty being the Yellow King.

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/hbo-true-detective-poster-yellow-king-clue-195650813.html

Very interesting discussion about the 5 male dolls being surrounded by the 1 doll and then later on she being part of a threesome in her teenage years.  I think someone is onto something here about her possibly bearing witness to a "sacrifice" involving her father.  

Also, when the older daughter steals the princess "crown" from the younger daughter and gets it stuck up in the tree is also some kind of clue or foreshadowing.  

Also, I think the "True Detective" is meant to be YOU the viewer.

Also, I think the "True Detective" is meant to be YOU the viewer.

i've been thinking the same. imagine if this was all just a sort of hoax to fuck with the all-too-obsessed internet fanbase? like the season ends without any actual reveal, and it's up to the viewer to figure it out.

there's a concept there that could be pretty cool, but this show is too good on it own to fuck around like that.

all this marty stuff is starting to make too much sense.

especially given the way he keeps repeating the idea of it being right under one's nose. this whole time, it's been said in a way to make us think that the answer was under his nose all along, when really, he meant rust.

i've been thinking the same. imagine if this was all just a sort of hoax to fuck with the all-too-obsessed internet fanbase? like the season ends without any actual reveal, and it's up to the viewer to figure it out.

there's a concept there that could be pretty cool, but this show is too good on it own to fuck around like that.

especially given the way he keeps repeating the idea of it being right under one's nose. this whole time, it's been said in a way to make us think that the answer was under his nose all along, when really, he meant rust.

Also, why do they keep hammering home the fact that Marty is the one with the "secretly flawed" morality?  I don't see why else his whole affair is even part of the show for any other reason to show that "people aren't always who they appear to be"

The ending you're suggesting kind of sounds like the end to Caché (which is an awesome movie that everyone should see). Where it just sort of stops, but the answer is given, but the viewer has to be looking for it. I think it would be tough for the show to execute, but would be incredible if they pulled it off.

I also still can't buy into the whole "Marty or Rust is the actual killer" theories. It seems like such a cop-out of a twist.

The ending you're suggesting kind of sounds like the end to Caché (which is an awesome movie that everyone should see). Where it just sort of stops, but the answer is given, but the viewer has to be looking for it. I think it would be tough for the show to execute, but would be incredible if they pulled it off.

I also still can't buy into the whole "Marty or Rust is the actual killer" theories. It seems like such a cop-out of a twist.

For me it's gonna depend on how they develop the yellow king over the last 3 episodes. Do you really want it to be the lawnmower guy, the preacher or Marty's father-in-law who they've basically given 5 whole minutes each of character development? If anything, my only critique would be that the writers gave it away too early if it is Marty.

It seems like the majority of the Marty evidence is based on "he doesn't want the evidence to be discovered" but that could just as easily be explained by him just not being as good of a detective and not being perceptive of the bigger picture. I can't see him being the yellow king. Just seems completely in disagreement with his personality.

I need to go back and see the way that the beer can men were set up. That's an interesting connection.

It seems like the majority of the Marty evidence is based on "he doesn't want the evidence to be discovered" but that could just as easily be explained by him just not being as good of a detective and not being perceptive of the bigger picture. I can't see him being the yellow king. Just seems completely in disagreement with his personality.

I need to go back and see the way that the beer can men were set up. That's an interesting connection.

I disagree. A lot of why I feel it's him has nothing to do with him trying to hide the evidence. Much of it has to do with his personal troubles revolving around his family life and his skepticism of Cohle's scientific mindset. I see a much more flawed character in Marty than I do in Cohle (who the writers have tried desperately to ignite skepticism).