I haven't seen anyone mention when Rust was on the computer in season 5, and he came across a slew of missing persons cases that were all 'made in error'. All of those missing were born between 78-85. I'm not sure if he came across them when he was looking at Childress's file or not. I'm thinking that was the case, because it was right after he asked to see Childress's file. Those two detectives might be set up to frame Rust from the department itself because they know he is on to them.

I disagree. A lot of why I feel it's him has nothing to do with him trying to hide the evidence. Much of it has to do with his personal troubles revolving around his family life and his skepticism of Cohle's scientific mindset. I see a much more flawed character in Marty than I do in Cohle (who the writers have tried desperately to ignite skepticism).

Ok so he is not as good of a detective, he cheated on his wife, and is religious.

Not saying there's no way it could possibly be him, but these things could also just as easily be taken at face value.

The daughter's drawings, her dolls being set up exactly the same way that Rust set up his cut out beer can statuettes, the way Marty rushes out and kills Ledoux's dude before he can see his face and say something, the way he wanted to call backup before they got up to the house and then insists on them doing it themselves without backup once they get to the house....

doesn't look like the dolls were set-up that way by the daughter. probably just marty's imagination.

http://imgur.com/a/wDscs

Ok so he is not as good of a detective, he cheated on his wife, and is religious.

Not saying there's no way it could possibly be him, but these things could also just as easily be taken at face value.

He's also got yellow hair.  Did you see the billboard poster of the link I posted earlier today?  It cuts his head off at the top and splits it back on the bottom with the branches of the tree subliminally forming a "crown" atop his head.  He also said he's hunted deer before (for antlers???).  Also, I think Marty telling his wife he "hasn't been himself lately" implicates more than just his affair.  There's a lot pointing at Marty, IMO.

This is the type of show were I'm not going to guarantee Marty is the Yellow King or anything.  A lot can happen in the last 3 episodes.  Though as we stand right now after 5 episodes, there's just no way I don't have him atop the suspect list.

He's also got yellow hair.  Did you see the billboard poster of the link I posted earlier today?  It cuts his head off at the top and splits it back on the bottom with the branches of the tree subliminally forming a "crown" atop his head.  He also said he's hunted deer before (for antlers???).  There's a lot pointing at Marty, IMO.

I get how you could see a lot of small and subtle clues for him doing it, but to accept them you'd have to ignore the big clues that are right in front of you that he didn't do it.  This show has been just as much about character exploration as it has been about the central mystery itself. And everything we've learned about Marty and the amount of time we've seen him, just don't lead me to believe he did it.

I could be wrong, and if I am, I just hope it's done in a convincing manner that doesn't lead to dozens of plot holes (which twists like this are wont to do).

Another possibility is that the father-in-law is the yellow king. He took the daughter to some satanic worship event when she was very young, she recreated with the dolls.

Cohle could potentially be recreating an satanic worship that he hasn't seen yet in the earlier timeline. Maybe he discovers one later. He clearly is not giving up on the case yet...

That just seems a lot cleaner to me than Rusty being the leader of the whole thing.

I get how you could see a lot of small and subtle clues for him doing it, but to accept them you'd have to ignore the big clues that are right in front of you that he didn't do it.  This show has been just as much about character exploration as it has been about the central mystery itself. And everything we've learned about Marty and the amount of time we've seen him, just don't lead me to believe he did it.

I could be wrong, and if I am, I just hope it's done in a convincing manner that doesn't lead to dozens of plot holes (which twists like this are wont to do).

What are the big clues that clear him of being the killer?  The small and subtle clues are why I love this show.  I don't want something spoon fed to me, you really gotta think and use logic and try to piece everything they're giving you together.  Kind of like how a real detective would act.  That's why I think it was intended that the "True Detective" is meant to be YOU the viewer.

Another possibility is that the father-in-law is the yellow king. He took the daughter to some satanic worship event when she was very young, she recreated with the dolls.

Cohle could potentially be recreating an satanic worship that he hasn't seen yet in the earlier timeline. Maybe he discovers one later. He clearly is not giving up on the case yet...

That just seems a lot cleaner to me than Rusty being the leader of the whole thing.

I won't rule out the father-in-law but then again they've given him all of 5 minutes the entire series up to this point (same with the lawnmower dude).  Things can change of course but as of right now, the writers would just be pulling him out of left field.

What are the big clues that clear him of being the killer?  

I'd say a big one is that no one has recognized him. They've talked to and met a ton of shady people all associated with the killings. And none of them said "Hey aren't you...?". And Rust has so many spur of the moment plans/trips that Marty goes on that he would probably be much more hesitant about if he were actually involved for fear he night run into someone he knows.

Also he looked genuinely surprised and disgusted when he found those two kids, and he was by himself when that happened so there would be no need to fake that reaction.

Also he's a detective investigating the case, and this isn't an episode of a CBS murder procedural that resorts to lame twists like "It was the detective the whole time."

What are the big clues that clear him of being the killer?  

Also, he seems to genuinely love his kids, but somehow the daughter was abused in a way that based on the dolls, is sexual/satanic in nature.

So what is it? He loves his daughters as any normal father would or he is the yellow king and somehow abused the one through that personality? Or the love of the daughter is just a front and he is really sick when he puts on the crown, even to the point of abusing his daughter?

I'd say a big one is that no one has recognized him. They've talked to and met a ton of shady people all associated with the killings. And none of them said "Hey aren't you...?". And Rust has so many spur of the moment plans/trips that Marty goes on that he would probably be much more hesitant about if he were actually involved for fear he night run into someone he knows.

Also he looked genuinely surprised and disgusted when he found those two kids, and he was by himself when that happened so there would be no need to fake that reaction.

Also he's a detective investigating the case, and this isn't an episode of a CBS murder procedural that resorts to lame twists like "It was the detective the whole time."

There has been literally 1 person interviewed so far that has mentioned "The Yellow King".  He spewed it out after being interrogated while trying to work out a deal to lesson a murder charge.  He then died in jail (apparent suicide but there might be more to that as well).  The other guy who knew about the Yellow King was immediately shot in the head by Marty once he started talking.

Also, he seems to genuinely love his kids, but somehow the daughter was abused in a way that based on the dolls, is sexual/satanic in nature.

So what is it? He loves his daughters as any normal father would or he is the yellow king and somehow abused the one through that personality? Or the love of the daughter is just a front and he is really sick when he puts on the crown, even to the point of abusing his daughter?

I'm not sure she was sexually abused but maybe was a witness to something her father did at a very young age and that has helped shape her into her teens.  There is A LOT going on with that specific daughter and the fact that she's so troubled really doesn't hurt my theory that it is Marty.