my theory is that Rust never lost his little girl to a car accident, but in fact by the killer thats out there.  i feel like the killer is playing mind games with him, similar to "the mentalist"  

i think its way too much of a coincidence that the killing that introduced the series happened on his daughters bday.  I think he has become obsessed with tracking the killer, which led him to narcatics and led him to NOLA.  when he heard the killer was still alive then wound up dead in the cell soon after, he realized he had to quit, go rogue, and continue the search for the killer on his own.  

the reason he made tracking the killer his life was because the killer took a part of his life.

This theory is pretty damn solid

my theory is that Rust never lost his little girl to a car accident, but in fact by the killer thats out there.  i feel like the killer is playing mind games with him, similar to "the mentalist"  

i think its way too much of a coincidence that the killing that introduced the series happened on his daughters bday.  I think he has become obsessed with tracking the killer, which led him to narcatics and led him to NOLA.  when he heard the killer was still alive then wound up dead in the cell soon after, he realized he had to quit, go rogue, and continue the search for the killer on his own.  

the reason he made tracking the killer his life was because the killer took a part of his life.

Makes perfect sense, I could see that.

I think the daughters birthday, hanging round Marty's place, the involvement of that biker gang were all just triggers for Rust, stuff that kind of set him off, took him back to worse times I guess, Shit he thought he was thru. Would make sense with the idea of the "Yellow King" story of how the play shows all the most horrific parts of humanity until the reader (in this case Rust) goes insane. 

The daughter killer I think is just a little TOO much. But fuck, who knows at this point. It just seems like too much back story to sort thru in two episodes. 

Just caught up with the show last night. Real good. I think the pattern established, both explicitly in the interview and implicitly with Marty's children, is that he often misses warning signs when he is too close. So, maybe that means older daughter is caught up with the cult stuff, but having her be involved in a murder seems a bit hammy. 

I'm hoping we don't get a hokey twist like that.

Well, it's official that True Detective has been signed for a second season. Sad that Cary Fukunaga won't be doing any directing for the second season, but he will still be involved as an executive producer which I kind of expected anyway.  Writer/creator Nic Pizzollatto has alluded that he may focus the second season on having two leading ladies since this season focused so much on women being victimized, but of course nothing is confirmed yet.

This show is definitely in my top favorite shows of all time, right behind breaking bad. Excited to see how far they will go with these next two episodes and how they plan on closing out the first season. All of it is just so....brilliant.

Did anyone notice what Tuttle said to Rust in the last episode when they were talking in his office?

"I'd heard he had taken it hard, drinking. I've seen more souls lost down a bottle than any pit. At the same time, it's hard to trust a man who can't trust himself with a beer, don't you think?"

They make it seem like Tuttle knows about Rust's past and his drinking problem. Why would Tuttle care to know about that? If you watch the scene again, Rust just says "Hmm.." like they both know the same thing. Most important scene of the episode in my opinion! Also, does Marty really think Rust is going to try and hurt him at the end of the episode?? Pulling his gun out and checking the rounds was a little over the top for me. Then again what if Marty committed the current murder of the woman under the bridge and is trying to frame Rust for what he did with his wife? Crazy theory but think about it! The first murder basically goes unsolved and Rust goes crazy over it. Marty knows that Rusty is so involved that he concocts some crazy plan to set him up.

This is actually a great theory that hadn't even crossed my mind.  I did find it weird that they found the body on the anniversary of his daughter's death, but didn't really think too much of it - just figured it was an opportunity to expose some of the darkness in Cole's life to explain who he is.

Did anyone notice what Tuttle said to Rust in the last episode when they were talking in his office?

"I'd heard he had taken it hard, drinking. I've seen more souls lost down a bottle than any pit. At the same time, it's hard to trust a man who can't trust himself with a beer, don't you think?"

They make it seem like Tuttle knows about Rust's past and his drinking problem. Why would Tuttle care to know about that? If you watch the scene again, Rust just says "Hmm.." like they both know the same thing. Most important scene of the episode in my opinion! Also, does Marty really think Rust is going to try and hurt him at the end of the episode?? Pulling his gun out and checking the rounds was a little over the top for me. Then again what if Marty committed the current murder of the woman under the bridge and is trying to frame Rust for what he did with his wife? Crazy theory but think about it! The first murder basically goes unsolved and Rust goes crazy over it. Marty knows that Rusty is so involved that he concocts some crazy plan to set him up.

There was a whole lot going on in that Tuttle interview.  I don't understand why so many people complained about this week's episode - it may not have been the most action packed, but a lot of theories were put to rest and a lot of things were cleared up to progress the show.  

I think Marty puking after beating the two guys in jail shows he doesn't have the stomach to be a violent man, and thus isn't involved in the murders.  I think he was checking his rounds at the end just to show there is still a lot of tension and unfinished business between the ex-partners.  Possibly that the new detectives put some doubt in Marty's mind about Cole's involvement, but not enough to make him turn coat on his one time partner.  Not necessarily that Marty wants to hurt him or believes he is involved with the cult.

Also did anyone notice in the preview for next week that Cole shows Marty some video that makes him flip out?  I have a strong feeling it has something to do with his daughter being involved in some cult gang bang or something.

I don't mind if the Tuttle in involved in some kind of child trafficking cover-up that he thinks Rust is looking into that maybe related to the murders but I sincerely hope we haven't seen the killer on screen yet.

Head priest hiding a satantic, murderous secret is a bit tired. Everything else has been a somewhat novel take on an established trope, sticking right to the formula seems a bit... I dunno. Easy.

I've got faith though, show has been great so far. I personally liked last episode! I think maybe you guys mentioned it but I'm not totally convinced Rust actually slept with his wife. 

I really can't get over how great this show is.

As someone else had mentioned, it's the only show I can't stop thinking about between each episode. I will say, whatever day they do go, and with so many different theories floating around [all that can be backed up], I hope it's not Rust or Marty doing the killings.

I don't mind if the Tuttle in involved in some kind of child trafficking cover-up that he thinks Rust is looking into but I sincerely hope we haven't seen the killer on screen yet.

Oh, I think it's all but a lock at this point that Tuttle is involved.  I just think the shows been leading us to this he was in charge of it, when in fact it is this "spaghetti monster" aka the big man with facial scars who is truly the yellow king.

i really think this is going to end up pretty straightforward

-marty and rust are not the killers

-the day his daughter died was setting up him being drunk at marty's house/remembering the exact day they found dora lange

It has to end straight forward, since next season has nothing to do with this case.  But I think there could be deeper meaning to the day of his daughters death.

It has to end straight forward, since next season has nothing to do with this case.  But I think there could be deeper meaning to the day of his daughters death.

i don't think there is a deeper meaning to it other than what i said before, but i guess we'll see.

and i reeeeally don't think the killer has been targeting rust since his daughter's death

edit: i meant straight forward as in "it's none of these complicated theories people are coming up with"