The Fall Of Troy's 2014 album

If you have a few minutes to waste, read through their FB and some of the comments on what they posted yesterday:

To any of you curious about the donation situation. Making things more clear and honest, TFoT as a band, has no money. We want to make a new album and play shows whenever possible for the 3 of us to do so. We're trying to do something different, and do this with just us, and you guys. Minus labels, booking agents, and all that kinda stuff whenever possible.

We lost our love for this band in the ...first place cause there was too many X-Factors keeping us from just making the crazy, fun, exciting music that we adored in the first place. There is going to be some things that aren't "the best looking website" or, "The most professional" grand, and flashy things as many bands have. But here's the deal.

It's gonna be from us, be real, and be honest. If you wanna donate to help us keep TFoT active, this is the way we have formulated to do it, there's no scams, no hidden agendas, nothing but love for this band, and love for you guys. It's up to all of you how much we are gonna end up doing this year and be able to do.

Anything donated will go solely to creating new music, DVD's, show expenses, and other awesome things we hope to be able to do. We're so glad to be friends again, and to be playing music together again. We're also so flattered you guys care at all... We'll keep playing in a storage shed if that's what's in store for us, this is just our D.I.Y. way of trying to share as much of this band as we can with all of you.

Bottom line, it does take money for a band to do anything these days, and we don't currently have any! We hope that you guys have our backs and feel like you wanna donate to help us continue to create, if not, or if you can't, that's okay too!!! We understand, and hope you continue to follow the band and enjoy anything we can muster up in the future.

We love you all so much, and are doing the best that we can for ourselves, and you guys.

See you sooner than later!

Sincerely Yours,

Tim, Thomas, and Andrew - The Fall of Troy

Some of the comments to this are priceless.

But the best was this meme someone posted:

1794631_10203322973097966_1702715832_n.j

That meme is great! I don't mind funding the occasional kickstarter and iniegogo or whatever but the idea that your fans should fund all of the money for you to record music is just stupid. I'm not a musician but I think if I wanted to release an album and didn't have a ton of money, I would work a JOB to accrue those funds. The sucky truth for most musicians in this kind of scene is you can't depend on making a lot of money for your music. A lot of us on here work "regular" jobs to support the lifestyle we choose to live. Being in a band is/should be the same thing. Why not work a job to fund your recording fees/etc?

wut. I don't even know why someone would pay all that money for "free baller shit" from their shows when they come to town when there's like a 1% chance they'll play in that town in the first place and they're depending on fans to make anything happen at all. This is horrendous omg get a booking agent at least.

Why don't they just do a normal kickstarter with reasonable perks? It's not on the fans to make sure they can pay for lodging, gas, touring expenses etc. A $20,000 Kickstarer goal would be reasonable and met easily for them.

HEY. THEY DONT NEED NO KICKSTARTERRRRR. THEY IZ DOIN IT ALL ON THEIR OWN.

Why would you pay for an artist to continue to create, doesn't sound like the music would be good. I mean if you don't have passion why would I assume your music is gonna be good?

If your hearts not in it then move on, because from the sounds of it this is a cash grab.

Because the term 'Starving Artist' was made up by Hallmark to sell flowers or something! (Halfway through a double shift and I have now crossed into insanity)

If your hearts not in it then move on, because from the sounds of it this is a cash grab.

I believe the way they are approaching this attempt at a "comeback" release is all wrong. I've only really looked at the vinyl options and a few others but it seems like they're overpriced and are heavily relying on the fans to fund the entire project. I'd love to hear new Fall of Troy but this is making it very difficult. I wonder if they're even putting in any effort into funding it as well. I've only ever funded two other album releases (so far).

I know its a different genre of music but I contributed to Bowling for Soup's new album. Their vinyl package (if i remember correctly) was $25 for the Vinyl and $40 got you the new album Lunch. Drunk. Love. and the 2011 album Fishing for Woos both signed by the entire band. I think they even included a handwritten thank you letter or that might have been another band.

The Fall of Troy needs to give more details on what will be offered at these prices. Concerning their vinyl release I say give away some extras! Are the vinyl jackets going to be signed? Why is there need for so many variant options? At least provide pictures of what we can expect. Personally I don't see why there should be many different priced variants for one album upon initial release (thats the cash grab) and no reason whatsoever to overprice it but thats just me. They are grown men and are capable of working to partially fund the project themselves if they really want to.

What's killing this "project" are a few things:

- The tiers and overall thing is too convoluted and doesn't many any sense. It's hard to comprehend what is truly being offered at each level and basically the entire thing. 

- Prices themselves are laughably overboard. $50 for a record? No, thanks. 

- There is no rhyme or reason to any of it. Sure, the band wants to have fans involved at every step of this in every aspect that each person is willing to participate and fund, but it comes across as a way to fleece the fans who are excited for their comeback. 

Even though it's in Kickstarter or Indiegogo (which would have made a lot more sense to have it set up in either place), this is as ludicrous as the Metric and Orgy fundraisers done last year. Hell, at least with either of those bands you knew what was being asked and could comprehend what was going on. Unlike here with TFOT. 

I believe the way they are approaching this attempt at a "comeback" release is all wrong. I've only really looked at the vinyl options and a few others but it seems like they're overpriced and are heavily relying on the fans to fund the entire project. I'd love to hear new Fall of Troy but this is making it very difficult. I wonder if they're even putting in any effort into funding it as well. I've only ever funded two other album releases (so far).

I know its a different genre of music but I contributed to Bowling for Soup's new album. Their vinyl package (if i remember correctly) was $25 for the Vinyl and $40 got you the new album Lunch. Drunk. Love. and the 2011 album Fishing for Woos both signed by the entire band. I think they even included a handwritten thank you letter or that might have been another band.

The Fall of Troy needs to give more details on what will be offered at these prices. Concerning their vinyl release I say give away some extras! Are the vinyl jackets going to be signed? Why is there need for so many variant options? At least provide pictures of what we can expect. Personally I don't see why there should be many different priced variants for one album upon initial release (thats the cash grab) and no reason whatsoever to overprice it but thats just me. They are grown men and are capable of working to partially fund the project themselves if they really want to.

Reading through it just seems like they really aren't into it and the lack of preparation and actually having mock ups and details is a testament to that. I'm all for helping a band out if they wanna be reasonable, but I just don't get the "hey if you guys want new shit it's gonna cost ya". Instead of "hey we've worked real hard on this new music and we'd like to offer fans a way to help get albums pressed as well as offer limited stuff for a reasonable price".

These dudes got noticed after throwing up purevolume.com demos, and now they're just like "fuck putting music out to make money...just give us some" (paraphrasing of course)

You would think the best course of action would be to go back to their roots. I would find it hard to believe that they don't know somebody with a dinky home studio that they could get some decent demos out with. Throw them on bandcamp. DIY some new merch. Take out a fucking loan or something.

There's no way I'm donating to this garbage. As a part-time artist with a full time job, that Facebook post was insulting to me.

It's not really doing it yourself if you resort to internet panhandling (kickstarter) to make a record, play a show, buy dog food, etc. If they need money to put out a record then maybe they should play some shows and sell some merch to raise the money to do it. That or get jobs and save up their money.