[PO] A Winged Victory For The Sullen // Atomos VII

Derek™

A-Winged-Victory-For-The-Sullen-Atomos-V

Ambient fans are far and few on VC, but there's no way I could let the new AWVFTS go by without mention. Atomos VII is a new EP that doubles as a makeshift teaser for the full-length Atomos, which will be released a few months from now. The EP contains the title track off Atomos, along with with an outtake / unreleased track from the self-titled debut, and a collaborative track with Ben Frost.

It's up for order at Erased Tapes for $28 PPD or so. Way too steep for three tracks, unfortunately. Kranky should be carrying it stateside, though, and it should be closer to $16 PPD. Much more manageable. I'll be bumping and revising this thread for the actual Atomos pre-order, which I'm significantly more excited about... but this should do a fine job in assisting with the wait.

Get.

No problem. I'm a huge Hammock fan myself. Surely you've heard of Stars of the Lid, yes? Winged Victory is just Adam working with a composer instead of Brian. Really some of the lushest ambient I've heard. If you're into hearing records on vinyl for the first time - and taking gambles - hit up Kranky for their self-titled debut. It's $16, free shipping. You won't be disappointed.

Yeah, people on What were really into the first album from these guys. I need to check it out. Been lovin' me some Hecker recently. Should follow suit. 

Hecker is great stuff through and through.  I've been exploring (and subsequently loving) his discography very thoroughly for the last year or so.  Winged Victory and Stars of the Lid are definitely a different breed of ambient.  I feel like they burn cleaner and sound more serene -- Hecker's material is dark and engulfs you.  You get lost in it in the sense that you'd lose your way in a massive cavern.  Winged Victory is more akin to zenning out and drifting out to sea.

Both are phenomenal ambient artists, and it makes me happy to see more VC users interested in them.  Especially familiar faces.

I've pitched this video around quite a bit on the forums, but here's one of the shorter tracks off the self-titled Winged Victory debut.  Gorgeous stuff.  The kind of music that's ideal for both drifting off and waking up.

Hecker is great stuff through and through.  I've been exploring (and subsequently loving) his discography very thoroughly for the last year or so.  Winged Victory and Stars of the Lid are definitely a different breed of ambient.  I feel like they burn cleaner and sound more serene -- Hecker's material is dark and engulfs you.  You get lost in it in the sense that you'd lose your way in a massive cavern.  Winged Victory is more akin to zenning out and drifting out to sea.

Well put, definitely agree. Very stoked for this.

If you're into hearing records on vinyl for the first time - and taking gambles - hit up Kranky for their self-titled debut. It's $16, free shipping. You won't be disappointed.

I did just that, thanks for the recommendation. I had completely forgotten that I ordered the SMM:Opiate record last fall and AWVFTS had a song on there, Ti Prego Memory Man. I loved it, but just never followed up on any of their other compositions.

I think I have almost exactly the same taste in music as Derek. Should I just blindly PO this record and see if my hypothesis is correct?

Well, to be fair, the Atomos VII EP is just a little teaser of the Atomos full-length.  If you're not an avid Star of the Lid / Winged Victory fanboy, I'd probably just wait and grab the actual album when it drops later.  But I would, however, pick up that self-titled from Kranky @ $16.00 PPD.  No listening beforehand is necessary.  I echo everyone else saying that it's one of the most beautiful ambient records in recent history.

I have a rather large order I need to place with Kranky, so I'm looking forward to this. Their full length is phenomenal.

Kranky hauls are the best.  Mind if I ask what you're picking up?  And do you know if they offer a discount for bulk orders?  Since they factor the shipping into the cost of their records, I once inquired about a possible price-break for ordering three albums together.  They got back to me, and said that the savings wouldn't be significant enough to honor a partial refund, and that the records were cheap enough as is.  Kind of a snippy response, haha.  But I guess they're just living up to their label name.

Kranky hauls are the best.  Mind if I ask what you're picking up?  And do you know if they offer a discount for bulk orders?  Since they factor the shipping into the cost of their records, I once inquired about a possible price-break for ordering three albums together.  They got back to me, and said that the savings wouldn't be significant enough to honor a partial refund, and that the records were cheap enough as is.  Kind of a snippy response, haha.  But I guess they're just living up to their label name.

I plan on getting the new Tara Jane O'Neil, pretty much every Pan American record they have, Fixed::Context by Labradford, Jessica Bailiff stuff, plus a bunch of Low stuff. It's probably not enough for them to give me a price break, but the prices aren't terrible as it is

I plan on getting the new Tara Jane O'Neil, pretty much every Pan American record they have, Fixed::Context by Labradford, Jessica Bailiff stuff, plus a bunch of Low stuff. It's probably not enough for them to give me a price break, but the prices aren't terrible as it is

Nice.  I'm pretty unfamiliar with a lot of Kranky artists... which I should probably fix, since I've thoroughly enjoyed every purchase I've made from their site.  And I agree that the prices are pretty stellar.  Having zero tax or shipping fees added onto what you place in your cart is a godsend.  When you consider media mail is $4.00, you're essentially looking at $12 LPs and $18 double-LPs across the board... which is ace in my books.  No fancy 180 gram, die-cut jacket, triple card-stock gatefold gimmicks to jack the prices up.

That Jessica Baliff LP is awesome…I can't get into the Tara Jane stuff for some reason….their 2 grouper LPs were decent as well! Don't for get about Liz Harris!

Already own most of her stuff. Liz is the best.

Tangentially, I have the Kranky pressing of the first Winged Victory... LP and it is noisey as hell. Very disapointing. The music is so quiet and subtle it really deserves a quiet pressing, and mine was not it. Side 2 especially is terrible. :(

My copy is fairly quiet. Side 2 defiantly has more noise but overall it wasn't anything that distracted. You may have a "worst" copy, or try weighting the needle less? Sometimes I have to adjust my weight in my needle for different albums to help with noise and overall play quality....sadly its common practice these days due to all the shitty pressings