NCAA March Madness 2014 (Official Thread)

Its that time of the year again.  The majors and high mid majors are wrapping up their regular season this weekend, while the others will be trying to punch their ticket this weekend.  

I hope I can set something up again with tellallyourfriends for brackets and a pool.  Stay tuned.

Will update as tickets are punched:

American

America East

A-10

ACC

Atlantic Sun - 

Big 10

Big 12

Big East

Big Sky

Big South -  Coastal Carolina

Big West

CAA

C-USA

Horizon

Ivy - Harvard

MAC

Mid-American

Mid-Eastern

Mountain West

MVC

Northeast

Ohio Valley - Eastern Kentucky

Pac 12

Patriot 

SEC

Southern

Southland

Southwestern

Summit 

Sunbelt

West Coast

WAC

I have never minded the bandwagon with College Sports honestly. With so many schools I always like seeing kids in Gator gear walking around even if they have no affiliation. Seeing a kid in NJ cheer for a distant college never bugged me the way a kid might pull for a distant pro team when they have a regional option. I mean, in NJ/NY kids are not going to be passionate about Rutgers or any school other than Syracuse (B-Ball only). 

Anyway, Florida has a team that just hit their stride. I'd love to see Walker get more minutes this week to see if he can be a bigger weapon in the tourney. Tonight is a big game for them but even if they lose a #1 seed is locked up provided they don't choke in the SEC Tourney. 

Three years of Elite 8s is nice but I'm ready for Billy D to run these boys into the FInal Four. If they make it I might have to find my way to a ticket like I did the first year they won the Tourney. 

Malone - how long before Shaka Smart gets sniped? VCU has had some excellent coaches.

honestly, not anytime soon.  teams keep offering him buckets of money and he keeps politely saying no thanks and signing extensions year after year.  i think we have him signed to 2028 making over 1.5 million a year (a lot more than previous vcu coaches).   of course that means nothing and he could leave in april, but i think he has learned from coach capel and coach grant that the grass isn't greener other places.  he carries a lot of weight at vcu, not only in the basketball program, but the entire city.  no other schools can compete with that and now he has turned vcu into a household name and a brand that won't just disappear for years.  improved conference, top 50 recruits, more nationally televised games, and most other perks you would be getting a big big school.  he also has the luxury of being at a school that is a basketball school with the athletics focused solely on basketball, not football.  (cough grant) and job security (cough capel)