Damaged records in the mail: what's your limit and what do you do about it?

That's ok, sorry if I seemed that way. I use bolding for different reasons haha. 

Nah it's all good. I misread it, I guess. Maybe if you'd bolded the part I said as well so they looked like each other I may have gotten it more quickly, but we're good. I've been a little hot-headed the last couple weeks, and I'm trying not to be, so maybe I'm just transferring that into what other people are saying too.

It depends on how much I payed for the record and how it was packed. If I'm buying a cheap domestic record, a little damage doesn't bother me as long as the record is OK. If I'm buying a rare record that I payed $50 or more for and it arrives damaged due to poor packing, I'm going to say something.

This is a good point that came to mind after my original post. For better or worse, I give a band or label I'm buying from direct a little more slack than something I'm buying off eBay or Discogs. In those cases, I figure if I'm paying a premium to a reseller, they should take some care in packing it to minimize damage. A bad corner ding on a $15 newly released LP doesn't bug me as much as on a $50 "rare" record.

Don't know if it's fair, it's just the way I think.

I don't know why I've never requested that the label/distro separate the record from the jacket to avoid seam splits. I guess that's what the "additional comments" section is for, eh?

I'm quite fortunate. I've never been delivered a broken or severely warped record. Even when records are packaged shittily. Dents and splits happen, but like someone else said, they don't stop me from listening to the music.

I'm not cutting labels any slack for seam splits or corner dings, they are charging lots of money and trying to create collector interest by doing loads of variants,limited editions, and so on. If they want that kind of money I want my stuff to arrive minty. Depending on the item I may let small dings go but otherwise if I get damaged goods I'm definitely looking for them to make it right.

I'm not cutting labels any slack for seam splits or corner dings, they are charging lots of money and trying to create collector interest by doing loads of variants,limited editions, and so on. If they want that kind of money I want my stuff to arrive minty. Depending on the item I may let small dings go but otherwise if I get damaged goods I'm definitely looking for them to make it right.

Agreed.  Labels are SO entitled these days.  That is why I also expect the album to arrive mint no matter what, regardless of the realities or inherent risks of the convenience of ordering records via mail.

You are the worst type of person.

I'm cool with others being picky.

I've been able to snag a good handful of items off the boards for good prices because of "seam splits" and corner dings.

If I'm physically in store - I'll go out of my way to look around for the best of something, but if I'm ordering online? luck of the draw.

This is pretty much how I feel

You are the worst type of person.

No, you are the worst kind of person, people like you are the reason quality continues to decrease with regards to records and everything else in the world. If you just accept that fuckups are acceptable and nothing is perfect then nothing will be. Yes shit happens, but people have to be responsible for it, especially if they are charging a premium. Strive for excellence and have some fucking standards, I guarantee that the people you admire do.

Should a cover arrive ridiculously banged up I may email the label to see if they happen to have any jackets left over, if they do I'll offer to pay shipping + the  small cost for the jacket if they could send it to me (Sub Pop were really great about this). The only time I'll be really bad about anything is if it's clearly the senders fault and they packed the record with no worries on it arriving soundly; in that case I may just email and return it and then try and find another outlet to snag the album. 

No, you are the worst kind of person, people like you are the reason quality continues to decrease with regards to records and everything else in the world. If you just accept that fuckups are acceptable and nothing is perfect then nothing will be. Yes shit happens, but people have to be responsible for it, especially if they are charging a premium. Strive for excellence and have some fucking standards, I guarantee that the people you admire do.

I got a Teenage Bottlerocket boxset from Interpunk that has a giant gash in the box, didn't email them. I've been waiting for Count Your Lucky Stars to replace a severely scratched record for over a month now and I'm still without. Am I losing my shit? Nope. Will I? Naw. Shit happens and we're all human. Humans fuck up, nothing is perfect.

I'm not saying lose your shit and threaten to bomb the label, but if I paid $130 or whatever you paid for that boxset and got it with a "giant gash" I would demand a new one, or a partial refund. Why are you (or any of us) just supposed to be cool with getting damaged goods at top prices? Like I said, yes shit happens and yes people aren't perfect, but people also have to make it right when problems arise. I cannot fathom being OK with less.

I don't involve my feelings at all, I think of it all as a business transaction, (except for boutique labels! I do 99% of the time give them the benefit of the doubt never really had a problem with them unless we consider Drag City a boutique because I've filed a PayPal claim with them before but luckily it fell through and the package did arrive, I thoroughly hate how Drag City and ITR try to press it's customers as the bad guys and punish flippers when they themselves play these little games of 50$ record sales by e-mailing them for exclusive shit or how they put out public notifications by claiming "ultra limited record!" and then going back on their word and calling it "unlimited now due to flippers!" these labels don't give a shit, if they did, they'd put a limit to how many purchases one could buy, other labels practice this method with ease, but those two labels in particular love to reap the benefits of Ty Segall swag and cause a ruckus in the Ty Segall collectors community)

Any label that puts out a record with poor playback on the wax itself gets a disgruntled customer e-mail.

If I buy a flipped item off eBay I expect thee best packaging effort ie: record sandwiched between two cardboard boxes or bubble surround. I always message them and ask for the best care possible and even ask them to write fragile on the box. 

If I buy from a large corporation like Go Hastings, or Best Buy or Urban Outfitters I'll complain on anything that ruins the integrity of the original print. It's simple to me really, they make a lot of money, they can afford top of the line shipping products, boutique record labels I buy from have gravitated toward the best measures possible in preventing damage!

I always keep my cool though I never send angry e-mails, and I always ask what can be done before hand, if I get no response within a solid 7 days, I'd go straight to PayPal

j9nE3lD.jpg