P.O. Now: Lydia - Illuminate (15th Anniversary)

Glad I switched my blue copy to a black copy before they shipped. I really hate that color on records..not that my opinion matters.

it does on the internet! everyone's does! ;)

i'm just glad the blue is also 180-gram. i bought it before i saw that the black was 180-gram, and i lost my shit for a second, until i noticed they both were

My blue copy sounds great. Just had a chance to listen to it. Honestly I didn't even mind the gaps between the songs. Didn't bother me at all.

I didn't even really notice them because I was doing stuff while it was playing but I'm sure at some point I'll just sit there and listen and they'll get to me if they're as bad as some people are saying. But until the band follows through on their own release, I'm thrilled.

I opened up my package last night, and it sure didn't feel like it was actually 180g. I wouldn't really care except that it adds to the general laziness surrounding this release.

I had also had a few brewskis last night so maybe I'm wrong. Oh well.

I'm definitely done with SRC at this point, though.

I opened up my package last night, and it sure didn't feel like it was actually 180g. I wouldn't really care except that it adds to the general laziness surrounding this release.

I had also had a few brewskis last night so maybe I'm wrong. Oh well.

I'm definitely done with SRC at this point, though.

I was stoned as fuck and playing FarCry 4 when I spun mine, so I didn't really notice the gaps. I was just happy to have it.

I'm right here!

Blue - 164g

Black - 166g

I'm new to collecting/listening to vinyl and I've never weighed any of my records. When an album says it's 180g, does it usually weigh 180g on the nut or is there a window that's acceptable when it comes to advertised weight?

I'm new to collecting/listening to vinyl and I've never weighed any of my records. When an album says it's 180g, does it usually weigh 180g on the nut or is there a window that's acceptable when it comes to advertised weight?

Usually when something is listed as 180g it is between 180g and 200g.  It's understandable when some fall short around 176g - 180g, but there's no way that Illuminate was even ever supposed to be 180.  It's not even close. 

I don't know, man. Those extra 2 grams really tie it together and complete the CD experience.

i know youre fucking around and being sarcastic, but the thing that irks me isnt that its 14g off or whatever, i couldnt care less about that. its that they are selling a product with false advertising. just another example of how hard they cut corners just to make an extra few bucks. its not about doing justice to the music or the record, more about them just jumping the gun and releasing a sub par product as fast as they can so they can be the "exclusive" retailer.  :rolleyes:

just lie after lie after lie..

i know youre fucking around and being sarcastic, but the thing that irks me isnt that its 14g off or whatever, i couldnt care less about that. its that they are selling a product with false advertising. just another example of how hard they cut corners just to make an extra few bucks. its not about doing justice to the music or the record, more about them just jumping the gun and releasing a sub par product as fast as they can so they can be the "exclusive" retailer.  :rolleyes:

just lie after lie after lie..

It sounds silly to make a fuss over 14g, but that discrepancy tells me a lot since I weigh all of my records.  It tells me that these were never supposed to be 180 Gram.  I made this spreadsheet a long time ago to see the average weight of a record and the average was around 160.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k5tJ54jWvxm3_rLiwr3CQYaQvY9FbqLKjCgZbxhEDh8/edit?usp=sharing

Usually when something is listed as 180g it is between 180g and 200g.  It's understandable when some fall short around 176g - 180g, but there's no way that Illuminate was even ever supposed to be 180.  It's not even close.

Thanks for the info. That is definitely disappointing, to say the least.

I had a useless exchange with the clowns at SRC this morning.

My refund request on the SRC website, where I (unfortunately) didn't bother to mention the gaps between songs:

Blatant false advertising here--this record isn't close to being 180 gram, as the product page still claims. I'm uninterested in store credit; I want a proper refund.

I've always defended your company (on forums, etc.) from what I thought were unfair criticisms, but this sort of shoddy, dishonest work is troubling.

...then a quick email exchange:

Hi,

What was your album weight? These are all pressed at 180 gram vinyl. This is also not how much they should way. Sometimes they are 5-10 grams less. Sometimes they are 5-10 grams more. What did your's weigh?

Thanks,
Danny

I didn't weigh the record, nor do I have easy access to a scale. I have, however, been collecting for a very long time, and this isn't anywhere close to 180g. On the Vinyl Collective forums, someone went through the trouble of weighing his records; his blue copy was 164 grams, and his black was 166. This sounds very accurate to me. The record feels like a standard pressing; nothing super light (like an Epitaph release, for example), but certainly not 180.

I understand there is variance in the exact weight, but I don't know how you can say with a straight face that these were "all pressed at 180 gram vinyl" if you actually handled them. It really isn't close at all. I understand that mixups happen, and I wouldn't be requesting a refund if the company had simply owned up to it in advance.

Sorry but this is what the plants press for 180 gram vinyl. You are welcome to email Erika records where they make these and ask them but this is "180 gram vinyl". They will tell you the same thing i did. Sometimes its more and sometimes its less than 180 gram.

Thanks
Danny

From Danny about the gap between songs:

These are EXACTLY how they should be. I am sorry your not happy with the items but they are no sourced from a CD. when audio is put on a record each song needs to have a gate so that you can find the track and that the turntable operates as it should. If this was a CD reissue then you would be correct in saying its an issue. Also there is a gap in the CD or it would not be another track. It just is very very small from track to track. This is a vinyl record and this is exactly how it should be. It sounds flawless. I too love this album and would not create a product my company was not proud of.

• tokimedo changed the title to P.O. Now: Lydia - Illuminate (15th Anniversary)