I've never eaten at vegetarian paradise but the store right next to it, Red Bamboo, is super great!

VP is sick.  I love their Cashew "Chicken".  I miss VP2Go which was where Red Bamboo is now.  

Also:

-Heaven Street all the way!  Love that place.

-Near Other Music is Dojo Restaurant, which I guess is super trendy, but I highly recommend their Hijiki Tofu (fried tofu w / seaweed and a thick bbq/soy sauce, DO IT.)

Also, Forbidden Planet (comics), Flight Club (sneakers), and Strand (books) are all like, 100 feet away from one another.  All are worth a look.

Greenpoint/Williamsburg:

While you're hitting the other stores mentioned here---don't forget Record Grouch (Manhattan Ave.) which is located near Permanent (Franklin St.) and The Thing. You could also go to Earwax (N. 9th) in Williamsburg but I never find anything there.

After record shopping you should get some pizza at Paulie G's (Greenpoint Ave.). Then hit up Lake Street (Manhattan Ave.) for some drinks. If it's Mexican that you're craving---head to the south side of Williamsburg for tasty treats at La Superior (Berry St.). Do yourself a favor and order a Paloma to wash everything down.

While you're in the neighborhood and hankering to catch a show in a sweaty deathtrap: Shea Stadium or Death by Audio should do the trick. Sorry that you missed out on 285 Kent.

Europa (Meserole) also has shows but they tend to lean toward old punk and metal but I dee see Shellac, Jay Reatard, Fucked Up and Kurt Vile play there---but not at the same time.

There are two Academy Records located in Manhattan. I prefer the East Village spot (E. 12th). You can also head over to Kim's (1st Ave.)---especially for new and hard to find/limited releases. If you're in the mood for Korean then walk across the street and eat at Dok Suni. After you're finished, head back across the street for drinks at International Bar. If you're feeling indie and hip you could head to Hi-Fi (Ave. A) and keep drinking. If you're feeling punk and nostalgic for CBGB, then head to Manitoba's (Ave. A and drink cheap beer (quality, not price---it's NYC).

That will give you some things to do while you're visiting/traveling.

Sounds like the new owner/tenant of where Academy was tossing out a ton of the records left behind. Also sounds like the people disposing of the records didn't want to deal with a swarm of liability with people climbing in the dumpster. While it may not have been feasible to me it would have made sense to have a bulk blowout or allow people to come in and sign a waiver to allow people to take stacks of records for free.

• 2 months later...

hey guys. me and my girl are heading to NYC from june 4 (wed) to june 9 (monday) for governors ball. we're staying in astoria and want to check out record stores, book stores, breweries (or good beer bars), vegan food, and the touristy stuff. (my first time in NYC for longer than 48 hours and my girlfriend's first time ever). we got tickets to seth meyers for thursday (5) too. 

I'm definitely taking some of the recommendations from the first page into account (thanks driveby!). If anyone has any more specific recommendations, that'd be awesome too. Wouldn't mind seeing some comedy at the UCB or something. If there's anything we must-see (even if it's stereotypical tourist stuff) that's relatively cheap, i wanna know. 

hey guys. me and my girl are heading to NYC from june 4 (wed) to june 9 (monday) for governors ball. we're staying in astoria and want to check out record stores, book stores, breweries (or good beer bars), vegan food, and the touristy stuff. (my first time in NYC for longer than 48 hours and my girlfriend's first time ever). we got tickets to seth meyers for thursday (5) too.

I'm definitely taking some of the recommendations from the first page into account (thanks driveby!). If anyone has any more specific recommendations, that'd be awesome too. Wouldn't mind seeing some comedy at the UCB or something. If there's anything we must-see (even if it's stereotypical tourist stuff) that's relatively cheap, i wanna know.

Hey dude. I don't have any recommendations for the Astoria area unfortunately. For bookstores I will recommend Strand over near Union Square in Manhattan (huge bookstore.) Nearby in that area is Union Square itself, and Heartland Brewery is right on the square as well. Not too far from these is are veg places Vegetarian Paradise, Red Bamboo, Quantum Leap, and Curly's (I'd recommend VP.) Since you're also going to see Seth Myers youre in Rockefeller Center and there's also a Heartland Brewery over there (although check their menu I don't remember how veg friendly they are.) You're also not too far from Central Park and Times Square.

As for vegan treats, there's Lulus Ice Cream and Babycakes Cupcakes. So much more as we'll but that's off the top of my head. It should be fun!

Heyyo I live in Astoria!

No good record stores or anything in the area, but you can take the N or Q train directly to Other Music and a bunch of others in soho area, or head out to Brooklyn to check out Rough Trade and Williamsburg. Lots of options!

Breweries... Brooklyn Brewery is a good time if you head to Williamsburg. And you can check out Brooklyn Bowl while you're there. It's attached. Have some brews and bowl some balls. There's also a brewery in Astoria called Singlecut. Dunno if they do tours but there's a restaurant, haven't been yet, though.

Touristy stuff will be mainly in manhattan, but depending in where in Astoria you are you can just grab the n q or r and be in the city in 30-40 minutes.

Make sure to check out the strand in Manhattan for books!

I already let Chris know, and it's a long ways away, but I'll be in NYC on the weekend of Sept 7.... heading to the Mineral show at teh Bowery Ballroom. If anyone wants to get together for drinks or eats it would be awesome!

I'm undecided on the show but my office is pretty close to the Bowery if you want to meet Friday afternoon for a walking lunch and stop at Generation. Grab a moumons falafel and walk over there.

Heyyo I live in Astoria!

No good record stores or anything in the area, but you can take the N or Q train directly to Other Music and a bunch of others in soho area, or head out to Brooklyn to check out Rough Trade and Williamsburg. Lots of options!

Breweries... Brooklyn Brewery is a good time if you head to Williamsburg. And you can check out Brooklyn Bowl while you're there. It's attached. Have some brews and bowl some balls. There's also a brewery in Astoria called Singlecut. Dunno if they do tours but there's a restaurant, haven't been yet, though.

Touristy stuff will be mainly in manhattan, but depending in where in Astoria you are you can just grab the n q or r and be in the city in 30-40 minutes.

Make sure to check out the strand in Manhattan for books!

awesome. i'm actually going to the washed out show at brooklyn bowl on 6/6.  i didn't think there'd be much to see in astoria, but it seems like a pretty central location between downtown, randall island, and the airport. 

really wish i knew this thread existed a week ago. visited friday-sunday. however, this will be mighty useful if i'm actually able to make the move to manhattan that i'm intent on.

awesome. i'm actually going to the washed out show at brooklyn bowl on 6/6.  i didn't think there'd be much to see in astoria, but it seems like a pretty central location between downtown, randall island, and the airport. 

Are you going to be around 30th avenue area?  There are tons of restaurants/little shops etc that are nice to walk around and visit in free time or for brunch if you are in the 30-31 ave area in Astoria.  But yeah, your main draws will be in Manhattan and Brooklyn since you're being touristy ;)