PO Soon: Antemasque Self-Titled S/T (Mars Volta + Flea) October 2014

I am apprehensive about this album. What I have heard comes across like two old guys rehashing memories of punk. I love the mars volta and I love Omar's solo work even more. When the LP comes out I will probably check it out.

There is so much Omar has done that has never/might never come out. I read Cedric talking about how they have had a camera recording them since the first band practices of the VOLTA. I can not even imagine how much footage Omar has archived. Omar has said he not only has shelved albums but also shelved movies.

There is still no word on the Zavalaz lp either is there?

Personally I wish Omar would repress Calibration. They only pressed 750 and It is the ONLY Omar record I do not own. It pops up on ebay for 60$+ and I can not justify that purchase.

Omar has so many shelved projects it's ridiculous. Movies, albums, and apparently every live show since about early 2008 or late 2007ish has for sure been recorded by their sound man Matt. They could do so much with all that.

This album grew on me. Wasn't too crazy at first but after more listens I really like it. Especially seeing them live! God damn their live energy is amazing. Way better than what Volta had at the end.

Last I heard about Zavalaz was that they had it recorded and then for some reason decided to re record everything again. I guess to make it better or something. I think it might be finished but I don't think Cedric has the funds to release it.

And calibration is one of Omar's best. That and cizaña are the toughest to find these days. And when Calibration was first released it was announced that a remix album would soon follow (clearly never happened) so much shit we'll probably never see

God damn their live energy is amazing. Way better than what Volta had at the end.

Last I heard about Zavalaz was that they had it recorded and then for some reason decided to re record everything again.

And calibration is one of Omar's best. That and cizaña are the toughest to find these days. And when Calibration was first released it was announced that a remix album would soon follow (clearly never happened) so much shit we'll probably never see

I completely got bored with Volta at the end. Some of the performances during the nocturniquet tour are downright embarrassing. Volta fans know about the tragedy (Omars mothers death) and the beefs (between Cedric and Omar) that contributed to the bands demise, but it went too far. Omar would just stand on stage and Cedric had been almost completely tamed. I am so glad to see they are finding themselves again!

I remember talk of the remix album. The Calibration era is so interesting because it is part of the Bedlam era which has some of the best of the Volta. I think Omar is just going to get bored one day and release a ton of shit. I mean have you noticed how much he slowed down with the solo records? He hasnt put out a solo record this year, but he hasnt really released an LP on vinyl since 2012. Towards the end of those solo records he essentially abandoned the guitar in favor of strange synths. I think he will crave a guitar oriented solo record eventually and put a ton of shit out.

I completely got bored with Volta at the end. Some of the performances during the nocturniquet tour are downright embarrassing. Volta fans know about the tragedy (Omars mothers death) and the beefs (between Cedric and Omar) that contributed to the bands demise, but it went too far. Omar would just stand on stage and Cedric had been almost completely tamed. I am so glad to see they are finding themselves again!

I remember talk of the remix album. The Calibration era is so interesting because it is part of the Bedlam era which has some of the best of the Volta. I think Omar is just going to get bored one day and release a ton of shit. I mean have you noticed how much he slowed down with the solo records? He hasnt put out a solo record this year, but he hasnt really released an LP on vinyl since 2012. Towards the end of those solo records he essentially abandoned the guitar in favor of strange synths. I think he will crave a guitar oriented solo record eventually and put a ton of shit out.

Yeah heir last performances were pretty lame. Wasn't the Volta I loved. But there was a lot going on between them that it's understandable they just weren't into it. But looks like Omar and Cedric are good again. Can't wait to see what else comes out from them.

Yeah I'm bummed the latest Omar stuff never got a vinyl release. There just wasn't finding for it and probably wouldn't have sold too well. It must be pricey to press vinyl. I know from reliable sources that Omar had quite a handful of finished albums, like 8, on the verge of getting released. With finished mastering and art and all that jazz, but who knows what the hell happened that Omar just decided not to anymore. Probably got distracted with something else and moved on. He's a madman.

Supposedly proper Volta reissues of Deloused, Frances, and Amp are/were in the works. But that's just another thing on Omar's plate that will probably get pushed back somewhere

I think the label mix ups before Antemasque coming out had a lot to do with the lack of recent ORL vinyl releases.  I believe they started Nadie to get away from the now corporate controlled RLP moniker (which had all the monies to release all those records the past 7 years).  

That and the fact that O + C are friends again and reigniting their love of playing live together means he's distracted again.  I read that Bosnian Rainbows LP2 would come out after the Antemasque LP1 run, then Antemasque LP2 would come after BRLP2, but by then we all know Omar will find something else to distract us with, like....

Omar said the other day on Triple J that they haven't given up hope on resuscitating the Volta for more releases down the line.  This would also likely mean that Jon Theodore would return on drums considering Cedric has professed his regret for ever firing him and his admiration of Jon's contribution to the true Volta sound.  I don't care about legacy, they ruined that with Noctourniquet...I want this.

I think the label mix ups before Antemasque coming out had a lot to do with the lack of recent ORL vinyl releases.  I believe they started Nadie to get away from the now corporate controlled RLP moniker (which had all the monies to release all those records the past 7 years).  

That and the fact that O + C are friends again and reigniting their love of playing live together means he's distracted again.  I read that Bosnian Rainbows LP2 would come out after the Antemasque LP1 run, then Antemasque LP2 would come after BRLP2, but by then we all know Omar will find something else to distract us with, like....

Omar said the other day on Triple J that they haven't given up hope on resuscitating the Volta for more releases down the line.  This would also likely mean that Jon Theodore would return on drums considering Cedric has professed his regret for ever firing him and his admiration of Jon's contribution to the true Volta sound.  I don't care about legacy, they ruined that with Noctourniquet...I want this.

You're not alone.  I want it bad.  It will be bittersweet if it happens without Ikey though.

I don't care about legacy, they ruined that with Noctourniquet...I want this.

dude WHAT? noctourniquet is awesome. far better than octahedron. if you get past your own reservations for it you will see its an amazing album with great sonic complexity.

dude WHAT? noctourniquet is awesome. far better than octahedron. if you get past your own reservations for it you will see its an amazing album with great sonic complexity.

The only Volta I could never get into was Octahedron. Tried many times, even bought the LP to convince myself it was good, but to no avail. Noctourniquet, on the other hand, I hated, but eventually really liked the electronic/pop sound of it. That's just me though.

Bonus track on Japanese version is "Hung in Effigy"

And I personally enjoy every Volta album. They're all amazon in their own right. Octahedron was kind of boring at first, but I really dig it now. Sure it wasn't the awesome crazy Volta we were used to, but still some damn good songs

I really don't get the Octahedron hate.  I love that record. No, it's not Frances, but it's a really solid, concentrated record.  Those vocal melodies are so good.

It is because Tremulant to Bedlam is the classic era. People were expecting something big after Bedlam and they dropped the ball. This has to do in part with the MAJOR band changes between the classic era of bedlam to Octahedron. They didnt even ask Ikey to come back into the studio. No Ikey/ weak volta. It is literally that simple. You know the difference between at the drive in and mars volta: Ikey. Octahedron wasnt truly memorable. The funny thing is that some of Omars albums from that exact time are far more interesting. Take  un escorpion perfumado. It came out a little after Octaheadron but is my favorite Omar solo record and it is more energetic,memorable and fun than Octahedron. It also has to do with the conflicts in the band were really in high gear by Octahedron (cedric omar) and that took a tole on the music. I think another thing to consider is that the record did not have much new to offer. In that respect Noctourniquet is more intersting than Octahedron, because at least it was fresher. They kept saying they wanted Octahedron to be their acoustic record. Fine. But they had already explored the acoustic avenue multiple times throughout their Volta career. Listening to a whole album of memories of what they wanted to do years ago came across to me like a snooze fest. But at the end of the day I LOVE volta and listen to all their records, albeit some less frequently than others.

And I personally enjoy every Volta album. They're all amazon in their own right. Octahedron was kind of boring at first, but I really dig it now. Sure it wasn't the awesome crazy Volta we were used to, but still some damn good songs

Agreed

Bonus track on Japanese version is "Hung in Effigy"

read as "they're all on amazon..."  you tricked me

All I want to know is

WHERE DA FRANCES REPRESS AT

Don't cheap out. Frances should NOT be repressed. The original 3 disc version has so many good qualities that a repress wouldn't give justice to. One being the etching on the F side and another being the endless loop on every side of the vinyl. You can find original pressings for under $200 still and it is well worth it if you enjoy the best album ever created on an amazingly put together vinyl. I think every album BUT Frances should be repressed. But Frances should remain sacred.

The topic should be brought back to Antemasque though. Has anyone heard about the vinyl? I pre-ordered it, but if there are any limited colored versions, that wouldn't surprise me.

Don't cheap out. Frances should NOT be repressed. The original 3 disc version has so many good qualities that a repress wouldn't give justice to. One being the etching on the F side and another being the endless loop on every side of the vinyl. You can find original pressings for under $200 still and it is well worth it if you enjoy the best album ever created on an amazingly put together vinyl. I think every album BUT Frances should be repressed. But Frances should remain sacred.

The topic should be brought back to Antemasque though. Has anyone heard about the vinyl? I pre-ordered it, but if there are any limited colored versions, that wouldn't surprise me.

AAAAAAAAAAhahahahahahahahahahahahaha!