BEST/WORST PURCHASES FROM RSD '14

Only records I bought on Saturday were the 311 ones, and those are my two favorite 311 albums so that's a no-brainer. However, I was disappointed that they were double albums in single pocket sleeves when "Music" and "Soundsystem" were both gatefolds at the same MSRP (added to the fact that neither album /needed/ to be spread across two discs).

Also, I'm glad I decided against the Outkast record. Give me the full album or give me nothing.

This Non-Violent Femmes is pretty fucking underwhelming. It's a bunch of hazy dream pop shoegaze bullshit. I get that it's all covers and doesn't have to align with the original, but come on. It sounds like it could have all been done by the same band. I love Violent Femmes and this kinda sucked.

The Tears For Fears cover of AnCo is better than this whole compilation

I personally loved the DCFC live album. Really great quality. Agree on cover art being kinda meh.. DMB box is alright, not the most solid setlist in the Live Trax series but what can you do. Fire dancer etching is pretty cool. Cake boxset is, like everyone else said- amazing. Very disappointed in Circa/Sunny Day.

This Non-Violent Femmes is pretty fucking underwhelming. It's a bunch of hazy dream pop shoegaze bullshit. I get that it's all covers and doesn't have to align with the original, but come on. It sounds like it could have all been done by the same band. I love Violent Femmes and this kinda sucked.

funny you say this, because I am not a big violent femmes fan but I found the compilation fantastic exactly for the reasons you did not. I guess if you're looking for rocking straight forward covers of violent femmes with girl vocals, I would avoid this compilation. if you're into hazy dream pop shoegaze bullshit it is a phenomenal compilation IMHO and definitely worth spinning.

you're aware that it's not a violent femmes covers album, right?

Just not my cup of tea. Never have been into The Cure. It was just the only side by side I could find. 

I'd be down to trade a copy of the Poison Idea/Pantera split ("The Badge") for Dino Jr./the Cure if you want. I don't like Dino Jr. but "Just Like Heaven" is my #1 guilty pleasure 80s song. 

Judge me all you want. 

Wanted lots of exclusives but only got one (because the people arranging RSD are btches and decided to not let any record store in Europe order from America). The only exclusive I got was 7 Skies H3 which is amazing.

Though the best one I bought that day was The Paper Chase - Now You Are On Of Us. Randomly looked through some records and found that one in a store I never thought I'd find it. Amazing

I really like the LCD Soundsystem set I got. Honorable mention would actually be the free Divided 7". It had a couple really good songs on it.

Meh would be the Tame Impala one. It just seemed like they decided to not sing or anything for about half the songs.

Worst would be The Pogues and Joe Strummer. This thing was definitely pressed from mp3's. The audio goes staticy a bunch and there are even a few parts where it skips, though the vinyl has nothing on it.

Best: the REM set and Disclosure 12"

Worst: Neko case 7". It was just OK. I also bought the Pink Panther soundtrack on impulse, but obviously I overpaid for something I could probably track down an OP for a buck or 2. 

Now I feel dumb. I just looked on eBay and found an OP for 8 bucks with shipping... yup. Maybe I won't buy these movie scores anymore without research beforehand.

BEST

bis - data Panik Etcetera  - I was happy to finally have these songs on vinyl.
The Creation  - The Singles Boxset - I already have most of these songs on vinyl but it's nice to have reproductions of the original 7" single sleeves.

WORST

Oasis - Supersonic - I really don't know why I bought this. I didn't even need it.

Best  - The Pogues with Joe Strummer - Fantastic album. The sound quality is one of the best I've heard on a live album. Great set list with a mix of Pogues and Clash songs. Really happy I was able to score one of these (got it from the Reckless leftovers online)

Worst - Cults live. Not sure why I picked it up in the first place as I'm not a huge Cults fan other than a couple songs. Was an impulse pickup while in store on RSD.

Best: Dessa - Castor the Twin, really ended up enjoying this one quite a bit. Have always had an appreciation of the people from Doomtree, but this album really knocked it out of the park. Also was thrilled to have the Chvrches - Recover EP, the CID remix is my favorite and have wanted it on wax for a while.

Oh and also The Space Project LP, that was a real treat hearing it for the first time.

Worst: I can't really say, I have listened to every single RSD pickup at least twice now and I intently enjoy each one. The worst part was my ability to procure College or Farcry 3 at any of my local shops.