World Cup 2014 Discussion

As an England supporter, this has been a tough World Cup for sure.

If anyone cares, it was announced that Lampard will captain the team against Costa Rica. Good chance to watch an all time great possibly play his last game for the national team.

Side note: that Ronaldo cross was brilliant. Was so happy they came back.

The only teams you can be doing better than are those on zero!

Thats_the_joke.jpg

National pride is certainly a thing and all but I don't quite understand how anyone can be proud of the way the Portugese play... ZERO effort when they are up a goal and only started to press once the USA scored. Plus Ronaldo and his I'm too good for sportsmanship after the match was over.. going immediately to the locker room to quaff his hair some more..

Actually he probably went in there to get his leg attended to. Dude has been injured since mid April, still the best Portuguese player on the pitch. National pride? The USA scored their second and immediately everyone was injured and cramping. Don't get me started, it's all part of the game, but don't look at me/us through your rose colored glasses

Bringing up national pride when it comes to USA soccer always baffles me.

In this country, we disrespect the game, call it boring, and act like it doesn't exist 3.9 out of every 4 years. Then the World Cup comes and everyone all the sudden is bleeding soccer pride.

As someone who follows the sport religiously, big EPL supporter, its frustrating. It's one of the reasons I can't support the USA.

Thats_the_joke.jpg

Actually he probably went in there to get his leg attended to. Dude has been injured since mid April, still the best Portuguese player on the pitch. National pride? The USA scored their second and immediately everyone was injured and cramping. Don't get me started, it's all part of the game, but don't look at me/us through your rose colored glasses

In all honesty I'm not rooting for the US that much... I'm in the German corner personally and I've got Ghana in the VC Pool so... Don't assume! Just my opinion watching the match. Portugal has looked, to me, uninterested since they got behind a couple goals to Germany. My only bias in that respect is that I have a really hard time supporting teams that are so technical and slow-developing (like Spain).

As someone who wants Germany and Ghana to go through, I was rooting for Portugal. But hey it was a great game and will make for wicked end matches.

This group and England's group truly were the group's of death.

This. This.

A lot of casual fans probably didn't realize that Uruguay was such a strong team. I've called England/Italy group the GoD since Day 1. 

I'll take it. We have a point more than England and Spain combined. Not bad for missing 3 of our back 5 (Coentrão, Pepe, Patricio).

I have a Portuguese friend who's arguing like this...seems to be a Portuguese thingy...

And we have one more star above our badge than yours  ;)

...and this is basically how I make him shut up!

Saw this on twitter. "England's world cup in 6 seconds" So true hahaha

Fantastic! :D

Lastly, cudos to the US! They would have deserved to win! As much as I would love to see Ghana & USA come through the group stage (which is almost impossible), I hope that Germany & USA draw the last game in case Portugal wins against Ghana...would love to see some more Ronaldo tears!

In this country, we disrespect the game, call it boring, and act like it doesn't exist 3.9 out of every 4 years. Then the World Cup comes and everyone all the sudden is bleeding soccer pride.

Welcome to Anytown USA. You can say that about almost any sport here. A sports team doesn't do anything for 20 years, no one comes to games. They win a championship the and 2 million people come to the parade and ticket prices triple next year. Its just how it works.

As someone who follows the sport religiously, big EPL supporter, its frustrating. It's one of the reasons I can't support the USA.

This baffles me a bit. You don't support the US National team because you don't like how the general population here feels about soccer? Seems like a weird reason to "punish" the people who actually play it.

I'm pumped for some Group A action this afternoon. What game are you guys watching? Probably Croatia vs. Mexico over here. Rooting for Croatia, though I don't really have anything against the Mexican team.