I don't know if this topic has ever been brought up in this form, (although I assume it has sometime or another) but it's really been bothering me. I have reached the point of having many records, about 60+. I bought an expedit to line all of them up vertically as you should. However, I've been noticing on my record album covers that they have been starting to get little crease bends along the spine of the album. I know that this is a very small issue, but I am kind of OCD on things like this. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to prevent this or am I just trying to fight a lost cause here? I feel like there has to be a way to protect the album covers from damage.

I know I am really careful with Double LP's (such as AFI's Sing the Sorrow) because if you open and close the gatefold too much it can cause a crease in the spine (which in STS case is black). Also, if you are talking about cracks and hairline marks in the art of the jacket, I guess you could remove the LP from the jacket and place behind the jacket but with both the LP and Jacket inside an outer poly cover. To avoid wear and tear. 

We've all got to start somewhere. Unless you inherited a collection or maxed out your Visa to start your vinyl addiction, I imagine there was a point in time - for everyone - where 60 albums seemed like a ton of vinyl to own.

When I first began purchasing records, I bought them brand new. One at a time every couple of weeks. Would've never guessed that I'd eventually own a collection encompassing 60 different pieces, at the time.

2496084-9316850779-68150.gif

This gif legitimately made me laugh.

We've all got to start somewhere. Unless you inherited a collection or maxed out your Visa to start your vinyl addiction, I imagine there was a point in time - for everyone - where 60 albums seemed like a ton of vinyl to own.

When I first began purchasing records, I bought them brand new. One at a time every couple of weeks. Would've never guessed that I'd eventually own a collection encompassing 60 different pieces, at the time.

^This

While I've only been collecting for a little under a year, I only have 2 used records. The rest I've purchased from retailers such as Hot Topic & Merchnow. Records are not cheap beginning at 20$ or higher plus shipping in some cases. I unfortunately do not have money falling out of my pocket. Hopefully I will someday have a massive collection like so many of you seem to have some day haha.

Hi Ron, did you ever confirm if you are or aren't using polybags to protect the jackets? Although some damage is unavoidable as stated above, this will help you to ensure the least amount of damage over long periods of time.

Thanks for everyones response, I will start using the polybags on all my records to see if it helps them some more!

Thanks for everyones response, I will start using the polybags on all my records to see if it helps them some more!

Polybags for life.  I've used them since day 1 of accumulating vinyl, and would suggest it to anyone who's remotely interested in keeping their jackets looking as close to mint as possible.  My advice is to not skimp on the cheap bags, too.  Pay a bit extra to avoid the super flimsy, cloudy ones.

Records are easier and cheaper to collect when you buy second hand. Doesn't always happen, especially if you like modern music. But, I bet if you did a Craig's List search for 'records' or 'LPs' in your area, some dad or grandpa might be selling his stuff for a few bucks each. Think of all the amazing records you could get for cheap. And, if you don't like them, you can sell them for more money (if they're desirable) and go by your records.  

In some cases, when you buy new record and it's "sealed", you can cut only the side to take the record out while leaving the cover on the rest of the album.  This, along with a polybag will go a long way.

Edit: Also, keep collecting.  You'll be surprised how quickly you can build a collection, but like others said, don't sweat the small stuff