WHIRR - Sway LP (out on 9/23) and Pipe Dreams Redux

Shoot so I'd say the "mail order" variant is officially dead for now? I mean it really would only be for those who can't afford the RC, like myself! Oh well, here is to hoping I can score a RC copy at some point in the future of Redux and Sway...(at ok price)

Looks like the focus will be on RC and first pressing colors for now...

Hey if anyone isn't into their Xiu Xiu cassette RC thingy I'll gladly purchase for costs that would be awesome. Pretty sure I'll be posting about this again around the release date. 

Cool. Just ordered the Pipe Dreams Redux.

I'm a bit out of the loop. Can anyone tell me what was wrong with the original Pipe Dreams release? Did the band not realize the mistakes until after or something?

Apparently they had issues with the label that put it out. It would be nice to know their explanation though.

Finally got my retail copy in the mail. Unfortunately, the comments about the pressing (lack of) quality are real, it just crackles everywhere. An irony that the best album of the year was turned into wax with one of the worst pressings I have in my collection.

Hopefully Ryan will repress it (180g perhaps?) with another factory. The album deserves it.

Finally got my retail copy in the mail. Unfortunately, the comments about the pressing (lack of) quality are real, it just crackles everywhere. An irony that the best album of the year was turned into wax with one of the worst pressings I have in my collection.

Hopefully Ryan will repress it (180g perhaps?) with another factory. The album deserves it.

Exactly my thoughts! A second retail copy is on it's way but I think i end up with a cd.It's a shame.

received my copy of pipe dreams redux today. i'm really disappointed with the flimsy jacket and poor artwork all around. listening to the MP3s of the new mix right now. will comment on the rest later.

I admit it is kind of cheap how they re-used the labels from sway and the back cover being strikingly similar to Distressor but it feels more special that this is the record the band wanted us to hear in the first place.

I admit it is kind of cheap how they re-used the labels from sway and the back cover being strikingly similar to Distressor but it feels more special that this is the record the band wanted us to hear in the first place.

i appreciate this part. but the fact that it was advertised as "the way the band wanted you to hear and see it" and then showed up looking very similar to at least two of their other whirr releases but with a flimsier package is just a little disappointing. i prefer the OG artwork (i think that jacket is slightly thicker as well).

the new mix/track listing is great though. no complaints about that.

I know it may sound like a stretch, but I dig the simplicity and maybe "cheapness" (for lack of better word) of the redux. It's almost like a Chung King in reverse. The original release was overdone artwork and sound not what the band wanted, so they went back and re-did it their way but backwards with the art.

Am I making any sense? Probably not. But in my head, it makes sense.

:D

Not really seeing a valid reason to complain about the packaging there. It came out right after Distressor so it looks like Distressor and that's their logo so it's on the label. Some labels and bands use the same label for all their releases that's nothing new (Up, Sub pop, etc.)

i'm not sure how that makes any sense. if a record comes out right after a previous release, it looks the same? i'm not losing sleep over this, i just don't see how its an improvement over the original pressing.

i'm not sure how that makes any sense. if a record comes out right after a previous release, it looks the same? i'm not losing sleep over this, i just don't see how its an improvement over the original pressing.

Plenty of bands have similar layouts for records that come out after previous records I guess you just haven't seen it before. Some examples being Japandroids, Girls, Literature, Pity Sex, etc. The Casket Girls on Graveface did it with their first LP and EP too.

Looking at the Teepee release, the cover photo has this weird half border that looks terrible. I dunno, maybe Whirr liked everything at the time of the original release.