PO: HAVE A NICE LIFE - DEATHCONSCIOUSNESS RE-ISSUE

I guess we can keep circlejerking about our shopping cart checkout skills, or we can take a critical look at the actual value of the vinyl in regards to its audio fidelity.

i think for a lot of people the value of owning a record in physical form is not necessarily defined by its aftermarket rarity or worth. or the actual quality of the vinyl sound. again influencing factor, but.....

like you said the outlook is not good, and i think an argument could probably be made in favor of buying the record despite sound quality, especially considering the history and conception of the album. who really cares though, buy it or don't buy it, nothing comes from arguing your own valuing system, but i think his point was that with an opinion like that you are almost sure to bet let down by the album, especially THIS album of all albums, and that has nothing to do with how "cool" it is to own in physically. 

it won't be as "cool" as owning a first press, and it won't be as cool as seeing them live, which sounded better than this record on anybody's turn table. i saw their first show at the stone and then a second one with alcest, both destroyed. i showed up like 4 hours early and waited there alone with two friends for the first one because i was so afraid it would sell out like the Stone is apt to do. sorry to brag, and i know comparing a live show and a record is ridiculous, but i'm just pointing out that I enjoy the music outside of the rarity of the album. i doubt this press will sound much different, and i still bought it just for the alternate cover art and booklet, so yeah.....

difference of opinions i guess, i respect yours and hope if you do get the album you are stoked on it. i guess from my perspective it seems silly to quibble with myself for $35 given how much I enjoy the record, but then again i was hoping to get some of those arrowheads, so i can be the coolest kid of all.

i typed too much to answer this, but i'd agree, you are likely to be disappointed expecting true greatness from any remasters these days really especially this one, and that has nothing to do with shopping cart circle jerks

This release is the vinyl equivalent of this Creative Labs ad campaign from years ago

creative.jpg

In this case, this pressing of Deathconsciousness being the X-Fi enabled MP3 bar to the far right. It offers no benefits being on vinyl other than the immediate consumerist pleasure of the physicality of the release.

yeah but that would imply that vinyl dudes actually care about sound quality of something that's already of a shit quality and easily sourced on the internet...

...what're you gonna tell me next? Vinyl collector's value sound quality?

Yeah, there are vinyl collector's who value sound quality. Not that irritating I guess. Also this pressing doesn't necessarily have to be junk just because it is not mastered dmm all analog and pressed at Optimal Media. The vinyl format can add a certain amount of warmth and depth to music, regardless of those thing. Maybe I'm wrong and this pressing sounds like crap, but I won't judge before my ears do.

If I'm paying a premium for a supposedly high fidelity format I would like the master to be optimal, and when you're dealing with 128kbps source files, the outlook is not good.

What's the goal of owning Deathconsciousness on vinyl then? The idea of owning the record itself? Maybe that was impressive when it was still a rarity in 2008, but in a 2014 post-TUW world, Deathconsciousness is old hat.

To a certain amount: yes. I've been wanting to own this piece for four years and missed out on the second pressing. This record is very important to me. And regarding the master being 'optimal', the guys at flenser genuinely informed us about the mastering situation. Obviously this is the best they can present us. And I'm willing to give it a shot whithout calling it names five minutes after ordering it.

not selling for cost the day that a record PO goes up?

enjoy your 50 downvotes from the rabid VC hordes

Sorry :(

I mostly just wanted to see if I could use the 2 extra copies to trade for some HANL/Giles Corey releases I've been searching for forever since I got into Dan's projects late (fall 2011) and I've never been able to get a hold of them any other way (I missed one of the Giles Corey CDs for $29.99 by a minute after getting the alert one time but that's the closest I've come).  Was a legit mistake that I ended up with 2 more copies of DC than needed though.  Edited my post to get rid of "offers,", since I'll admit that's scummy, I'm just broke and emptied out my checking account for this order.  Still scummy though, I know.  SORRY GUIZE I SUCK <///3

EDIT: Just deleted that 1st post entirely & the white vinyl will be sold at cost to jhulud.  Love the band tremendously and trying to make trades or get offers immediately after a pre-sale of their music was a shitty thing to do regardless of intent. Again, my apologies!

Feel bad for Juan...

Yeah. Me too. 

I should've listened to the few VCers who stepped out and offered to help me out in securing a white copy while I was unable to be online at all due to being in work training class. But nooooooo...I had to be cocky and think that I'd have time. 

Now I guess I'll have to result to secondary market with gouged prices or "collectors" who got extras but of course asking for unreasonable prices and unrealistic trades. Typical in the newjack VC "community" of these days. 

giphy.gif

Yeah. Me too. 

I should've listened to the few VCers who stepped out and offered to help me out in securing a white copy while I was unable to be online at all due to being in work training class. But nooooooo...I had to be cocky and think that I'd have time. 

Now I guess I'll have to result to secondary market with gouged prices or "collectors" who got extras but of course asking for unreasonable prices and unrealistic trades. Typical in the newjack VC "community" of these days. 

giphy.gif

Don't feel bad Juan. It's going to sound like shit anyway!

Yeah. Me too. 

giphy.gif

well the only unrealistic trade is the trade that doesn't happen.

Yeah. Me too. 

giphy.gif

I feel bad about my terrible first post in a community that I've lurked in forever, and though it's looking like a trade has been arranged with a dude I know who owns the Giles Corey CD and will trade it for my extra copy of the white vinyl, if either that falls through (fairly likely with this guy) or the Legrand Society thing is legit about offering more copies down the line I'll buy another white vinyl from them and give it to you at cost.  If the trade does go through I'll do my best to get another white copy for you from Legrand (hopefully they'll announce their orders ahead of time so I can save the date) and will send you a message as soon as I know either way.  This probably sounds like bullshit coming from a new poster but I honestly will get a copy to you at cost if at all possible.

I mostly just wanted to see if I could use the 2 extra copies to trade for some HANL/Giles Corey releases I've been searching for forever since I got into Dan's projects late (fall 2011) and I've never been able to get a hold of them any other way (I missed one of the Giles Corey CDs for $29.99 by a minute after getting the alert one time but that's the closest I've come). 

BTW, regarding Giles Corey, this one's from Flenser Facebook, posted today:

That's coming but we are still working on artwork and I'm not sure how long that will take. Hopefully November. Next pre-order party will be Kayo Dot.