PO NOW: TWIABP - Between Bodies

There is no lyric sheet. Chris Z put out a lyric zine with a few other pieces though.

thanks for the quick reply!

Google and the forum search didn't come up with anything for said lyric zine, could you point me to it? is it digital or physical? in case it is the latter, I guess it's in vain anyway since I'm located in Germany and shipping costs are already killing me when I buy actual records, even locally.  :unsure:

why would you ever want to read the cringeworthy things said on this record, ever?

precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice

precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice

precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice precipice 

and no i’m not talking about your parents fucking, or even their parents’ parents’ parents’ fucking

yeah, admittedly, there are some weird parts here and there, but seriously I think most of those ideas are just weird metaphors for pretty obvious things. Like the one you quoted might just be an expression for "it doesn't matter what happened ages before, it's up to you" or something like that, just in a way more entertaining way. but I guess it's not so important to discuss all those details anyway when in the end it's all just about personal perception, right?  :)

yeah, admittedly, there are some weird parts here and there, but seriously I think most of those ideas are just weird metaphors for pretty obvious things. Like the one you quoted might just be an expression for "it doesn't matter what happened ages before, it's up to you" or something like that, just in a way more entertaining way. but I guess it's not so important to discuss all those details anyway when in the end it's all just about personal perception, right? :)

Or cz just likes to talk out of his ass. Apparently in Shopper's Beef the line "you cannot defeat the darkness, you can only be the light" is racist and that's his problem with Shoppers.

Or cz just likes to talk out of his ass. Apparently in Shopper's Beef the line "you cannot defeat the darkness, you can only be the light" is racist and that's his problem with Shoppers.

This is a mixed race gay man in a band that preaches acceptance and hates on bigotry at every turn. Do you seriously think that's a racist comment? Really? That line is a quote said to him, that's what "quotation marks" mean. The next two words after that quote are "fuck that." I'm guessing he said it was something racist in an interview at one point and all you idiots that don't understand English skewed it in whatever way deemed fit until you could get the chance to shout "racist!" Or it isn't about race at all and no one knows what it means. Your opinion is worse than any lyric on this record.

This is a mixed race gay man in a band that preaches acceptance and hates on bigotry at every turn. Do you seriously think that's a racist comment? Really? That line is a quote said to him, that's what "quotation marks" mean. The next two words after that quote are "fuck that." I'm guessing he said it was something racist in an interview at one point and all you idiots that don't understand English skewed it in whatever way deemed fit until you could get the chance to shout "racist!" Or it isn't about race at all and no one knows what it means. Your opinion is worse than any lyric on this record.

Uh, no, I meant that he believed the line, quoted from a Shoppers song, was racist. Because darkness = black and darkness is bad. I'm not calling it racist, I'm calling his interpretation of the lyrics stupid. It's on TWIABP's tumblr. He goes on to call the Lord of the Rings movies racist because there are no black people in them.

Uh, no, I meant that he believed the line, quoted from a Shoppers song, was racist. Because darkness = black and darkness is bad. I'm not calling it racist, I'm calling his interpretation of the lyrics stupid. It's on TWIABP's tumblr. He goes on to call the Lord of the Rings movies racist because there are no black people in them.

Well that is stupid then. I'm sorry.

Found it: http://theworldisabeautifulplace.com/post/101277238581/i-became-sad-when-i-realized-shoppers-beef-is

Anonymous asked: I became sad when I realized Shoppers Beef is actually about Chris Z taking a blatant jab at the band Shoppers. I feel like he is mean for doing that

“ I have no beef with Meredith from Perfect Pussy (formerly of Shoppers) who wrote the line “you cannot defeat the darkness you can only be the light”, I think she is a phenomenal writer and musician. The line was at the top of the liner notes Silver Year and it really bothered me when I saw it first. It bothered me because I think the constant motif of light being good and dark being bad has a widespread impact particularly in our White Supremacist Capitalist Patriarchy (to borrow a phrase from bell hooks). When casting directors actively exclude People of Color from films like the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings so a bunch of light-skinned folks can win wars against darker skinned people there is a problem. This isn’t an isolated incident (for another recent example see Guardians of the Galaxy), and that’s in fucking made up worlds! They can be diverse and avoid all this bullshit but they don’t and in fact in that case actively created that dichotomy. Light as good/dark as bad is taken for granted as a truth in our society and that’s what my beef is with.

All that however derailed me from looking more into the song the line is from, which is about an abusive relationship. Abuse happens in punk communities and needs to be talked about and for me to co-opt a line about that feels shitty regardless of my intent. It is important that we as a culture don’t just accept the tenants of radicalism we espouse but actively embody them. I know I personally have so much work to do in wrestling with my privileges as a light-skinned Black person, and a Queer person who could pass as straight, as a cis man who is able bodied. The rhetoric around Joyce Manor and stage diving, the quick defense of perpetrators of assault under the guise of “good dude”ness, the white supremacy, transphobia, misogyny, they all exist under a bubble of “we aren’t like society”. If we aren’t, then why do we still embody so much of that which we apparently reject?

So in short, this song is about feeling emotions for a person so deeply that you can only talk about them the way you talk about your favorite things, the same things that you find home in on your worst days. And long live Tumblr.”

- chris z on Shoppers Beef