PO NOW: TWIABP - Between Bodies

They put the new song up on Brooklyn Vegan

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/09/the_world_is_a_4.html

Not really feeling it

The spoken word thing is cool and normally I love stuff like that...I just feel like this dude is pretty lame. All of the stuff in this song  is really cliche and I just feel like he is trying waaaay too hard to come off as poetic.

I'm going to try it again though...I want to like this...

just wanna thank y'all for your support so far. obviously i'm a far smaller label than BWM so it's cool to have people checking out/buying from my store.

you rule!

I think the two splatter variants you're doing are the variants I'm looking forward to the most after BWM's fireswirl thing. "Frosted clear w/ red & black splatter" just sounds really cool to me.

I also realized that I'm a dumbass. For some reason thought that the tour with The Hotelier was a different tour than the one going on right now. Realized this morning that it's the same tour so there isn't going to be an Illinois date that I'll be able to get a tour splatter of Whenever, If Ever. Sad.

• 2 weeks later...

too bad the guy actually doing the spoken word is the corniest motherfucker alive

yeah that's how i feel, i write and read lots of poetry and am usually into this sort of thing so it's got to be pretty ridiculous for me to be as turned off as i was by when he played with them. i way prefer to just hear the instruments breath here, it's not like this band needed another instrument/voice thrown into the mix, especially when it just feels so forced. 

i think he talked more than the rest of the band, at one point going on about how cool it was that a biracial gay man could be on stage with TWIABP and i just felt like really? is the concert, the music, the people there not itself special enough? must we try to imbue some sort of social agenda into it? seems a little self involved to make it about that. 

not really into his poetry in general, seems like a cool dude and it's not terrible, there are nice lines here and there, but it definitely tries too hard and has some super corny lines despite dealing with the essentials like childhood, nostalgia, death.....it just doesn't feel real, and most of his lines feel like stuff that other writers have already done better. i feel like this collaboration speaks volumes about the quality of his work. good for the band just having fun and going for it, and good for Chris Z getting the opportunity, i even ordered the record to see if it grows on me, but i have been about as unimpressed with his work and this collaboration as unimpressed gets. in a lot of ways, he seems to be a culmination of a lot of the stuff i find obnoxious about the north east literary scene. trying to do the artistic/experimental prose but still keeping everything sort of nicely tied up, trying to put forth this really bare honest image but i'm not entirely convinced that he's bleeding. it doesn't feel real. 

sorry for being a hater guys, i bet Chris Z. is cool as shit and i'm still glad this music came to fruition, but i would almost rather the songs have just been instrumental, because yeah from I've heard live/from singles it all felt really forced. 

edit: for what it's worth i thought Space Exploration was pretty solid on it's own though