*delete this thread!*

They wouldn't have had the idea had they not contacted her friend, right?

Nothing she can do. But they went to a designer, looked at her work and redid it.

Unless they'd seen one of the other 100 people who do the same thing, and decided that they just wanted her to do it, then got in contact with her but went with someone else.

I mean...I remember doing this in 1st grade. We made silhouettes and then had to write on them. It was literally a 1st grade craft project.

You may have to read some of the articles that fella posted above...

Also, I think the general consensus is that his friend didn't actually get "ripped off"

well regardless of the terminology, I'd feel upset if someone asked me for help with a design, took the time to help them, only to have them turn around and use the design.

well regardless of the terminology, I'd feel upset if someone asked me for help with a design, took the time to help them, only to have them turn around and use the design.

Seems to me they were still working out the details and she hadn't done work for them, they just fell off during discussions...Either I'm not reading enough into this, or you're reading more than is there.

The shitty thing is as fucked up as this is there is pretty much nothing the artist can do about it.

For instance, last year a dude did design work for the Spike Lee Joint "Old Boy" He didn't get paid (or got paid VERY little). They rejected his designs. Cut to a few months later when Old Boy's marketing kicks in and they drop a bunch of posters, they are almost all complete ripoffs of the designs this dude submitted and had "rejected"

Spike Lee publicly told the dude to go fuck himself and nothing ever came of the dude's attempts at getting compensated for his work as far as I know.

There's definitely nothing that can be done, it was just a crappy thing to do, especially since the degree of separation wasn't that big as far as how this even came to be for her.  Friends of friends that are all around each other all the time, and respect and admire each others work.  It was more a line cross in a more personal sense that makes it a real douchey thing in the end, I suppose I didn't clarify that at the beginning, hahaha.

Also suicide campaign is definitely a perfect punk band name.

There's definitely nothing that can be done, it was just a crappy thing to do, especially since the degree of separation wasn't that big as far as how this even came to be for her.  Friends of friends that are all around each other all the time, and respect and admire each others work.  It was more a line cross in a more personal sense that makes it a real douchey thing in the end, I suppose I didn't clarify that at the beginning, hahaha.

That's a bummer that your pal got douched over by another friend. She should punch the third friend/friend of friend in the nose, maybe?

All these years I was under the impression To Write Love On Her Arms was just some terrible Say Anything style band with an acoustic guitar or some shit.

Edit: OP you could ask John from Punknews, he knows a lot about these kind of things https://twitter.com/johngentile

All these years I was under the impression To Write Love On Her Arms was just some terrible Say Anything style band with an acoustic guitar or some shit.

I used to think they were like a mid-00s scenecore band. Of course that was in the mid-00s. That lasted until someone mentioned TWLOHA and I said "That band probably sucks" and they got really mad at me.

It's only a crappy thing to do if she pitched the idea to them, then they said, "Nah, we're cool," then ended up doing the same type of thing anyway. If you're explaining everything correctly, it sounds like they had the idea, went to an artist who has created something similar to see if she would be interested, then probably had an internal discussion that essentially amounted to "We can do this in-house and save money." This shit happens all the time and it's not illegal or immoral. This is the life of a freelancer. You're constantly chasing down work that may or may not be there. Your friend didn't get fucked, and regardless of whether or not TWLOHA is sketchy (I happen to think they are too, but that's neither here nor there), there is absolutely nothing here to blame them for.

DUDE!  This EXACT thing happened to me.  

I draw pictures of flowers.  Some dudes were looking for drawings of flowers and, naturally, contacted me.  

I responded to let them know that my price per flower petal is variable depending on estimated average size of the flower drawing viewing audience, indexed by the expected flower petal viewing age demographic--subject to a quarterly licensing agreement, obviously.

These assholes never even responded to my request for a preliminary vision and scope agreement.

Later I found out that they got some random jerk to draw it for them!!!!!!