Thom Yorke - Tomorrow's Modern Boxes ( Deluxe White Vinyl )

Guest deleted

The deluxe edition In Rainbows is too tall for an Ikea Expedit :/

yeah! and I find those boxes just a pain to open and pull the records out of.. sooooo I store the box up on top of the expedit with a bunch of my other boxsets... and store the records in generic jackets and sleeves in the radiohead section of my collection.  

2nd press is same as the first...they are just making more to supply the demand.

Source?  Not that I don't believe random folks posting things on message boards (I almost always do), but the information sounds rather detailed and I'd love to read it for myself.

Anyone get a shipping confirmation yet?

Not me, still waiting.

Source?  Not that I don't believe random folks posting things on message boards (I almost always do), but the information sounds rather detailed and I'd love to read it for myself.

Not me, still waiting.

Well the "second pressing" info comes directly from the tomorrowsmodernboxes.com

"A second pressing has commenced. This item will ship early November 2014."

The claim that they are identical to the first press and are just pressing more for demand seems plausible, but appears unfounded (unless someone has a non-speculative link they care to share?)

Well the "second pressing" info comes directly from the tomorrowsmodernboxes.com

The claim that they are identical to the first press and are just pressing more for demand seems plausible, but appears unfounded (unless someone has a non-speculative link they care to share?)

Looks like the "experiment" has worked for ol'Thom... Look for the next Radiohead to drop in a similar manner.

Anyone had a shipping confirmation or know when the cut off for the first pressing was? Ordered mine Saturday afternoon. 

I ordered mine as soon as it went up on Friday and I've had no shipping confirmation, just an order confirmation. I would hope they'd get sent out this week at the very least.

Ah!  Thanks for that.  I had no idea they'd sneak some new info in on there.  The website has been pretty dodgy since the album released, I wouldn't have ever thought to go back there to re-read it.

It's a little unclear what "This item will ship early November 2014" means.  It seems you could read that two ways.  Either the album is the "item" and all orders won't ship until November OR the second pressing is the "item" and it won't ship until November but the first pressing might ship earlier.  It seems to me more likely that none of the orders will be shipping until November, but that's just my guess.  I suppose we'll find out when the shipping confirmations start being sent out.

Looks like the "experiment" has worked for ol'Thom... Look for the next Radiohead to drop in a similar manner.

So far Thom Yorke and Radiohead have done quite a bit of expermenting when it comes to album releases.  I think all of them worked out quite well, but none of them have been repeated.  Releasing a solo side project as digital and/or vinyl is one thing.  Trying that for a major Radiohead release would probably cause riots.  They might still release the digital files on BitTorrent but I'd wager the next Radiohead album will be on CD.

So far Thom Yorke and Radiohead have done quite a bit of experimenting when it comes to album releases.  I think all of them worked out quite well, but none of them have been repeated.  Releasing a solo side project as digital and/or vinyl is one thing.  Trying that for a major Radiohead release would probably cause riots.  They might still release the digital files on BitTorrent but I'd wager the next Radiohead album will be on CD.

Yeah, i agree.. it will be on cd.  .. and not too sure about how well those other "experiments" turned out.  a fixed price for this download kinda suggests that the "pay what you want" experiment didnt work out $o well...

Yeah, i agree.. it will be on cd.  .. and not too sure about how well those other "experiments" turned out.  a fixed price for this download kinda suggests that the "pay what you want" experiment didnt work out $o well...

Actually, it was a huge success:

"In terms of digital income, we’ve made more money out of this record than out of all the other Radiohead albums put together, forever — in terms of anything on the Net. And that’s nuts,"

[As of Oct 2008] The album had been bought 3m times, including downloads, CDs and the $65 'Discboxes' that were pre-orderable when the original download went live. 1.75m of those sales were CDs, and 100,000 Discboxes (a cool $6m in gross revenues from the latter alone).

source

So who knows the real reasoning for the set price

[As of Oct 2008] The album had been bought 3m times, including downloads, CDs and the $65 'Discboxes' that were pre-orderable when the original download went live. 1.75m of those sales were CDs, and 100,000 Discboxes (a cool $6m in gross revenues from the latter alone).

So, there were 100,000 of the LP boxes sold? Wow, I thought they were somewhere in the 10k range

Pay-what-you-want was still very novel at the time for a band of Radiohead's calibur. I feel like the In Rainbows method of distribution was more of a one-time "look at us" thing than a sustainable business model.

Yep. As much as I love Radiohead, it was a (very successful) publicity stunt. Good for one album, and that's about it. Luckily, In Rainbows was a good enough album to stand on it's own and not just be "that one 'pay-what-you-want' album".

Doubt we'll ever see them use that model again, and I think I even remember them saying so themselves.

Actually, it was a huge success:

"In terms of digital income, we’ve made more money out of this record than out of all the other Radiohead albums put together, forever — in terms of anything on the Net. And that’s nuts,"

we can have this conversation somewhere else.. but.  that statement alone doesnt mean it was a HUGE SUCCESS.. it just means that parlophone/capital/etc didnt get their hands into the money pot like they do all all the other albums (digital) sales.  Estimations for the average price paid is well below the $6 mark.  "A big fat failure, then? Not at all." does not mean it was a huge success.  

we can have this conversation somewhere else.. but.  that statement alone doesnt mean it was a HUGE SUCCESS.. it just means that parlophone/capital/etc didnt get their hands into the money pot like they do all all the other albums (digital) sales.  Estimations for the average price paid is well below the $6 mark.  "A big fat failure, then? Not at all." does not mean it was a huge success.  

I'm curious as to your thoughts on this. From my perspective, people may have paid less per album but the band made more money and still had 3 million units moved. To me that seems pretty successful

I find it very hard to believe that there were 100,000 LP box sets sold of In Rainbow....or am I misunderstanding?  Are you talking about the 2 LP box set with the 2 cds?  I could have sworn that Jack White's Lazaretto just broke the record for vinyl sales, but that was significantly lower...like around 65,000 total vinyl sales.

Maybe you mean combined total vinyl records of IN RAINBOWS (deluxe and standard versions) but definitely not the deluxe set...right?