Awesome Goodwill Finds

I feel like the Goodwills in Portland are pretty badly picked over....now that there is that Goodwill auction site.  It seems like all the employees are either savvy to a ton of different markets or perhaps they just auto-google anything media-based, but I live very close to the big one in SE and I've found maybe 3 albums worth spending $4 on in the last year of randomly combing their vinyl bins.  I've never seen a turntable there worth even a second look.

My assumption is that all that stuff is cherry-picked for employee purchase or auctions before it ever hits the floor.

We do go through are donations and sell "the high value" items online, but some times we miss stuff.  Just depends on who sorts it.

It is not cherry picked for employee purchases though (at least not in this area.) We have very strict rules on that and I have fired people for that in the past.

We do go through are donations and sell "the high value" items online, but some times we miss stuff.  Just depends on who sorts it.

It is not cherry picked for employee purchases though (at least not in this area.) We have very strict rules on that and I have fired people for that in the past.

At the one I worked at on the otherhand... (and this was about 11 years ago as well) we were definitely allowed to cherry pick.

There was also a Danzig tape that I just kept in the back so we could listen to it for a while before I put it out.

I get what you're saying though, Ben, and I don't think we were supposed to be allowed to cherry pick, my bosses just didn't really care. If you were going to buy it they made someone else price it though.

In this region all items must be on the sales floor for 24 hours before an employee can purchase it.

If anyone is in the STL area and thinks this isn't being done then let me know.

Other markets however are each ran separately and have a wide array rules.

I think it's all about how the company wants to do, and if you want happy / returning customers, you will let them have an opportunity to buy your products,

In this region all items must be on the sales floor for 24 hours before an employee can purchase it.

If anyone is in the STL area and thinks this isn't being done then let me know.

Other markets however are each ran separately and have a wide array rules.

I think it's all about how the company wants to do, and if you want happy / returning customers, you will let them have an opportunity to buy your products,

Truth.

I mean...we let a bunch of good stuff get out there obviously, and the customers didn't know that some good stuff was getting snatched up, but I get what you're saying for sure. This was in the Northeast, so it was a very different market.

I've had a lot of luck finding good records at thrift stores in Los Angeles over the last few years.  Recent notable finds include Francoise Hardy's Maid in Paris and acid archives listed folk obscurity Propinquity.  However, my best score ever has to be the stack of signed vinyl I pulled out of a thrift store at $5 a pop.  Here's some highlights of the 20+ signed records I got that day:

cars.pngmeat.pngrodney.pngelo.png

queen.png

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I was stoked when I found that...my girlfriend on the other hand was not thrilled at me inspecting everything. 

Usually this specific goodwill location has jack shit for records (meaning they have the usual goodwill bs) 

The Who is on Decca

and all the Stones are on London Records I believe

Haven't had time to clean them, but I listened to the 45s already because they are semi-new and they were all fine. 

Happy I finally came across nevermind by Nirvana on tape.. the cassette looks like it was in a battle but it plays fine..

I went to this store at a good time. They received bunch of 70s funk stuff about ten minutes before I got there... Not really familiar with this genre but the Otis redding record goes for about the price I paid for everything ($30).. there were a bunch of German presses as well. They were all in mint condition too which is why I bought them.

vhqqh4.jpg

zveyr9.jpg

30u33a1.jpg

What other artists should I look for? This was at savers, kinda like a goodwill but they sell records at $2

I had about 20 in my hand but put back some stuff because I'm running out of room lol

From what I remember there were some Issac Hayes, Marvin Gaye, Ohio players, silver connection, herbie Mann, Ben e king, the family, King Floyd, blackbyrds

Happy I finally came across nevermind by Nirvana on tape.. the cassette looks like it was in a battle but it plays fine..

I went to this store at a good time. They received bunch of 70s funk stuff about ten minutes before I got there... Not really familiar with this genre but the Otis redding record goes for about the price I paid for everything ($30).. there were a bunch of German presses as well. They were all in mint condition too which is why I bought them.

vhqqh4.jpg

zveyr9.jpg

30u33a1.jpg

That best of Curtis Mayfield would never leave my platter.

What other artists should I look for? This was at savers, kinda like a goodwill but they sell records at $2

I had about 20 in my hand but put back some stuff because I'm running out of room lol

From what I remember there were some Issac Hayes, Marvin Gaye, Ohio players, silver connection, herbie Mann, Ben e king, the family, King Floyd, blackbyrds

The ones in the pic are for the most part better than what you just mentioned, as far as rarity goes. You should look for bands that you've never heard of that are possibly on private labels or labels you've never heard of. If they have anything by the J.B.'s (Brown's band), or Maceo Parker, Bobby Byrd, Lyn Collins, pretty much anything on the People label, The Pharaohs, The Meters, Earth Wind and Fire S/T,  Kaygees, Nite-Liters, and on and on.