Out now: Sigur Ros - ( ) CLEAR vinyl limited to 4000

Have you listened to any Sigur Ros before? If yes and you like their stuff, I would highly recommend it. 

Frankly, this is worth it for Untitled #8 in itself but the entire album is a great. Just don't expect to recognize any of the words :)

This is my first time listening to Sigur Ros, other than Jonsi's Go.  I found it to be a very rewarding listen, highly recommended from a newcomer's perspective. 

I just find myself very bored when I listen to instrumental music, so I've been skeptical about Sigur Ros. In my mind, if they aren't singing words, it's basically instrumental. Especially if he treats the melodies as an additional instrument, like that "hopelandic" explanation post described.

Honestly, and I will most likely catch flak for this but whatever, this is the only record of theirs that I like. And, I love it.

Nah man, you like what you like.

I love Untitled('sausages kissing') Takk, and Kveikur but have never gotten really into Med Sud, Valtari or Von, and while I like AB, it's not my favourite which is usually a sin among Sigur Ros fans. 

I just find myself very bored when I listen to instrumental music, so I've been skeptical about Sigur Ros. In my mind, if they aren't singing words, it's basically instrumental. Especially if he treats the melodies as an additional instrument, like that "hopelandic" explanation post described.

What type of bands do you usually listen to?

It's 'instrumental' but has crescendos and strong melodies. While I definitely do not get bored with it, there are down tempo moments on the album and if you don't have the patience to wait for the big splashes I could see this not being your bag. 

But I still strongly recommend it... if you don't like it, you can always gift it to another friend in hopes they would spin it :)

By all means, like what you like – since no one is here to force anything on you – but I've got to say that you're missing out on a lot of amazing music if you're too bored with instrumental bands to explore them. I remember being bored to tears by the likes of Sigur Rós, Mogwai, and Godsped back when I was 16. And not to sound condescending or snobby, but once I wrapped my head around the stuff and had it "click", a lot of the generic VC-core suddenly became the overwhelmingly boring music in my library.

I echo the posts regarding Jónsi's vocals being implemented as an additional instrument or melody. They're indecipherable for the most part, and I treat them as another layer to the music, not unlike something comparable to Converge.

By all means, like what you like – since no one is here to force anything on you – but I've got to say that you're missing out on a lot of amazing music if you're too bored with instrumental bands to explore them. I remember being bored to tears by the likes of Sigur Rós, Mogwai, and Godsped back when I was 16. And not to sound condescending or snobby, but once I wrapped my head around the stuff and had it "click", a lot of the generic VC-core suddenly became the overwhelmingly boring music in my library.

I echo the posts regarding Jonsi's vocals being implemented as an additional instrument or melody. They're indecipherable for the most part, and I treat them as another layer to the music, not unlike something comparable to Converge.

It has nothing to do with my age, I promise. I actually saw Godspeed about a month ago. It was... Boring haha. I understand the Converge comparison, Bannon's vocals usually seem to be mixed equally with the instruments, making it sound like one impenetrable wall of noise.

I don't necessarily understand what VC-core is though? Most people here listen to a plethora of genres, myself included.

I would say Sigur Ros is a little more variable that Godspeed and with not as many down-tempo periods. Further, while the vocals do act as an instrument, they do hold there own and separate themselves from the actual music. As rooks mentioned, there will be lines in the vocals that will sounds like something in english that you can hang your hat on and nod along to. 

Highly recommend a youtube or Spotify listen before buying if you have the time. 

It has nothing to do with my age, I promise. I actually saw Godspeed about a month ago. It was... Boring haha. I understand the Converge comparison, Bannon's vocals usually seem to be mixed equally with the instruments, making it sound like one impenetrable wall of noise.

I don't necessarily understand what VC-core is though? Most people here listen to a plethora of genres, myself included.

Yeah, being bored by Godspeed (live) has nothing to do with age whatsoever. That's a mindset if anything. I was just saying that I, personally, was a very musically-sheltered teenager with a narrow spectrum of appreciation for genres. I was missing out on a lot because I had the "no lyrics no care lol" mentality.

VC-core isn't all bad, but it's very safe and tried-and-true: Thrice, Brand New, Title Fight, Alkaline Trio, Gaslight Anthem, Blink-182, Circa Survive, Underoath, Against Me, Paramore, Coheed & Canbria. You know, shit that was all the rage in high school.

I'm gonna drop out of this conversation now, because the Gaslight Anthem and AK3 sound nothing alike.

Title Fight weren't around when I was in high school.

Neither were the Gaslight Anthem for the most part.

AK3 was around well before I was in high school.

Same with blink, thrice, and Brand New.

"That shit you listened to in high school" is pretty subjective, bud. Just ask all those fuckin stoners from the 90s who still swear Bradley Nowell was the second coming of Jesus.

I'm gonna drop out of this conversation now, because the Gaslight Anthem and AK3 sound nothing alike.

I think you're missing the point. Sonically speaking, they're different genres, but obviously Blink-182 doesn't sound like Gaslight Anthem. They just follow a super barebone formula that - to me - has become a little trite since I was a teenager. Breakup lyrics in a verse-chorus-verse-chorus format for 3 minutes is still pretty cool, I guess.

I think you're missing the point. Sonically speaking, they're different genres, but obviously Blink-182 doesn't sound like Gaslight Anthem. They just follow a super barebone formula that - to me - has become a little trite since I was a teenager. Breakup lyrics in a verse-chorus-verse-chorus format for 3 minutes is still pretty cool, I guess.

Complexity doesn't make music better by default, either. Just as a verse-chorus-verse structure doesn't take away from it.

Complexity doesn't make music better by default, either. Just as a verse-chorus-verse structure doesn't take away from it.

Not "better", but certainly more interesting as an adult who's passionate about exploring music and broadening the horizons associated with that music.

I mean, not to sound like a dick, but you're basically entering a Sigur Rós thread to inquire about a Sigur Rós album after claiming that Sigur Rós doesn't do much of anything for you. I would personally say, yes; enrich your tastes and vinyl collection by going out on a limb and picking up a copy. But based off your stance on instrumental music as a whole, I don't think it's going to be up your alley. That's my 2¢, if you're still looking for a verdict.

White Birch is such a great winter album, it's true. (And it's got lyrics.) It's drenched in a whole lot more melancholy than ( ) – perfect for chilly forecast mornings. I need to put it on my car's USB for commuting.

Always saying it more eloquently than I can myself :) . I'm glad I didn't catch crap for that one. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoy ( ) quite a bit. I introduced a coworker to them recently because I had an extra copy of this with a destroyed sleeve and he fell in love. This is now our go to Super Smash Bros. soundtrack, as weird as that sounds.

Hoosierbrad, just give them a quick listen and then decide...this band isn't for everyone but judging by all of the people I wouldn't expect liking music like this who listen to them, they seem pretty universal.

Not "better", but certainly more interesting as an adult who's passionate about exploring music and broadening the horizons associated with that music.

I mean, not to sound like a dick, but you're basically entering a Sigur Rós thread to inquire about a Sigur Rós album after claiming that Sigur Rós doesn't do much of anything for you. I would personally say, yes; enrich your tastes and vinyl collection by going out on a limb and picking up a copy. But based off your stance on instrumental music as a whole, I don't think it's going to be up your alley. That's my 2¢, if you're still looking for a verdict.

I was up for checking out something new, until I got the impression I was inferior for enjoying punk music and having never heard Sigur Ros.

I was up for checking out something new, until I got the impression I was inferior for enjoying punk music and having never heard Sigur Ros.

I got the impression you were already familiar with Sigur Rós before entering this thread, and made it pretty clear that more instrumentally-driven bands bore you. Kind of like "hey guys, I can see you hyping up this thread. Tell me this album is better than everything else the band has done so I can buy it with confidence".

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But Derek didn't even say anything about punk. He just named some mallcore bands that are big around these parts. I don't think it was an insult but apparently you do.

And Sigur Ros aren't instrumental enough as far as I am concerned. There's is TOO much singing for me.

But Derek didn't even say anything about punk. He just named some mallcore bands that are big around these parts. I don't think it was an insult but apparently you do.

I actually went back and expanded the list to accommodate more VC favorites that aren't necessarily punk. Got to keep things fair. I own records by a handful of those bands and still enjoy them, so I'm really not trying to imply that anyone is "inferior" for enjoying Thrice. My initial point was that there's a metric ton of music out there that folks are going to miss out on if they dismiss groups with foreign vocals (or no vocals). And I don't want that – I'd like to see as many people possible enjoying as much good music as they can. Especially if it involves expanding your musical palette, which is always healthy, and something I personally strive for.