Universal will be reportedly upping prices on 600+ records 24%-80% starting January

Kanellos

Just confirmed with our Uni rep that this initial list is in fact not the true list, it was sent out without anyone reviewing it before it went out, there are new price codes being created for some increases, the actual list has yet to be disclosed, so everyone can pretty much move on.. nothing to see here..

Not going to read through all 3 pages to see if this has been mentioned, but this seems like a marketing ploy, from companies who sell Universal titles.  I have no insider info, but it seems likely that companies know this list isn't accurate, but are using it as a way to try and push sales in the next month.  "Oh, rumor has it that Universal is upping their prices, and here is a sourceless, unconfirmed list of the new prices.  Let's send an email out to people with this most likely untrue list, so that hopefully a bunch of people will feel the need to pick up these releases from us before they double in price".  - $RC (not actually an SRC quote, before anyone gets mad).

Even the OP's quoted post, wherever it is from, really seems to be pushing the purchasing of these titles RIGHT NOW.  BUY THEM NOW BEFORE YOU CANT.  Seems fishy.

While some are dismissing this and some are buying completely, I think it very well could be true. I'll point to three recent examples: Soundgarden - Surperunknown 20th: 200g vinyl in cheap package with new artwork. $60

Smashing Pumpkins - Adore (or MC or TAFH): nice package, but pressed at United. $35

And the most significant...

Newbury Comics - all their limited exclusive releases: reissuing popular music staples on limited colored vinyl and charging 50-100% more.

The labels have been looking at these releases and have finally decided to put a larger policy/pricing change in place. Why not? They've had no problem selling any of the above examples.