Definitive band of the 1970s

Either Led Zeppelin or The Who - although both groups kind of declined towards the end (also due to the deaths of their respective drummers), I can't think of bigger and more iconic bands who are synonymous with the Seventies. Both had nearly flawless discographies, couldn't have had a better line-up and also crossed over by making movies (especially The Who). I'd add Sabbath to the mix, but I haven't heard their post-Master of Reality albums, so I can't say for sure. Same goes for Deep Purple.

The Clash started in the late Seventies and released London Calling - their most important work - in late 79, so I wouldn't say it's fair to claim they were the definitive band of the entire decade.

Why Sabbath over Zeppelin?

and

Why Zeppelin over Sabbath?

I personally just prefer Sabbath to Zep. I'm not really sure why, just never got super in the Zeppelin. If we're going definitive, it probably actually is Zeppelin because I think more folks dig them, but Sabbath pretty much single handedly created the sound of most of the bands I really enjoy listening to.

sabbathwhitemuscle1.jpg