Fall Out Boy - American Beauty/American Psycho

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, is this better or not as good as Save Rock and Roll?

Worse. In my opinion, at least. FOB is basically my favorite band, and have been for years. But, I can't help but treat this album like it's just a filler between SRAR and whatever's next (and hopefully better.) It just feels so mismatched and slapped together without much thought. Granted, it was only recorded in 3 weeks... and it unfortunately shows. The songwriting and production feels kinda lazy like they just phoned it in. Songs like Jet Pack Blues, Fourth of JulyFavorite Record, and Immortals are some of the cheesiest FOB songs yet. They're grating to listen to. AB/AP, Uma Thurman, Twin Skeleton's and Irresistible are by far the strongest tracks on it. Again, just my opinion. 

Worse. In my opinion, at least. FOB is basically my favorite band, and have been for years. But, I can't help but treat this album like it's just a filler between SRAR and whatever's next (and hopefully better.) It just feels so mismatched and slapped together without much thought. Granted, it was only recorded in 3 weeks... and it unfortunately shows. The songwriting and production feels kinda lazy like they just phoned it in. Songs like Jet Pack Blues, Fourth of July and Favorite Record, and Immortals are some of the cheesiest FOB songs yet. They're grating to listen to. AB/AP, Uma Thurman, Twin Skeleton's and Irresistible are by far the strongest tracks on it. Again, just my opinion. 

I think it's better than SRAR. Maybe that's just because I thought SRAR was an enormous disapointment on release (bands can change, but the poppier sound REALLY felt like a step back). 

I don't think it works well as an album. I'll give you that. I think it's got some good songs on it, but the way it was "slapped together" is evident; there's no flow. "Jet Pack Blues" is almost favorite of the bunch, only second to "Twin Skeletons". I must say, I'm surprised you think it's "grating to listen to"; I find it quite melodic, emotional, and captivating. On a similar note, the title track is "grating" to me. Incredibly repetitive and about two minutes longer than it should be. It's lazy. 

I have no qualms with the production. 

You can take my opinion with a grain of salt. In fact, many people find it shocking to hear that I believe Infinity on High to be Fall Out Boy's magnum opus.

late to the discussion... but i think this albums alright... jet pack blues is probably my least favorite tho, contrary to what seems to be the popular opinion... still have yet to pick up a copy

I didn't like that track at first, but it's been promoted to "tied for first" with "Twin Skeletons". Also, I haven't picked one up yet but I probably will. Has there been a pattern with color? Is it more clear at some retailers and more blue at others?

Mine looks more glacier-like than than the ones I've seen here.

That aside, I ordered my copy from Amazon and my record is more than a little warped. Plays fine though and sounds a lot better than the other two FOB records I own (FAD and SRAR).

Send Amazon an email, they have great customer service