Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show

Ha, when I watched the episode last week with the guy from Better Call Saul I told a friend that I thought Stewart was going to be gone in a year.  Forget the exact comment he made some comment that made me think he wasn't long for the job.

Sucks, can't imagine anyone doing that as well as him.

yea, I saw this and I was thinking something was up. When the guy was talking about breaking bad and was like, you want it to end on a high note and not fade away and be forgotten about. You could tell that Stewart was taking that in pretty good. 

Thoroughly upset. Watching Colbert and Stewart has been an every night ritual for me for the last 10 years or so. Figured it would end sooner or later though.

Ex Yahoo CEO is wanting to offer Stewart $100M a year to start a new show. So who knows he may start back again.

Whats everyone's opinion on Larry Wilmore though? Obviously not another Colbert.....

Whats everyone's opinion on Larry Wilmore though? Obviously not another Colbert.....

I like Wilmore's show. I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have the "range" that the Colbert Report had (dozens of recurring segments, characters, like a different show every night), but I'm getting used to it.

I also dig how it's not always a funny show. They can get serious without it feeling out of place, and they're not constantly beating you over the head with the "comedy" aspect of it.

John Oliver hosting the show when Jon was out directing his movie was amazing.  I cannot imagine he'd leave the literal freedom of saying whatever the fuck he wants on HBO though.  Maybe he would?  Nah, I doubt it.  

I am very sad to see him go. He has made me cry many many times and his stuff is spot on. 

I'd kill to see Lewis Black take over.

Either one of these would be absolutely fucking awesome.

imagine either of them taking the helm and having Stewart come on for an interview down the road.

Like everyone else I cannot believe this will be happening.

I cannot imagine Stewart is leaving for any reason other than to be with his family. 

I'm sure that's the reason. 

I'd also bet that at some point he has a different show of some sort.  Probably a weekly not a nightly.

Speaking as a fan the best thing would be to have John Oliver and Jon Stewart switch jobs.

I like Wilmore's show as well. I agree that the format has less variety than Colbert, but he also only has a handful of episodes under his belt. We may see a few format shake-ups as the show continues to age, assuming it sticks around. That said, I think the round-table nature creates the potential to be more dynamic out of the box, so maybe they won't tinker too much. 

I like Wilmore's show as well. I agree that the format has less variety than Colbert, but he also only has a handful of episodes under his belt. We may see a few format shake-ups as the show continues to age, assuming it sticks around. That said, I think the round-table nature creates the potential to be more dynamic out of the box, so maybe they won't tinker too much. 

Feels a bit like a cheap Bill Maher to me in that respect.

Feels a bit like a cheap Bill Maher to me in that respect.

I like Bill Maher, but he's extremely biased and runs the show exactly how he wants (if a discussion gets away from him, he quickly changes the subject). 

I like that Larry's show (so far) focuses on one specific topic for the whole show. It might be better as an hour and I think they only scratch the surface sometimes. Though, I think the show has been doing a great job selecting their panels. I think that's my favorite thing about the show. 

• 5 months later...

Watching it tonight as well and it makes me so sad. I just couldn't get into Larry Wilmore's show at all, but I'm going to give it some time to find its voice and try again sometime soon. John Oliver's show, however, has been amazing from episode 1 and fills that void that The Colbert Report, and now The Daily Show have left.