Cassettes - What is the point?

I agree with everything mentioned above, the main reason I got into the format is because I can grab several independent releases to check out and not go broke (how vinyl was 7 or so years ago).

It's great if you're into supporting DIY bands/labels, they're able to put out affordable releases on a physical format, which I assume everyone on these boards prefers over digital. With that said buy some of my tapes! :D

buy some of my tapes! :D

Exactly!  Buy his tapes.  I have always enjoyed cassettes, as they were the first medium of physical music that I could go about on my own, making my own purchases to start my first collection.  I regret parting ways with all my old 90s alt-rock and radio punk tapes when I thought that CDs would be the "do all-say all" in music.  I collect tapes today because, like Rambo said, tapes are the affordable option (for both the label and the consumer) when it comes to physical media; exactly how vinyl was years ago.

Speaking of cassettes, I do believe I have a cassette coming out on Rambo's label here very soon.  What a coincidence!

Exactly!  Buy his tapes.  I have always enjoyed cassettes, as they were the first medium of physical music that I could go about on my own, making my own purchases to start my first collection.  I regret parting ways with all my old 90s alt-rock and radio punk tapes when I thought that CDs would be the "do all-say all" in music.  I collect tapes today because, like Rambo said, tapes are the affordable option (for both the label and the consumer) when it comes to physical media; exactly how vinyl was years ago.

Speaking of cassettes, I do believe I have a cassette coming out on Rambo's label here very soon.  What a coincidence!

They're up now ;)

http://hotvodkarecords.limitedrun.com/

Seems like a lot of noise and experimental bands are doing cassette only releases for physical format these days.  I've been putting off diving into tapes for a while now but it's really just a matter of finding a good deck to integrate into my system.

Cassettes are not a recent trend for noise/experimental artists. They have consistently had cassette only releases thru the years.

The vast majority of cassettes I own are noise/experimental tapes or punk/hardcore band demos. Most of them are exclusive to that format as well. (or at least were at the time I bought them) I generally don't buy a tape if I can get it on vinyl or cd instead.

It will be interesting to see where tapes start to head in the next year or two, so many labels and bands pushing this right now, with more of the major independents testing the waters too.

it really is just a matter of time before big labels begin to get their claws into trends the underdog, collecting, fan base veers toward to get away from said big label