PO now: David Bowie - Five Years 1969-1973 box set

This is a pretty sweet looking disc dude. Parlo stamp on front of sleeve. "Bowie" - big as life, dead center of label, just above spindle hole

My local store broke up the box set so some of us could get our hands on these individually. You and I were in the same boat, as far as this release

Whats the price on the boxset at LL?

This is a pretty sweet looking disc dude. Parlo stamp on front of sleeve. "Bowie" - big as life, dead center of label, just above spindle hole

My local store broke up the box set so some of us could get our hands on these individually. You and I were in the same boat, as far as this release

Glad to hear this. Anyone who has it (this may have been mentioned already) how do these sound?

@throughbeingcruel -

Did not bother to look dude. I'm sorry. They only had one, from what I saw. Prob around $200, knowing they seem to price things slightly lower than what is spoken of here

Word. I'm stopping in tomorrow to grab Blackstar. Second trip this week, and one to Tracks. This shit is killing me.

Maybe my youth is bleeding through me but I actually didnt know who David Bowie was when I saw a bunch of people on facebook posting that he died. Iam so sorry for his families loss. I feel bad for his fans to since he made them happy.

Dude... No disrespect, but are you 5?  How is that even possible? That's like saying "I've never heard of The Beatles."

Can anyone explain to me why the Blackstar thread got locked almost 24 hours after the last comment was made? Clearly it wasn't out of control.

The immature users decided to be immature with their comments especially the last guy Derek who was just instigating.  Hopefully that attitude doesn't come into this thread by me making this comment.

The immature users decided to be immature with their comments especially the last guy Derek who was just instigating. Hopefully that attitude doesn't come into this thread by me making this comment.

It just seems a little crazy to lock a thread after two "immature" posts (this is the internet after all) 20+ hours afterward. Anywho, I'll drop it. No need to get this thread locked too.

Maybe my youth is bleeding through me but I actually didnt know who David Bowie was when I saw a bunch of people on facebook posting that he died. Iam so sorry for his families loss. I feel bad for his fans to since he made them happy.

The good news is you're in for a treat - his music is pretty incredible. Get yourself a Spotify account and start listening. Ziggy Stardust, Man Who Sold The World, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs, and Low just to start. But even any greatest hits will do to get you going.

You might get made fun of for not knowing who he is (or possibly other influential artists), but use it as an opportunity to get your mind blown - if not by Bowie, then by the many artists you've never heard. Some of my first listens to artists like Bowie, Van Morrison, Big Star, Tom Waits, etc. were so important to me in my teenage years....

Can anyone explain to me why the Blackstar thread got locked almost 24 hours after the last comment was made? Clearly it wasn't out of control.

I saw that and it was stupid. There has been way more out of control stuff on this board than what was going on there. Now, people can't post leads for other people to find that damn record. Unlock that shit!

You may not think you have heard Bowie's music. But after giving it a listen you will realize either you had actually heard something he wrote, or you will recognize where other artists have gotten their inspiration.

Changes, Under Pressure (Bowie/Queen), Heroes, Fame are all songs I had heard before in passing before actually listening to his albums.

As the other folks have already said, you may not know who he is, but you've definitely heard a couple of his songs over the years, I'd wager. Life On Mars seems like it's been in a ton of movies/tv shows, tons of his songs have just saturated pop-culture over the years. I feel the same way about Bowie that I do about Peter Gabriel; if you don't like at least one of the songs he's been involved with, you're a liar.