PO: NOW! - Caspian - Dust and Disquiet (9/25/15)

10 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

This thread popping up gave me the urge to spin again and damn what a record. I still think Waking Season is their best but this is close. 

I feel you. I actually spun my tour copy this morning. Ugh. It hits so hard. Love love love. Sad Heart is so good live. Are you going to be able to catch them?

9 minutes ago, deer said:

I still need a copy of this record. So damn good. Maybe I should pick up the recent repress or somethin'.

But if you pick up the most recent repress are you going to complain it isn't the rarest / hardest to find?... : )

Just buy a copy. One less reason to bump your WTB thread every, fucking, day for a [tour] pressing you're wanting at cost (won't happen). Variant hunting is dumb if they all sound good, even more so when it's an album still in print. This album is flawless. Just buy it. Amazon. $30 to your doooooooooooor. Better yet, go to a show and support the music you like. That's the last I want to hear of it. You're welcome.

Edited by Dave Grohl

2 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

But if you pick up the most recent repress are you going to complain it isn't the rarest / hardest to find?... : )

Just buy a copy. One less reason to bump your WTB thread every, fucking, day for a [tour] pressing you're wanting at cost (won't happen). Variant hunting is dumb if they all sound good, even more so when it's an album still in print. This album is flawless. Just buy it. Amazon. $30 to your doooooooooooor. Better yet, go to a show and support the music you like. That's the last I want to hear of it. You're welcome.

Yeah, true. Will keep myself quieter. I've been trying to knock down the bumping lately, not going to bump it anymore unless I have updates.

10 minutes ago, deer said:

Yeah, true. Will keep myself quieter. I've been trying to knock down the bumping lately, not going to bump it anymore unless I have updates.

I just find it to make more sense to spend less on variants when you have the option. Not a big deal if you gran then for $1-3 when they're in print or whatever, but why pay more for variants when they sound the same? Look at it for the long run. Think about how much you spend on just variant hunting. Funny thing is that sometimes those fancy variants don't sound as good. Black is the same album as super sex splatter. Sure the splatter is sexy, but it's the same album. Ya know? I mean, do what you want obviously, you spend your money the way you want, but weren't you saying last week how you were broke and wish you had money for a pre order? If only you weren't shelling out your hard earned cash for OOP colors. Pilsner with splatter is a no brainer for someone who was hoping for the tour splatter. It's the cost of what you were hoping to get the tour pressing for (check), it's a colored variant (check), it's in print (check). Do it to it.  Just my friendly (asshole-y, yet I think justified) advice.

Edited by Dave Grohl

Just now, Derek™ said:

You picked a good one if you had to go balls-out for one band.  I'm sure the amount you've spent on Caspian vinyl over the years is dizzying.

I honestly can't think of any other band I'd do this for. What helps me justify it on top of them being an amazing band is what great people they are. I don't think I've met a more humble, and down to earth group of dudes. My friends that tagged along for the show were both making it a point to tell me how genuine and nice Phil is. My old roommate went to their last show in LA and was talking to Phil about me, and he says 'You know Matt? That dude is a legend!", like, what, ... no. Cmon? Me? Phil, haha, no. But, man, who else can you say is that genuinely nice. I sure as fuck can't think of anyone. Still catches me off guard (in a refreshing way). It's a shame to think how rare it is [for band members to be genuine] when meeting them at shows and such.

From time to time I think of making a spreadsheet for it (just need to collect all the receipts). But ball-parking it from memory is dizzying enough. I am very thankful that I've had a small handful of very, very nice people help me out, getting deals that still amaze me.  When I think back I don't know how I would have gotten some of the EU pressings without help, I got super lucky with the YATC by winning it in a MS forum raffle, and a few right place right time. I definitely don't take it for granted and try to spread my good fortune as much as possible.  If you honestly want to know, I'll make the spreadsheet and PM you it.

On a side note, I miss our chats. Text me sometime and lets catch up.

19 minutes ago, jmsmusic said:

uh oh... I sincerely hope mine doesn't show up in white ha.. but it probably will.. I don't know why but I've never been able to appreciate white vinyl

I'm spinning my white now; it sounds great, if a little quiet for my tastes. 

Would realllllly like to get that pilsner though.  I almost splurged for a newbury or tour variant, because I love how those look, but this pilser is even better IMO.  Matt, can you find out how many they're going to have on tour?  I don't want to bug Phil on Facebook or anything about it and I know you're tight with them. 

51 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I'm spinning my white now; it sounds great, if a little quiet for my tastes. 

Would realllllly like to get that pilsner though.  I almost splurged for a newbury or tour variant, because I love how those look, but this pilser is even better IMO.  Matt, can you find out how many they're going to have on tour?  I don't want to bug Phil on Facebook or anything about it and I know you're tight with them. 

I meant appreciate as in the look! haha the newbury one looks great, and it's only 19.99, albeit before shipping. Amazon was around $24. But yes pilsner w silver splatter really looks amazing too.. I'm a sucker for.. splatter and anything clear/translucent.

1 hour ago, jmsmusic said:

I meant appreciate as in the look! haha the newbury one looks great, and it's only 19.99, albeit before shipping. Amazon was around $24. But yes pilsner w silver splatter really looks amazing too.. I'm a sucker for.. splatter and anything clear/translucent.

oh yeah white vinyl is kinda boring.  But my white copy of of Sleepmakeswaves "....and so we destroyed everything" is one of my favorite records, because it sounds fucking tremendous. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

Just now, fizio59 said:

I'm pretty sure you will own that one soon man, one way or another ;)

Every since I completed my collection, it has made me more anxious to get anything new that comes out. Haha. If I don't get it right away I get scared I won't get it. But I ordered it. If I don't get it, I'm sure I'll get one some way or another.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

So what you're saying, Matt, is that you may end up with some spare jackets?  I can shoot you some funds to offset that white copy if you were up for mailing that extra jacket.  Your call entirely.  I know I'd be miffed if Amazon did me like that.  Are Caspian's tour stock guaranteed to be pilsner?

Well I might return one, but I'm waiting till the next one comes to see. I'll let you know. If it comes down to it I'll keep it, and send it to you if you can't get a spare jacket. I guess they just had some extra white in there, and that's what I got. At least their return process is easy and I get a month to do it. And from what I've seen that's the only variant of Dust that has been going out.